Processing Feints

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Processing Feints

Postby Multipleg » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:17 pm

In the past I've only run tails down to 20% abv for feints collection. I figured at some point it's not worth throwing electricity at it for diminishing returns. I now have decent solar power on the house and running the still on a sunny day is free. My feints usually come from pot stilled UJSSM and I have usually run them through my VM column to turn into neutral.

Am I gaining any drinkable neutral by running my UJSSM feints down further than 20%? Does drinkable goodness get extracted from the horrible tails at really low abv?

Cheers.
Multipleg
Site Donor

equipment: Beer keg boiler, pot still and a VM column.

Re: Processing Feints

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:34 pm

I just keep my feints until the next run so the boiled wash is that little bit higher ABV which does give a bigger yield :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:52 am

I’m with Bryan , recycle with each run
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby B-Man » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:17 pm

I build them up and do an all feints run
I have found if you do overly safe cuts on your normal runs your feints run is great but if you are picking the cuts just right then the feints run doesn't give you as good a product. one reason I don't add them into my next run is if trying to get some repeatability and expectation going for each run. if im chucking tails in then it starts messing with my expected outputs.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to The Dunder Pit