cleaning a still

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

cleaning a still

Postby Johnboy1234 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 pm

As a newbie I am totally flabbergasted that the brewing shops do not tell you that you HAVE to do a sacrificial wash for your 1st run on a brand new still. Even when you mention it to them they just shrug their shoulders and say dunno, or they will say just do a run with hot water and that will be OK.

I only found out about the sacrificial wash thing through an american distillers forum, and they swear that ALL stills whether factory or homemade need an alcohol wash for the 1st run to as hot alcohol really scours out any unwanted crap or flux, far more so than scrubbing by hand or whatever.

Do you think the brewing shops should warn their customers about it, or are those guys in the american forum just being really fussy?
Johnboy1234

equipment: Euro 30-2 25L column reflux still

Re: cleaning run

Postby Heffers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Even if they are being overly fussy I agree with them. Better to err on the side of caution.

I'm just about to finish a pot still which will get about an hour of vinegar/water steam through it then a 50L molasses wash put through and turfed. This is after I was fanatical about cleaning each join after soldering/brazing.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Johnboy1234 wrote:are those guys in the american forum just being really fussy?

If it's the site I'm thinking about yes they are fussy, and I do agree with most of them, but unfortunately that site has a few members that think it's their right to treat newbies with contempt when it comes to "fussy"...... hence the reason I started this forum ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:15 am

Hey thats the reason I left their forum and joined this one. They treat newbies like they are fools. Yesterday I put up a post telling them that as well.
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

I seen your post over there and agree with everything you say, but unfortunately it will get you nowhere because this type of argument happens there on a very regular basis, you will just get kicked and flogged by the "the gang" until you either leave or get banned..... then once it's all over Blanik will come in and pick up the scraps like the old vulture he is.

I've sent Bushranger7 a pm about that thread but he has not responded or even read it, IMHO he must have done a fair bit of research to get to the point of asking the questions he did, the way he did, and they are very valid questions for a newbie too.

So instead of encouragement and steering him in the right direction their bully gang tactics seem to have sent him on his way, so in actual fact their safety policy has backfired and now BR7 could be doing it all wrong.

I dont care how many times the same question comes up, or how stupid some might think it is, but I can assure you nobody is going to get treated like that here.

All members are equal here, and everyone is on a level playing field weather a seasoned forward or a newbie on the bench, we've all been green at something in the past and everyone needs to remember that.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 am

Thats so good to hear, of all the forums I have ever joined, that US forum would have to be the rudest most unhelpful bunch of posters I have ever encountered. You almost feel like a dick for asking a question. Though they do have a lot of useful information on the site, it is just hard to find. There is one very good poster on there, I think his name is kiwi, he gives real good explanations for newbies, but a couple of them are down right snobby know it alls.

With comments like this
Yes... Nobody gets spoon fed here...

Do you want to be spoon fed the answers or do you want to know the WHY behind the answers...???

Should we spoon feed every new member who joins and has the exact same basic questions...???

Should we have to clutter up these forums telling people to do research as well as posting links to where they should go to find the answers...???

I thought forums were a place to find info, posters like the above certainly do not do their site any good, hence thats why I left and came over to this forum. I'm here to stay and hopefully as I learn more , I will be able to help others. Thats how a forum is spose to work isn't it.
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

Yeah kiwi is a good fella, he's a lot more active over here these days click here

I dont like the idea of spoon feeding either, however there's no need to hit the reply button if one feels they dont want to answer a question ;)

Edited to fix link
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 am

Wow amazing you point users to OTHER forums, thats pretty cool of you.

The US forum actually deleted a private message by someone who had sent me a link to your forum, luckily I read it before they deleted it, otherwise I wouldn't of know about this fabulous site.
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 am

There's no problem posting links to other forums here mate, It's all about sharing info and learning.... the more we do this the better off we will all be ;)

The "other" site you talk about we refer to as HD, cant believe they're monitoring the content of PM's that's a bit "ordinary" in my opinion..... probably best if things like that are discussed with the Admin over there tho, I already have copped enough crap from them and dont want to end up in another shit fight with them :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 am

Ok no problem I wont mention HD again, no point in stirring up agro, and I certainly don't want to cause any trouble. Anyway I LOVE this site, you guys are great and keep up the good work.
Johnboy1234

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 am

They read and deleted a PM someone sent you? :shock: So admin are going through PMs over there, that is very interesting I bet a lot of people don't know that. Sort of doesn't suprise me but it does at the same time if you know what I mean. :roll:
reknaw

Re: cleaning a still

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am

I've split this thread and moved all the off topic posts to here in the dunder pit.

Could we please not discuss the PM issue with HD here, let's move on and keep our forum free of that crap.

As I said before, if anyone has a problem with PM function on HD then that is where they should take it up, I suggest an email to Uncle Jesse is the right avenue to take if you want to do something about it, but lets just leave it there hey ;)

Thanks.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my plan for cleaning my new pot still (home made). It involved running about 1 hours worth of vinegar/water steam at 1:6 ratio through it followed by a 50L molasses wash, the spirit from which would be turfed.

It would be nice to hear from others about their cleaning runs so as that I/we can see what other ideas are out there.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:40 pm

If you were to run your 50l of mollasses wash and collect a litre of heads and discard, wouldn't you consider that as a chemical cleaning with hot ethanol?

I know i would. Bugger throwing away 7 or 8 litres of good rum strip. ;)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah I'm the same 5Star, I just do a good vinegar run for about 2 hours and then an alcohol run...... by the time the hearts get there it's as clean as it will ever be.

If anyone is using flux for soft soldering you can remove most of it by just keeping your work pieces clean, then a good rinse with hot water once your done.... the bernzomatic flux I use is water soluble ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Tip Top, I'd hate to waste good rum :D .

Is the 1:6 vinegar to water about right for a steam run? Or am I being a bit heavy handed on the vinegar?

Cheers, Heffers the overcautious still cleaner
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 pm

50/50 ratio is fine for about 2 hours after it boils ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Mac & 5Star,

These couple of replies might make a nice sticky in the Beginners Section amongst other things. I was prepared to go ahead and waste good rum when I could have just sacrificed a bit more dirty old vinegar instead :lol:

Thanks again gents, now I just have to finish my stills :roll:

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 am

I'm not a scientific authority. Most of my posts are prefaced with a 'this is what i'd do' sentence, not an advice that it's what anyone else should do...if you get my drift.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Johnboy1234 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Just out of curiousity............ What if you only did a 1 hr hot water wash, then did an alcohol wash, threw away the heads etc and only kept the hearts, and then put it through a carbon filter twice at 1 drop per sec. Would it be safe enough to drink then from a brand new factory bought still?

Im contemplating doing it, as my good stuff ranout last night and my next wash wont be ready for a couple more days at least. Or should I play it safe and just go down the road and buy some shitty old crow?
Johnboy1234

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit