In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Well went to the big green shed this morning to get some tile adhesive and saw some multipurpose mastic with $15 price tag for 20kg's. When I took it up to the counter I was charged $35 so I said this was advertised for $15. Went up with a store worker and showed her the price tag where she said you can have it for that price as it is our mistake.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Beerswimmer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 am

Mixed up 2 batches of an agricole of sorts, we'll see. 20.5 kilos of evaporated cane juice, 113 liters of water, boiled yeast and some epsom, Hornindal yeast.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:41 pm

whats evaporated cane juice is that a crystl sugar? And what is that yeast havn't heard of it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Beerswimmer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:10 pm

bluc wrote:whats evaporated cane juice is that a crystl sugar? And what is that yeast havn't heard of it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's basically unrefined sugar. I don't live near where sugar is grown, so this is as close as I can get. Hornindal yeast is from Norway, called kveik, it loves high gravity and heat. Like HOT! It's known for fast(48hrs) and clean ferments despite high gravity and heat. Throws tons of tropical fruit esters. Voss kveik throws out orange and marmalade esters.
Beerswimmer

Postby dans.brew » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:Hornindal yeast is from Norway, called kveik, it loves high gravity and heat. Like HOT! It's known for fast(48hrs) and clean ferments despite high gravity and heat. Throws tons of tropical fruit esters. Voss kveik throws out orange and marmalade esters.

Got a bit of this kveik coming off fleabay..not hornindal though. The stuff im getting is suppose to throw orange, tropical fruits & stonefruit with spicy, earthy and herbal undertones. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Can't wait to give it a shot. Where do you get your yeast from?
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:13 am

In the USA it's everywhere. Any homebrew shop should have at least Voss and Hornindal.
Beerswimmer

Postby Bodgy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 am

It's funny the forgotten projects that you find in the shed while you are watching a run.

I'm working on my motion platform (racing simulator) that I haven't touched in two years while I run these two stripped tomato paste washes!
Bodgy

equipment: 5 Star 2" Boka

Postby tubbsy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 am

dans.brew wrote:
Beerswimmer wrote:Hornindal yeast is from Norway, called kveik, it loves high gravity and heat. Like HOT! It's known for fast(48hrs) and clean ferments despite high gravity and heat. Throws tons of tropical fruit esters. Voss kveik throws out orange and marmalade esters.

Got a bit of this kveik coming off fleabay..not hornindal though. The stuff im getting is suppose to throw orange, tropical fruits & stonefruit with spicy, earthy and herbal undertones. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Craft brewer have hornindal at $15 per 100ml. You'd only use maybe 5-10ml per 20L though.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:47 pm

tubbsy wrote:
dans.brew wrote:

Craft brewer have hornindal at $15 per 100ml. You'd only use maybe 5-10ml per 20L though.

Cheers.. might try some next time around. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Finally
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 pm

That looks bloody brilliant Stig.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hgwells » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Do you reckon you could ship that boiler down to me. That exact one don’t order another one in :))
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Eh Stig now I've seen a pic at that boiler I may just have to use that 250 litre beasley hot water tank which is copper and copy the design :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Like working with copper is a disease :teasing-tease: and once you start you can't stop no matter how you try :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now in the shed today I found my inverter won't power that new mig I bought so got onto setting up the listeriod so it can power the mig. Looked outside and saw that bobcat that has sat here for 12 years and my old 15Kw 32 amp three phase genset with a defunct onan motor and thought about doing a conversion. Make a trailer for it then have a 32 amp 3 phase 43 amp single phase for use around the farm.

Picked the wrong trade today with crypto so last night night made up a bottle of my licorice root vodka I made 5 years ago and like back when I made it is such a nice drop I'm sharing it with a dozen Boags on ice. Now still chasing my tail on this crypto and a 50 point swing is $50 so when I close tonight just how much will I make, the ideal was put on a trade and buy a metal detector so I can find the gold on my farm. But with everything it is :teasing-tease: and thats life :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm

What did I do in my shed today, I started building bloody cupboards.
I am new to this hobby and all the research I have done so far is telling me I am going to need as much storage area as someone who collects cars. The only difference is for this hobby the storage area needs to be temperature controlled, fireproof, and water proof. Shelves for jars, feints, cleaners, bottles, you name it it needs to be stored lol.
If my missus finds out I will be hoarding even more stuff she will explode, let’s just refer to her as the blocked still.
Thanks again guys the info you have on this site is amazing
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:02 am

Wellsy wrote:What did I do in my shed today, I started building bloody cupboards.
I am new to this hobby and all the research I have done so far is telling me I am going to need as much storage area as someone who collects cars. The only difference is for this hobby the storage area needs to be temperature controlled, fireproof, and water proof. Shelves for jars, feints, cleaners, bottles, you name it it needs to be stored lol.
If my missus finds out I will be hoarding even more stuff she will explode, let’s just refer to her as the blocked still.
Thanks again guys the info you have on this site is amazing

Stationary cabinets are good for storage and can get cheap some times and may just need a repaint.
wynnum1

Postby Wellsy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks for the tip wynnum
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Had to convert one of the above cupboards into a fermenting cupboard, the 60 litre barrel won’t fit into the old fridge I had that was going to do the job for me. Old insulation bats and scrap mdf to hold it in place and the job is done. No where do I put all the crap that got thrown into the cupboard
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:42 pm

After converting a cupboard I got to put my first wash on. Went with the nutrigrain wash and it is already bubbling away nicely, will need to add a bit more water tomorrow as I wanted to leave plenty of room for any enthusiasm it may display
Wellsy

Postby Beerswimmer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 am

Made cuts on an evaporated cane juice rum. It's very light in flavor and aroma, but nice. More of a rhum agricole than a rum.
Beerswimmer

Postby Maxxx » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Got ready for Father’s Day mega rum run - spirit run
And sinker making day tomorrow :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit