In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby woodduck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 pm

You blokes are gonna give me the shed building bug....
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

As the weather is starting to turn decided to put another Apple cider on as the few batchs have been yummy. 2off Brigalow cider tins along with 2kg's of white sugar inverted get around 1050OG and it usually ferments down to the high 90's.

With the overnight temps getting down to low single figures I made up a light box that sits under the fermenter, 100 watt globe as the heating source and it is switched using a 250volt/5amp relay. I wrote a program for my micromite and used 2 DS18B20 temp sensors one duct taped to the upper side of the fermenter and the other at the base of the fermenter close to the 200mm hole I cut in the top of the box.

As the temp will rise from the base of the fermenter there is a temp difference and I set the temp difference to 7, when it reaches that the light is switched off by the micromite and won't start until the difference is less than 2. Every 10 minutes the micromite writes to a .csv file on the SDCard and it's easy to see the days figures in excel.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby EziTasting » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm

That’s very cool.

Have not heard of a ‘Micromite’ before... is that like an Arduino?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm

EziTasting wrote:That’s very cool.

Have not heard of a ‘Micromite’ before... is that like an Arduino?

Ezi the micromite was designed by a guy over in WA and is the alternative to the Arduino. It started it's days as the Maximite where the circuit, a vga monitor and ps2 keyboard is a stand alone computer there is a basic interpreter(based on the old TRS80) that can deal with the outside world and control what ever you want ( within reason :laughing-rolling: ).

The micromite uses those new tft dispalys the range from 1" square all the way upto 7" screens. with the bigger screens they can be setup as a standalone computer that uses a ps keyboard and SDcard for the hard drive.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:51 pm

G'day Guy's,

Well I decided to set this weekend to finish off this flash boiler I started making years ago. I made it originally to try and power that 5hp B&S engine I converted to stroke and had running off compressed air. The hose I used had a custom fitting and didn't seal so getting the engine to start was a no go.

So changed the burner over from the cheap bunnings green can burner to that cast iron burner I got for free and made a new jet for it. The feed for the water is gravity fed from the 5,000 gal tank.

Well with no luck with the engine I dragged over that old boiler which had about 10 litres of water in and stuck the hose in. The water was 18C when I started and after about 1/2 an hour the water was 63C.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby woodduck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

In the shed today I did something completely unrelated to still'n. I had a father son day where we started building a motorized scooter. He's been bugging me for months to do it so we made a start today.

I had a wipper snipper that was lying around the shed so going to use that to power it, hacked up an old chonda 50cc motorbike for the wheels and gears and an old bmx for the forks. The rest is just scrap I had lying around. I have no idea if this thing is gonna work but what the hell we gave it a shot and the boy has had fun in the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I see many a busted knee and elbow in your imediate future :D :teasing-neener:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Son's of Anarchy here we come. :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby woodduck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 pm

I recon I could squeeze a 100cc on there.... :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby jomo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:38 pm

woodduck wrote:I recon I could squeeze a 100cc on there.... :laughing-rolling:

Extend the frame and drop a gsxr engine in it :laughing-rolling:

Beautiful weather here today so I'm enjoying the last of my most recent batch of cider whilst stripping 2nd gen ujsm. Accidentally had the power controller set to min for the first hour and wondered why the vessel wasn't heating :think:

https://m.imgur.com/a/NOzEww2
jomo

equipment: None yet

Postby A&O » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Gave the girl a jumper and wings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby dans.brew » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:07 am

A&O wrote:Gave the girl a jumper and wings.

Nice mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A good solid piece of timber makes a top notch working bench. Ive got myself some thin foam as well, to make a jacket for my boiler too.
Running it outside on a cold night with a slight bit of breeze just takes too much heat out of the job.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Bottled up 70 throwdowns of apple cider to keep swmbo happy and had 3 litres left over to strip in mini me. Warmed the first with the gas doing a good flame and 10 minutes later got a major puke :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: So shut down the gas and gave it a few minutes then put the gas back on nice and low and now got that magic thumper sound going. The output was only 60% so stripped until 205 and now the second of 3 strips going. if i don't have enough for a spirit run i'll add some feints and put some 905 in the thumper.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Onto the second strip run and while collecting the foreshots got some foamy bubbles out :scared-eek: O'well only foreshots and it wasn't much and now the mini me is outputting around 65%.

This still certainly got a life of it's own and makes sure you got 100% attention :)) The smell of this apple cider thru the strip is going to make a nice drop when I do the sprit run this arvo.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby coffe addict » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what is 205 and 905?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Sticky shift key on my laptop mate and I should be wearing glass's :laughing-rolling: I keep putting the number instead of the % key

Onto the third strip now and with only 300ml @ 45% i reckon i'll add some 40% neutral for the spirit run
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Not sure putting 90% in your thumper is a great idea mate. Would be better with 40% max for safety's sake :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

woodduck wrote:Not sure putting 90% in your thumper is a great idea mate. Would be better with 40% max for safety's sake :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Onto jar 5 now taking 50ml cuts and it's coming off @84% and well into hearts. The D.P is just :happy-partydance: and after I've finished the run I'll upload the video I made.

Point taken WD this thumper is a big learning curve so next time i will go with 40%

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Glad she's working well for ya mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Who would of thought Murphy would come and visit as the wiper motor finally gave out. :angry-banghead: So got the old fuel pump motor of my old subi, cut the end barb off and now back to heating up.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit