Frank's new still

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Frank's new still

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the PM about your equipment list and asking me to keep quiet about it, so I promise I wont mention it on here... ok?

BTW could you please PM me some pics of it? I promise I'll keep it to myself just like your PM 8-} :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :)) :mrgreen: :dance: :dance: :D :clap: :ugeek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Frank's new still

Postby Kimbo » Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm

BAA!.....HAA!....haa!... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Sun May 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Same as Kimbo :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 8:29 pm

ha ya finally let ppl know 8-) been hard work reading the flak and having to keep my gob shut . Now do you know how much FLAK you get when ya mention builds and don't get the pic's up here looks a bit like this :text-worthless: ........................................................ :text-yeahthat: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-protest: :text-+1:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Sun May 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey Qld.Andy
when you get around to reading this, could you please provide photos of the four fish I caught above asap.
Thanks mate ;-)

McStill is this a subforum BTW??? :teasing-neener:
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun May 20, 2012 8:46 pm

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
grumpthehermit

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Frank wrote:

No dickhead it's a topic in the "sub forum" called "dunder pit" 8-} :)) :D :)) 8-}

You aint caught nuttin yet, post pics or I'll put up another poll re your membership status :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Anyone remember the mad max flick unloaded gun pointed at this lad , tells him after he replies " that's dishonest (pause) low "
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Sun May 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Frank

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Frank wrote:
McStill wrote:.... post pics or I'll put up another poll re your membership status ...

Well, fair enough I suppose too. A strange demand, for sure but this is, afterall, your forum (apparently).

I hope I have now passed the sudden test/audition.....

BZZZZZZZZZZZT :handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 am

Frank wrote:Hey Qld.Andy
when you get around to reading this, could you please provide photos of the four fish I caught above asap.
Thanks mate ;-)

I cant find 4 fish ugly enough :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Frank » Mon May 21, 2012 9:16 am

McStill wrote:
Frank wrote:
McStill wrote:.... post pics or I'll put up another poll re your membership status ...

Well, fair enough I suppose too. A strange demand, for sure but this is, afterall, your forum (apparently).

I hope I have now passed the sudden test/audition.....

BZZZZZZZZZZZT :handgestures-thumbdown:

OK, too nice a day for 'fishing' I reckon......so here 'tis :handgestures-thumbupleft:

(with due apologies for not cleaning it properly to fellow members of the Far North NSW Still Building Cooperative) ;-)
Frank

Postby R-sole » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 am

Farkin hell! How long is that leibig? :geek:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am

I like the idea of a longer condenser cool distillate well away from open flames :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby SBB » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 pm

5Star wrote:Farkin hell! How long is that leibig?

5Star the product tube is 1.8 or 6 foot in imperial.
Water jacket is 1 meter.
The most commonly quoted safe working distance Ive read, suggests a minimum safe working distance of 6 feet between distillate output and a naked flame.
Frank intends using this as a wood fired still some time in the future. Personaly I wouldnt want to have a jar of spirit any closer to an open fire when I was distilling.

Frank Id keep a support or prop under that condencer anytime its connected to the keg, even when not in use....thats a lot of condencer swinging off the 3/4 tube up near the union.
If or when you get around to using it as a wood fired job take into consideration that ALC vapours are heavier than air and will sink to floor level.
For that reason you should always try and keep your product output at a lower level than the fire, this even applies to gas rings though I rarley see people bother.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm

yep its 1m waterjacket on almost 2m adjustable arm.

The idea of the length (as SBB says) is very much safety first re flames 8-)
but also, most certainly to give me the opportunity to get any required condensor adjustments (angle, waterjacket flowrate etc) working right with a 'little' bit more margin for error as I learn...... well, thats the theory anyway.....

and BigDon always reckons size matters :laughing-rolling:

Hey SBB I promise the condensor was only freestanding for about 5 minutes for the photos and I didnt move it and there was no wind...it wont be freestanding, whilst attached, again ;-)
Frank

Postby crow » Mon May 21, 2012 5:37 pm

I have the same size leibig for the same reason except my water jacket is bout 1500mm bit over the top but works fine and my burner was placed on 2 layers of bricks just to make it harder for the vapor to get to it no chance of any vapor anyway unless water stops flowing through the condenser , which I guess could happen
Last edited by crow on Mon May 21, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby SBB » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm

croweater wrote: unless water stops flowing through the condenser , which I guess could happen

According to Murphy's law ......this could happen one day........and it will probably happen when your back is turned and you are least expecting it. ;-)
Last edited by SBB on Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 pm

yeah or you could cross all ya tees dot all your i's and then the fucking thing pukes , blocks and still tries to blow the shed to smitherines . Won't be falling for that again
crow

Postby bt1 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Nice to see another long leibig...They can handle SA shitty summers with ease...

jacket is 1.2m and total lenght 1.5m

Other beaut thing is makes it easy to move your hot point around the condenser with a little gas flow adjustments

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit