weather events in your town

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: weather events in your town

Postby googe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Shit mate not good, hope your family and friends are ok. Havnt seen the news today, will have a looksie.
googe

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 am

We have had mass evacuations from beaches from Marion Bay, Primrose Sands, Connely's Marsh and Port Arthur. Worst conditions on record here and the poor firies are well and truly up against it. I think the Tasman Peninsula as a whole will be burned until the fire hits the sea.

I have been involved in a few very nasty fires in my job, but not as bad as this. The last one in written memory (was before my time) was in '67, Black Wednesday when entire communities were burned down.

Thoughts are with all those currently affected by all this. Over 40C for most of the afternoon here :o
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 am

We had the worst conditions on record here in vic around black sat, sounds like its moved south this year.

After black saturday, my thoughts are with you guys down there.

I hope nature cuts you guys a break.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 am

I experienced the Canberra fires in 03 I think it was, over 500 homes gone in a few hours.... terrible horrific afternoon that I spent the next 2 years working on a digger to clean up.

Some of the stories and experiences people went through in that time was hard to deal with when I was loading their life into a tipper, watching people cry and asking me to dig carefully while they sifted through the remains of their homes looking for pets and family treasures.

My heart sinks whenever I hear of these tragedies, I hope nothing like this is happening to any of our membership.... please stay safe guys
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 am

Cool change has finally just hit here, hope there getting it too!.
googe

Postby crow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:28 am

googe wrote:Cool change has finally just hit here, hope there getting it too!.

yeah still fucking hot yeah mate kinda hoping it would get below 30 by 2:30 am can't sleep in this sticky shit. Serves my self right for not getting pissed ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bear74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 am

i got my fingers crossed for this monsoon low to dump a shitload of rain in a few days! i need my runoff fix!
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby crow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 am

bear74 wrote:i got my fingers crossed for this monsoon low to dump a shitload of rain in a few days! i need my runoff fix!

last time i was up there in the wet spect it would have been the 2nd or 3rd of jan this happened I got out the vehical to go to the army disposal joint in Darwin got about 10 paces for the car if that and down she came ran back to the car maybe 2 seconds it took me went to open the car door and thought why bother now I just can't get wetter than this :laughing-rolling: reckon it dropped an inch in a min.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stilltryin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 am

Its just more bad news after bad news from the fire effected areas.
I can`t contact my family or my friends. All thats on the news is that at Conneleys Marsh 40% of buildings are destroyed and the fire burnt to the water in places and at Primrose Sands where my sisiter lives there were houses burnt as well.

I can`t make contact with anyone...no power there...no phones working and the roads are still closed so I can`t drive down there to see.

It`s bloody frustrating!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I just wish the Government would force the greenies to go and fight the fires...it`s because of them that there are no hazard reduction burns here anymore :violence-stickwhack: :teasing-nutkick:
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Terrible news bud, hope everything turns out ok.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Hang in there mate, just keep trying the emergency services, there gunna be your best bet for some contact. Good luck!.
googe

Postby crow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 pm

bad stuff man, yeah conditions for a bad fire are all here to heat, long dry grass even in the thick scrub , hot wind jeez if we yet any lightning now were sunk . Glad they forced the guy behind me that bought the paddock off this property to slash it, I was really regretting letting it go when the wild millet and oats was over 6 ft high and dead dry :scared-eek:
crow

Postby crow » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 pm

looking from my back yard looks like they might have contained the bushfire ,smokes all turned white . God knows how many fire trucks are onto it but heaps , they are going backwards and forwards past my house sometimes 4 or 5 at a time plus planes and helicopters
crow

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

They are doing a good job this year so far crow. They would have thrown everything they could at it to stop it getting to the bush.
They nailed the cardigan/chepstowe one pretty well for its size and how hot it was. I know 2 of the families that lost their house in that one.
Cool days predicted, so might help.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm

yeah my next doors dad manages that station that got burnt out , they lost all the houses . no good :handgestures-thumbdown: then the fucking insurance bastards wouldn't let them put down burnt dying stock until they could spare the time to wonder out for a look , mob of sick pricks. Cockies should of lagged them in to the RSPCA b-(
crow

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Its the D.N.R.E. that need to inspect the stock losses, and from what I heard, they did it pretty quick. If they identifed the stock as needing to be put down, the insurance can't refuse.
Or so I was told by guys that lost stock.
I guess if you dealt directly with those insurance pricks, thats what they'd say.
emptyglass

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm

well weather here is good, better then the 48 it got on friday :scared-eek: talked to a lady down the central coast that said her friend has a weather station and it was 48.8.

least there is no fires hope every one in them places are alright and everyones families
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Well it looks like the wet season is finally upon us up here :handgestures-thumbupleft: tomorrow afternoons job,check all seals on both trucks and trailers,cable tie plastic bags over breathers on gearboxes and diffs,then wait till the seymore and cattle creek to flood :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: Then go out and cart all the stranded motorists through the floodwater,for a small fee of course :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby unsub » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Need some rain in Gippsland to help with the Aberfeldy/Donnely fires going at the moment. I've got friends up around there and surrounds and a mate in the CFA fighting it. Some if the photos of it he has been posting on facebook are crazy.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm

surreal sunrises and sunsets- this was taken at 6am this morning.
IMAG0671.jpg

I hope the fires are controlled soon.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit