Willow Garbage Bins

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Willow Garbage Bins

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Willow 60l bins have been on sale at Bunnings for ever for only $12. Has anyone used these for fermenters? I use one as a worm tub and for storing dog food but I'm wondering if they're suitable for fermenting?
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Re: Willow Garbage Bins

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

What type of plastic are they?

If they're food grade I'd use em :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 pm

they wont seal but i needed some thing in a hurry for the fig wash so yeah I used them , wouldn't trust them with low wines but they got me out of trouble going to get some sealable 80 ltr ones though $20 in Melb. $40 in Ballarat :roll: typical . i will be using the drums to store grain ect in :handgestures-thumbupleft: PS they are full of shit too they don't hold 60 ltrs bit over 50 ltr filled to the very top
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 am

One thing to think about is that although you don't need an airtight seal and none of my wash fermentors have one, i at least, need a bug proof seal to keep the little vinegar flies that are invariably drawn to a wash out.

It's pretty amazing the ways they find to get in and i can't see a bin keeping them out.

If you don't have a fly problem yet, they may work for you until you do, but if they do get into your wash, the chances are that it will become infected.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks for that fellas. The misses is convinced that we don't have enough room in this house for stilling but says it's ok for me to brew beer. I told her that her hypothesis is bullshit, I can easily still in the garage with the doors 1/2 open for air flow without the neighbours being the wiser. Last year I ficked up and left the dampened closed on my 3 ring burner and it smoked up the back yard in our place in Melbourne and is convinced that even though I fixed the problem( opened the fuckers and now have a clean flame) that it's still going to stink out the house. I figure, fuck it, I'f she's gonna lay down the law then I'm gonna upgrade my bee kit to all grain and still use the burner.

:)
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby crow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm

@ Appleye If ya look on ebay there a joker in craigieburn selling 80 ltr sealed food grade drums for $20 cause I don't know which side of the big smoke your on but I reckon thats a better deal than the bins . On the beer :laughing-rolling: I'd try the old "fuck forgot to put hops in it , damit now I have to distill it ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm

croweater wrote:@ Appleye If ya look on ebay there a joker in craigieburn selling 80 ltr sealed food grade drums for $20 cause I don't know which side of the big smoke your on but I reckon thats a better deal than the bins . On the beer :laughing-rolling: I'd try the old "fuck forgot to put hops in it , damit now I have to distill it ;-)

I'm up in Brissie now and away from civilisation (prove me wrong fellas! :teasing-neener: ). I was living in Hoppers Crossing. I have a 100L keg with a 1/2 inch thick aluminium lid that's pretty useless until i find someone who can knock up a stainless lid for me. I'm thinking of using it as a fermenter in the mean time.

Ooooooh, brainwave! Could I use some thin stainless sheet cut to the shape of the aluminium lid and use it as a seal between the aluminium plate and the boiler? That way the vapour would be in contact with stainless only with the structural integrity of the 1/2" aluminium plate?

Here's a pic.
http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... =photo.jpg
Apple-O-Me-Eye

Return to The Dunder Pit