Other Hobbies

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Other Hobbies

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Here's a couple of pics of some chooks n ducks, they're pretty good at keeping the bugs n spiders out of the garden and we get at least a dozen eggs each week.

Cant bring myself to eat those shop bought pale eggs anymore, fresh free range are so much nicer.... cant wait for the ducks to start laying :D

Here's Spider, and one of our ducks named Disco........ YES! they all have names :roll: :roll:

spider.jpg

Here's Bruce, he's gotta be the biggest rooster I ever seen and yeah he's loud... no sleep ins here :lol:

bruce.jpg

There's a heap of chooks and ducks here now, some of their names are Ginger, Spice, Batman, Spider, Bruce, Blondy, Snowy, Red, Ruby and others

The ducks names are Debbie, Dallas, Disco, Doris, Daffy, Daisy and Donny :roll:

No! I did not name them, and NO! I'm not allowed to eat them :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Other Hobbies

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I used to shoot ducks :), you've got a few black ducks, a few whistlers, they can be a bit tough though. My other hobby cooking :D A nice duck stew tenderises them a bit, if they have been feeding on grain they are a bit better. I have taken 7 ducks with one shot, same with geese, 7 with one shot up in the NT.
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 pm

I dont mind the black ducks but those whistlers are fucking c*^%s of things, they eat everything and fuck the chooks up when they're laying.... if I had my way they'd all be shot and fed to the fish, redclaw and yabbies down the back, but the mrs hand feeds the bastards and loves them :roll: :roll:

Not to mention the king parrots and lorikeets that land on you when your out on the deck having a beer, then there's the fucking frogs at night when it's raining.... if anyone thinks it's quiet out in the bush they arent listening ;)

The only thing I have permission to kill is the snakes, because they eat baby ducks, baby chickens, frogs, birds etc etc etc....... but I like snakes, they're cool and I wont kill em ;)

This one was getting the butcher birds when they came down to knock off the dog food :lol:

P9201037sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Did I hear REDCLAW???? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (insert drooling emoticon here)

Nothing quite like freshly smoked redclaw with a dash of garlic salt. Lucky bastard.
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby SBB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Growing these things is another one of my other interests / hobbies........I really have far to many of them.....hobbies / interests that is :roll:
These photos are quite old and the plants and the jugs they grow are much bigger now.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby busman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:40 pm

OK, I give up, what the hell are those things SBB? :lol:

Will take some pics of my best toy when I clean my garage out over the weekend
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:43 am

They're really cool SBB 8-)

Seen plenty of the smaller varieties around but those ones are pearlers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:09 am

My mushroom hobby takes up all of my spare time when i'm not brewing.

I grow Oyster Mushrooms and Shitakes of many shapes and colours. I also grow and sell innoculated spawn for those who are keen on the hobby but haven't got all the equipment i have like a flowhood, large pressure cookers etc.

I got into it in a pretty big way after getting sick of the $40-50 a kilo prices for gourmet shrooms at the shops.

currentgrow12.9.10.jpg

blueoysterpins4.jpg

kingoysters5.jpg

flowhood7.jpg
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:38 am

Love ya mushroom setup 5Star......If I didnt already have so many other things on the go Id be very tempted to have a go at growing some.
Busman they are carnivorous plants called Nepenthes....native to equatorial countries such as Borneo Malaysia Thailand ect.
McStill those photos are pretty old.....they are much bigger now, shall try n dig out some better and newer photos sometime and post them.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:43 pm

The below pic is my other hobby, well Holden Gemini's (I have 4 but this is the flagship) have been for many many years.
If you would like to know more about CDT just click the pic in my sig and have a look around the site.
I also collect Mick Doohan memorabilia and enjoy riding my 07 GSXR600
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:34 pm

before I went to WA I used to like to collect a feed from beneath ;)

yum yum.jpg
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Hahahaha you eat bream :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HahahahahahPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:55 pm

5Star wrote:Hahahaha you eat bream :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HahahahahahPunkin

Yup A lot dont tho, and fuck em! ;)

NoTurtleBackWormForThoseFuckersAndRealeasedtoFryAnotherDay :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:05 pm

The only thing I ate as a kid was bream, whiteing, flathead and mackeral. I love bream.........
reknaw

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Mmmmmm! That's a nice feed :D
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:52 pm

I think 5Star laughing at eating bream has nothing to do with how nice they are, there is certain people in fishing circles that would go off their tits for killing a bream ;)

The bream fisho's are a little passionate about eating bream, me personally well lightly fried in butter with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt is the way I like to see bream treated.

Each to their own :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Why not kill them and eat them, we would eat the buggers all the time :) If I caught one now I'ld eat the little buggers.......
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Spud1700 wrote:Why not kill them and eat them, we would eat the buggers all the time :) If I caught one now I'ld eat the little buggers.......

Tell them on here how much you like em :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ausbream.com/Forum/default.asp

Let us know when you post so we can see the aftermath :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:00 am

I don't even admit to catching em. Get some whoppers every now and then as a bycatch on the snapper plastics, i blame my mates and say they've caught em :lol: :lol:

DirtyFuckinBreamPunkin

PS, my parents fished for a living. All we ever ate as kids was mullet, everything else was worth more money. Can't even look at mullet for bait nowadays without a shudder.
R-sole

Postby reknaw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:12 am

I love mullet, oily but good in a bit of egg then in flour and fried, you want the sea ones though not the muddy buggers out of a creek........
reknaw

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit