Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:14 pm

Thanks for the tips :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Stig this new tig you bought is it a lift or HF tig as that will have a big impact on learning.

Now go grab some say 1mm SS plate cut it so you have a neat join to weld up and tack at each end and say every inch along the join. Set the current to around 40 amps and ensure your hand holding the torch is resting on something so you have complete control over the arc. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now after welding a bit the plate is going move and I mean want to buckle up like no tomorrow so the trick is do a short run then leave for a bit then with a soft hammer tap it back down so it's flat. You won't need to use a filler rod as this is about learn to fuse weld and learn about the whirlpool where the smaller the area means the better weld and less undercut around the weld.

Give it a go mate and show us some pic's :handgestures-thumbupleft: and atleast I will promise not to go hard on you :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: can't much for other members :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

EH: for us nightshift workers that yard arm aint far away :obscene-drinkingchug:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Multipleg » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Have a spirit run going of 2nd gen UJSSM (corn and rye).2” copper pot still on a beerkeg. First time with a controller. I dialled it back to 1 litre per 25 mins approx until was well past the heads, then opened up to just over a litre per 10 mins. I’m hoping to compress the heads and I don’t mind tails smearing in. Beautiful sunny day. Nice and relaxing.
Multipleg
Site Donor

equipment: Beer keg boiler, pot still and a VM column.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:49 pm

Just noticed my max bid of 1.5K was beaten on that still on Evan's&Clarke so for Adelaide guy's if you want this go for it as I'm only going for that whiskey helmet as with that coupled with my inline thumper will be a great combo. I have put a max bid of $450 on it as it is damaged and not paying anymore as a new one from the 5 star store I reckon will be so much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Puk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:20 am

Did my Spirit run on Monday on my 5 generations of Macrum.
Did my blending yesterday.
I was fairly tight with it, but ended up with about 6 and a half litres of 65% which is now on french oak. The one and a half litre jar has the airstone on in it, to see what difference it makes in the early stages compared to the 5l demijohn.

I cannot believe the difference already between this done in a 50l boiler with a 2" pot still, compared to the batch i made with the old airstill.
It was manky and taily (which is only just starting to go away now at close to three months) whereas this new stuff is beautiful already in comparison. No smearing, no tails.
And the one in the airstill was only a single generation. This batch with 5 generations, even the low wines just smelled SO good in comparison.

My favourite thing that i had made before this was a single generation NutriGrain whisky in the airstill.
I am looking forward to see what i can do with 5 generations of that recipe through the pot.
Happy days. :happy-partydance:

Now i just need to wait 9 months or so for this rum.......
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:06 am

Nice work PUK
Nothing wrong with the airstill mate it is just that at 50 litres you are doing 12 times the volume therefore the cuts are so much more defined.
I love my 5 star gear and now you understand why we always rave about it. Enjoy the rewards :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am

Put together a basic stripper, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 3600w Elements, Copper Onion Head, 4" x 3" reducer, 2 x 3" bends into a 3" x 450mm Condenser.
Should strip a 50L in a short amount of time :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:31 pm

The Stig wrote:Put together a basic stripper, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 3600w Elements, Copper Onion Head, 4" x 3" reducer, 2 x 3" bends into a 3" x 450mm Condenser.

Thing of beauty. What you stripping?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby harold01 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:51 pm

Sexy looking rig
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:35 pm

BigRig wrote:
The Stig wrote:Put together a basic stripper, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 3600w Elements, Copper Onion Head, 4" x 3" reducer, 2 x 3" bends into a 3" x 450mm Condenser.

Thing of beauty. What you stripping?

Got some TFFV to make neutral to finally turn into gin
But will eventually be using this for rums with a thumper
Last edited by The Stig on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Stripper in action, get your mind out the gutter :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Running around 7L/H
https://youtube.com/shorts/zrHkcDIT9nw? ... -lmJjRLkhG
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:56 pm

Moving away from the bubbler for rum?

Assuming you are chasing more funk and flavour. Are you still using bubbler for whiskies?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:58 pm

I will be trialing a pot/thumper setup for the rums specific flavours I’m chasing .
Whiskeys I’ll keep to the usual 4 plate setup.
But, I haven’t run for over a year due to “health” and “ohmygodhowmuchdoidrink” syndrome.
I’ll be taking a much slower approach to hardware and recipe development
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Coastie » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:51 pm

The Stig wrote:Stripper in action, get your mind out the gutter :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Running around 7L/H
https://youtube.com/shorts/zrHkcDIT9nw? ... -lmJjRLkhG

7 L per hour! nice!

How much is warm up (to boiling) time?
Coastie

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Column & 2" Copper Pot Still

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:55 pm

About 45 mins for 5oL at around 29 deg C ambient temp
Edit to add: I only ran 1 x 3600w and 1 x 2400w for a total of 6000w
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby kaboomxyu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:39 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Well still 15 days to go on this so just for a laugh I put my max bid at a grand :laughing-rolling: prepared to go to 2.5K and it will still be a bargain :laughing-rolling:

Looks like someone had much deeper pockets on the day. $4300.

The Whiskey helmet also went for $575. With the buyers premium, thats getting close to a new one from FSD.
kaboomxyu

equipment: 50L milk can boiler. 5 x 4" bubble plates. 4" x 500mm packed section. Carter head. 2x3600w elements, Still Spirits Airstill

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:18 pm

Well slept all thru today and when I finally got to work after they closed the bloody expressway had an email saying I did win that helmet so total cost $664 and yes I was sort of hoping someone may have jumped my last bid :laughing-rolling: O'well a 100 bucks less than new and don't forget shipping either :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now just gotta clean out my fermenters and get some malt made before I can even use this :laughing-rolling: anyway should be a smick looking setup with my inline thumper and got a couple of 4" bends so it looks the part. Now I'm thinking to complete this setup a 4" PC may need to be made :think: or just use my ol' trusty 3" that has stood the ages :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 am

G'Day Guy's,
Well with making that mixer last week I did find last weekend my old mixer and thought bugger it time to make my own mixer :laughing-rolling:

20240327_035019[1].jpg

Made up the 10mm rings last night and tonight cut the rest and tigged it all together :handgestures-thumbupleft: and rolling it on the bench well it is reasonably balanced :scared-eek:

A closer look'

20240327_034958[1].jpg

Gave it a pickle and good wash down so it's all ready to play with this weekend :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby B-Man » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:35 pm

im on my second mixer!
Both are so poorly designed and flimsy!
Id use the one I bought to mx plaster that's decent quality but its caked on with plaster... not sure I want that in the mash....
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby B-Man » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 pm

kaboomxyu wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:Well still 15 days to go on this so just for a laugh I put my max bid at a grand :laughing-rolling: prepared to go to 2.5K and it will still be a bargain :laughing-rolling:

Looks like someone had much deeper pockets on the day. $4300.

It was on facebook too. The bloke was telling me its worth 10k.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit