Frank's new still

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Frank's new still

Postby crow » Tue May 22, 2012 3:26 pm

KK Im sure not going to start telling ppl what they should or shouldn't do but what i can say is my flame sits on a hearth of dry stacked bricks off the ground and my take off point is about 2mtrs from the open flames and lower than them . my burner is in a wooden floored shed at this stage so just one more reason to get it up a bit :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby maheel » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 pm

have you run it yet

this thread is way to long already

"arewethereyet"
maheel

Postby audistiller » Tue May 22, 2012 5:43 pm

SBB wrote:Regardless of any comments made so far maybe the following link may help some understand the dangers involved.......

I have uploaded two files in the "Safety Discussion" thread with some good information on this subject. The risk of fire and explosion is definitely not taken seriously enough I believe, and I for one would hate the thought of even someone here having something go very wrong.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1357
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby bt1 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Just to follow up on q raised...

if condenser is to short you simply can't run the still hard enough... and i run as hard at 80% (using reflux coil adjustments) as i can get. Never been a fan of this drip by drip...it adds a harshness to spirit imho.

If your on a 3 ring burner you won't get close enough to really push hard so i upgraded last year to this puppy...

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/images/mongo23.gif in 32 config...F does it belt out the heat

50lt heat up down by over hour and 15 ins. c/f 3 ring burner...beautiful thing is lower run time just about makes up for extra gas use...still get near 4 runs on 9kg bottle.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 pm

yeah heard they'er good but I'm knocking up a BD747 , if that don't make it squirt like a horny bitch nothing will PS and yeah Frank when do you think you'll fire this new girl
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Frank wrote:and, for the record, SBB and Stubbydrainer can keep drinking until 5:30am but be nice and friendly by morning tea :laughing-rolling:

Dobbin prick :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby SBB » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 pm

:teasing-poke: ........... and in closing ( ;-) ) may I say that the Cooperative thanks you for your interest in this build and its postive safety and use features

and ...well, IMHO :text-woo: :dance: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby audistiller » Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Given only a very short time, would you be quite happy with the jump into a full size unit Frank..?
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby R-sole » Wed May 23, 2012 6:13 am

bt1 wrote:Just to follow up on q raised...

if condenser is to short you simply can't run the still hard enough... and i run as hard at 80% (using reflux coil adjustments) as i can get. Never been a fan of this drip by drip...it adds a harshness to spirit imho.

If your on a 3 ring burner you won't get close enough to really push hard so i upgraded last year to this puppy...

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/images/mongo23.gif in 32 config...F does it belt out the heat

50lt heat up down by over hour and 15 ins. c/f 3 ring burner...beautiful thing is lower run time just about makes up for extra gas use...still get near 4 runs on 9kg bottle.

cheers
bt1

Yep, too slow will bring a harshness into the spirit for sure.

Too fast will drag tails through though ;-) :oops:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 am

Cheers 5Star,

that puts a reason to why i quit the run early I guess..around the 75% mark ...it's all about a good hearts slice and not being greedy...avoids that wet cardboardy odour... makes perfect sense once its considered.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby R-sole » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

What i'm actually saying is that if i get up over 4-5l/hr on my rig it'll drag tails from start to finish. Right through the heads and hearts.

I don't think that's uncommon. I've heard all sorts of people say the same for their stripping runs and it works the same for drawing too fast from a reflux.

it's just not good practice.

4l/hr is perfect for me, which is a pity as i have to swap over to a low pressure reg for spirit runs.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

Really thats interesting , When I do my spirit run If I use one of those adjustable regs I should be right do you think
crow

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit