In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Well talked with a sparkie yesterday at work about the job on the farm and he came around today to have a look. So no worries all supplies can can be found and we can do it in a fortnight. So then I took him up to my shed and gave him a taste of 11 month old CFW. He went WOW :scared-eek: this is nice and I can't pick this between a bourbon or a scotch but it does need more aging. Then I found out this wasn't a smoker so had some taste buds let and put him onto my wares.

With the CFW it was said it was the best

With the Ouzo it was like is this real as it's so yummy

Then I brought out the 11 month old cfw and I said you can take a bottle of this home. So measured out enough this second generation of my chilli experiment and it was what is this smell as it is new to a spirit. Hw had a good smell and small taste then sat back and said this is the best thing I've tasted. So duly went to the fridge and got a chilli beer I took from the ferment and he said my missus will love that so it will one of my first chilli beers be drunk?

For a new guy into learning about this trade I am going to teach him and a new SS still will be made as I do want to be sure he doesn't go down the turbo yeast route and a new still build may be on the cards.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Sweet as :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 pm

orcy wrote:I can strip 70 L in under 4 hours. So 12 hours stripping 200L and then 8 to 10 for a spirit run. Feels quicker and easier than 3 plate runs. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can do a 50ltr single run in 3 hrs so 4x 50ltr runs is 200ltr ferment in 12 hrs and its done no long painful spirit run.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 pm

woodduck wrote:
orcy wrote:I can strip 70 L in under 4 hours. So 12 hours stripping 200L and then 8 to 10 for a spirit run. Feels quicker and easier than 3 plate runs. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can do a 50ltr single run in 3 hrs so 4x 50ltr runs is 200ltr ferment in 12 hrs and its done no long painful spirit run.

Is that in your 6" still?!?!?! now that's just rubbing it in! :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:47 pm

50l wash to finished spirit takes 3-3.5hrs for me..bout third is heating up. Would be good to be able blast it with gas up to temp then switch to electricity... I don't think the power leads would like the heat from the gas though :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:30 pm

EziTasting wrote:
woodduck wrote:

Is that in your 6" still?!?!?! now that's just rubbing it in! :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:

No that's my 4". A 3600 and the 2400 element on for heat up for just under an hour and then 2.5 lph take off and I dont cuts jar my late tails just strip so that speeds it up.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Rock » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks guy's for the discussion, re running my plate coloum in a fast run.
I actually ended up just oaking down my guessed hearts from that run , had nice taste and flavour.
So , obviously, there are preference as to how to run the same still. And I'm cool with that, learnt alot in last couple of days.
Update on the big 120 lt molasses rum wash ,only used 10% backset, heated water in ss boiler and disolve the sugsr , heated the backset to disolve molasses, ph was 5 so great just added 2 tspn dap , wraped it up , at 2 days was still a rolling boil , 2 days later just a little activity, and als did a 35lt ferment on the lees ftom 1st gen.
On the big wash i have a hydrometer reading at 1015 , I'm pleased with that.
Going to leave things another day or two and then probably run it 4 plates and 2lph.got the power control to fine tune if I want.
Once again thanks for your opinions
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:59 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well with week of work over and a TPW ready to run got to thinking this weekend is time to fire up my bubbler for the new season. Now as my SS scrubbers had never been cleaned tonight I decided to clean up that 3 ring burner by putting a 2.5mm drill in each hole to unblock the holes that were found when I lit it the first time.

Gave it a tap and heap of shit came out so after a few soft taps with a leather mallet got hopefully everything then stuck my bunnings vac in each port while tapping. On fire up a nice blue flame after I adjusted the airports so time to trow the HP reg on only to find it about the same as the bunnings burner I bought. I did get this 3 ring burner along with a 2 ring burner which powers my flash boiler nicely. Not a bad deal for $25 along with a few rabbit traps and a 6000 psi positive displacement pump.

So put the scrubbers in my 5 litre stock pot and got them on the boil and the smell was like :scared-eek: theses need a good clean. So threw some distilled vinegar in and let it boil for about 20 minutes. Then outside and gave the scrubbers a hose to help get rid of the vinegar. Then with some fresh water put the scrubbers back on the boil for a while. Clear water thru out and just steam coming off the boil so the scrubbers arew nice and clean.

Now for the tpw in the past I had used my 3" blockhead and now I've made a new 4" blockhead sticking that ontop just aint on as my last distilled water run the output was low at around 1.5 litres an hour.

So got the 3" blockhead out and fitted to my 3-4" reducer I made, then the thought came where is the top blanking cap gone as it just a 3" flat copper plate. Looked at my mini pot still and saw it had been re-purposed :angry-banghead:

Not to be out done, cut down some 2" pipe and made a new blanking cap, just a copper ring and some 1/4" to make the flange. End result was got it down to 4mm so it will fit nicely with one of my pfte seals. Now is any pain as run out of pfte rolls so a pack of 10 is on the cards in the morning.

I'm going to film this run as my yankie friends on a private FB group want see what they call a flute do a run. Also I'll give my sparkie workmate a ring and see if I can't him how to make a drop.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Scored a fancy bottle opener thanks andrew
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Resized_20190124_174147.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:45 pm

They're neat aren't they. Dog tags for piss heads...
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Lol
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rock » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Well i had to travel to north west victoria for a month, thought it gets hot in the mallee at this time of the year, ha bloody ha , temps have crashed . I brought my keg boiler and platted colom with me , perfect for rum making even brought me molasses down been 3 weeks , and I've just got my second 60lt wash finished. I was hoping to complete 4 gens. Oh well. How good is it living in the north for fermenting rum washes. :dance:
Happy stilling folks. If any stillers in the mallee, hit me up , if i got time be happy to chat, I'm around hopetoun.
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 pm

So I never bet anyway half cut and decided stuff it put 20 on a horse in golden slipper. As was looking at list tv commentator mentioned kamichi said stuff it 20 on the nose he won and put 520 in my pocket :music-deathmetal:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am

Rock wrote:Well i had to travel to north west victoria for a month, thought it gets hot in the mallee at this time of the year, ha bloody ha , temps have crashed . I brought my keg boiler and platted colom with me , perfect for rum making even brought me molasses down been 3 weeks , and I've just got my second 60lt wash finished. I was hoping to complete 4 gens. Oh well. How good is it living in the north for fermenting rum washes. :dance:
Happy stilling folks. If any stillers in the mallee, hit me up , if i got time be happy to chat, I'm around hopetoun.

Is there any risk traveling with your setup they seem to be stopping people everywhere .
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:05 am

bluc wrote:So I never bet anyway half cut and decided stuff it put 20 on a horse in golden slipper. As was looking at list tv commentator mentioned kamichi said stuff it 20 on the nose he won and put 520 in my pocket :music-deathmetal:

Woohoo time to celebrate!!

We are currently facing a Cyclone, so we’re all hiding inside (not quite in the shed, but close)!
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am

EziTasting wrote:
bluc wrote:So I never bet anyway half cut and decided stuff it put 20 on a horse in golden slipper. As was looking at list tv commentator mentioned kamichi said stuff it 20 on the nose he won and put 520 in my pocket :music-deathmetal:

Woohoo time to celebrate!!

We are currently facing a Cyclone, so we’re all hiding inside (not quite in the shed, but close)!

Stay safe up there mate, they are talking it up to be nasty
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am

Thank you Sam,

It’s not too nasty, hope it stays that way! Thankfully we’re in an established area so the wind doesn’t have a direct line of attack... but cyclones can be undisciplined :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am

Watching sunrise. They made an announcement about coles. From today coles are going to start selling bulk packets of breakfast cereal among other things..be useful for people doing brekkie cereal washs.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Still won't stop the weird looks you get when you rock up at the checkout with a trolley full of sugar!
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Professor Green wrote:Still won't stop the weird looks you get when you rock up at the checkout with a trolley full of sugar!

:shifty: nothing dodgy here at all. Just making lots of jam. Lots and lots of jam. :whistle:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit