Starlink

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Starlink

Postby howard » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:05 pm

ruddy, have tou got a spare sprinkler for summer?
or maybe you can plumb the dish into your product condenser?
distill & surf.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/06/starlink-dish-overheats-in-arizona-sun-knocking-user-offline-for-7-hours/
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 pm

LOL mate it's summer here and we are close to putting the fire on :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Well I got a reply from my support ticket and they did suggest to separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi which I did also do a hardwire (ethernet) speed test, after I did the changes in the app it was suggested to turn off the power supply for a period of time then turn it back on to reset the router. Man it did make a difference :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The hardwire test

ping 39ms DL 232.99Mbps UL 32.78

Did another one on wifi

ping 43 DL 52.09 UL 24.73

So my old linux box is staying hardwired to the router :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SWMBO's laptop

ping 39 DL 148.51 UL 21.59

So much better and with just a couple of tweaks it has made a difference
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Well I got a reply from my support ticket and they did suggest to separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi which I did also do a hardwire (ethernet) speed test, after I did the changes in the app it was suggested to turn off the power supply for a period of time then turn it back on to reset the router. Man it did make a difference :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The hardwire test

ping 39ms DL 232.99Mbps UL 32.78

Did another one on wifi

ping 43 DL 52.09 UL 24.73

So my old linux box is staying hardwired to the router :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SWMBO's laptop

ping 39 DL 148.51 UL 21.59

So much better and with just a couple of tweaks it has made a difference

Hardwired test 232.99Mbps :shock: I am in town on the coalitions nbn, fibre to nowhere(fttn) and am flat out getting 25Mbps :angry-banghead:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:03 pm

Just did an update on my linux distro, by the time it was going to show the download speed it had finished downloading :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

As for Bluc if your stuck on the Neutered National Broadband thats the fastest speed you will EVER get so go spend that small amount to get a dish, router and power supply and get on the early adopter list as I'm sure down the track this will bring quite a few benefits :handgestures-thumbupleft: On a return message they did say another batch of sats were going up before xmas and my coverage will be improved over 200% so the average speed will be 400-600Mbps. Now sometime next year when this goes to the official launch the speed will then increase to the 100-200Gbmps range and still the same monthly fee and unlimited data.

So the Neutered National Broadband is old technology and will be left dead in the water as 5G is rolled out more and this low level sat matures into a full on game changer.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby pistolknight79 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm

i better get on board
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pm

pistolknight79 wrote:i better get on board

Well mate for the $806 investment I reckon this will be one to savour for quite a few years.

Now for the speeds for me they are hovering 200Mbps which is what 4 times what fibre can give :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: for a bit of fun I found a 1.2 gig file to down load and 20 minutes later it was finished and man what a good movie it was as it will hit the box office after xmas :laughing-rolling:

Got bit torrent going on my linux box and man I am finding it hard to believe the speeds I'm seeing, now in linux I do get to talk with other users and they are laughing at our country as they say they have had gigabit internet for a decade or more and in most parts it's free.

When it comes to the net this country is 3rd world and who would of thought a sat could solve the issue, :scared-eek: well I took a gamble and it looks like it did pay off but do be aware they are still in beta testing but your address will be assigned a number as a first responder and they are saying first in best dressed.

A clear line of site is needed and the sat needs to point to due south so just make sure for your mounting point you have all the box's checked.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby glingwood » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Good to hear you've got it sorted, a couple of points: it doesn't matter where you point the dish, out of the box it's near vertical, on power up it will orient to the best current position, as noted this will change slightly as more birds go up, secondly the Starlink app gets you to "check for obstructions" using the camera on your phone, I had a fairly clear sky (some trees blocking bits of it) the app told me to find a clearer mounting point, I ignored it and chose what I thought was a pretty clear place thinking if it didn't work I'd drop the trees, there was no need, I think the app errs on the side of caution. I live in a small rural community where sky muster was the only option (other than dial up, yep 2021 and Telstra can only offer dial up on shared lines or NBN via sky muster) not sure how you can get "broadband" the "B" in NBN from an overloaded satellite 35000k's away, anyway in the last 2 weeks 5 of my neighbours have come around, run speed tests on my laptop and have cancelled their Telstra rubbish and ordered Starlink, coupled with the 2 guys that saw mine when I first got it and now have theirs up and running that's 7 new installs in less than a month, a couple have received their boxes already, and are waiting for me to go around and mount them, someone at Starlink must be thinking where the hell is this place called Bingie? I've got mates in Canberra, you would think that the National Capitol would have reasonable internet, but no! the fuck up that NBN has become has got them ordering Starlink, I can't wait for the overpriced under performing piece of crap that NBN is, with it's overpaid exec's finally goes under, Ok rant off, if you don't have fibre to the door just get Starlink. Now! where did I put that still?
glingwood

equipment: T500 alembic dome stripper, Boka 2" X 50" spp packed, 4" 4 plate bubbler, 25 35, 50L electric boilers.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:51 am

G'Day Guy's,
Decided to instal qbittorrent and download a 1.25 gig file just to see how long it would take :handgestures-thumbupleft: well 29 minutes to download so not too shabby me thinks :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It did start pretty slow then all of a sudden a few seeds got connected and I saw 8.6MiB/s :handgestures-thumbupleft: so later I'll do another one to check on the speeds but trying to do this on the old ADSL would of taken days....
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Well I reckon this morning there must of been quite a few people on the sat and just downloaded a 1.45gig file which only took 4 minutes :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Can't wait for this starlink to go mainstream then simply watch a huge download in seconds :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:04 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well it has been close to a month since I installed the Starlink and I must say overall I am impressed with it, SWMBO has said don't get rid of the ADSL line as she did inquire and telsux said we would still have to pay $85 a month for the phone line and the email address's :angry-banghead:

Anyway now I aint using the ADSL and the girls are happy as they do say it is better without me there so the starlink is mine :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

The quickest speedtest result to come was 562 MB/s and 80MB/s upload, however the average is around 240 and sometimes down to 180MB/s

I gotta say when look to download a movie using qBittorrent some just never start where others like one today a 1.9gig movie finished in 3 minutes :scared-eek: it did give me a surprise when I saw 85MIB/s on the download screen and before I knew it the file had finished.

So for a bit of fun movie tonight a parody of the game of thrones :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: also got 3 others I did today so youtube may become a thing of the past :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have found sometimes when I'm playing poker the game will freeze so I just unplug the power cord for a couple of minutes and continue with the ADSL then when the sat tunes back in I'm back on it and things go back to normal.

I have read another 100 or so sats are going up in the new year so that should make for even greater speeds and lets face it if I can download a movie in under a minute :laughing-rolling: it aint a bad thing right :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby atec77 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:47 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
pistolknight79 wrote:i better get on board

Well mate for the $806 investment I reckon this will be one to savour for quite a few years.

Now for the speeds for me they are hovering 200Mbps which is what 4 times what fibre can give :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: for a bit of fun I found a 1.2 gig file to down load and 20 minutes later it was finished and man what a good movie it was as it will hit the box office after xmas :laughing-rolling:

Got bit torrent going on my linux box and man I am finding it hard to believe the speeds I'm seeing, now in linux I do get to talk with other users and they are laughing at our country as they say they have had gigabit internet for a decade or more and in most parts it's free.

When it comes to the net this country is 3rd world and who would of thought a sat could solve the issue, :scared-eek: well I took a gamble and it looks like it did pay off but do be aware they are still in beta testing but your address will be assigned a number as a first responder and they are saying first in best dressed.

A clear line of site is needed and the sat needs to point to due south so just make sure for your mounting point you have all the box's checked.

Cheers Bryan

I hope your vpn is good and secure :silent:
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:54 pm

Well I found a 7.29gib file with some very early Monty Python movies and just had to give it a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well 44 minutes with an average speed of 2.8MiB/s which is about 23Mbps and I saw a high of 9.4 MiB/s for quite a few peaks which is 78Mbps :scared-eek: so for the guys on the NBN try and match that :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

so in for a good laugh tonight while sipping on my AG whisky me thinks :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit