In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: looks the goods out of my price bracket but :crying-blue:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks good sugar :handgestures-thumbupleft: I should look into one of them but I'm waiting for harvest to kick off so I can grab some stock of other grains then I'll have enough to run through my mates roller mill. Heavy duty one he uses for his feed lot so should pump through my few bags pretty quick :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I did 14ltrs of grain in about 3/4 of an hour so not bad, I wouldn't recomend the method to others but it does work if you get stuck :laughing-rolling: my arms are slightly sore now, ppfffff who needs a gym (my wife says I do but hey what am i gonna do about it :laughing-rolling: )
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sugardaddy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 pm

woodduck wrote:Looks good sugar :handgestures-thumbupleft: I should look into one of them but I'm waiting for harvest to kick off so I can grab some stock of other grains then I'll have enough to run through my mates roller mill. Heavy duty one he uses for his feed lot so should pump through my few bags pretty quick :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I did 14ltrs of grain in about 3/4 of an hour so not bad, I wouldn't recomend the method to others but it does work if you get stuck :laughing-rolling: my arms are slightly sore now, ppfffff who needs a gym (my wife says I do but hey what am i gonna do about it :laughing-rolling: )

I have visions out you doing that with that song playing “I work out” :laughing-rolling:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm

I might have had my "animal print pants on and out of control" :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ahhh no one would wanna see that!
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 am

Well fired up the still for doing the TPW with the 500mm packed section on and bled off the foreshots then put it into reflux and no action on the bubble plates :scared-eek: Ran out of gas :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: So looks like a trip into bunnings is in order and I'll do the run this arvo. Atleast the heat up time should be less as it did take 1 hour 50 to start.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Well busy day in the shed today with that quest to make a reducer for that oversized tri clamp I got on feebay, posted a pic in my build thread too. Well after doing some house duties to keep SWMBO happy ^:)^ back to the shed for more fun. Decided to fire up autocad '06 and map the drilling on paper rather than trust that lazycam conversion. I'll do the G-code in notepad++ and as I have the same 32 bit notpad++ it will be easy to transfer the file. Decided to finally do the arc welding test off the inverter to see if it shorts out and burnt a full stick TC16. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Now I know the welder works time for me to get that Listeroid up and running as welding does need some power and I do want the battery fully charged before welding. Now where it is going is right where I have the inverter setup so tomorrows jobbie is ripping out that bench and re-routing some wiring.

Anyway been sipping that apple cider I brewed all day and it aint high in :obscene-drinkingdrunk: but it is a refreshing drink so time to go fill up the cooler and decant some of that TPW I made last week so I can have a crude apple schnapps :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered: or 6 :)) :)) :))
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Plumby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Did 3 ujsm strip runs and knocked up a gen 8, 200 litre ujsm wash. Boiler is now charged with 45 litres of 40% low wines for a spirit run next Saturday.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Well coming close to the end of the job so took the Hilux down the hill to work and brought home 2 off 2.5 metre lengths of railway line. :happy-partydance: The best part was just talking with a contractor about them I found this arvo when finishing work they were already loaded. :))

Now for the part of unloading I will backup the Hilux in the shed and use my 2 tonne engine crane to get em off and into the shed so I can cut them up for making anvils. :music-deathmetal:

Also scored a metre and a bit of 3/8" copper pipe too as I am thinking of using it on my reducer if my current setup turns out dodgy. :wtf:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 am

Railway line if you put a coin on the tracks the train flattens very well has anyone looked at using a length of rail iine to crush grain .
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:23 am

I am betting the railway line will make a rippa anvil bryan :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 am

Railway line does make good anvil's, father in law has one. Heavy but nice to work on.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Well Guy's got busy this morning and spent 5 hours on the first anvil, got the top machined and put a 5 degree taper on the horn top. While milling the sides using a 5/8" slot drill one decided to brake :angry-banghead: and this rail line sure is a :teasing-tease: to machine.

work in progress.jpg

Anyway went down to the local cricket club for a few coldies and ran into an old mate where I showed him the same pic. He did it looked the goods so how much mate. I said it takes about 10 hours of hard work to make including machining time and most cuts were down with a 16 tooth hacksaw and some Treflex to stop the teeth wearing and show some progress in cutting this :angry-banghead: material.

For a standard anvil like the pic shown but finished I base my work @$30 an hour and as far as power cost go a few eggs and lemons pay for the vege oil to run my 16hp diesel with a 5Kw genhead. Also I'm adding $50 for tooling as I will go thru a tip and with 3 tips on the cutter it won't be long before I have to buy more.

Basically every guy needs an anvil if he has a shed so I'm just having fun making a few of them so the sheds can be equipped. :)) I reckon out these 2 lengths I can get about 17-18 anvils and next week at work I'll ask about the other 4 lengths that are there. Now my boss said the first lentgh's are a slab mate but I'm going to tell him if wants an anvil and his bottle refilled then shutup and give me those 4 lengths. :)) :))

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Hah, nice work!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Tafe college Brisbane some of those enrolled where only there because they could play with the toys i think one of there projects was casting an anvil.
wynnum1

Postby orcy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

How are you planning on hardening the work surfaces?
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

orcy wrote:How are you planning on hardening the work surfaces?

I'm sure it is already work hardened mate as those rails were a wall at the church where I'm working and looking at the wear I'd say they had a hard life and maybe close to 100 years old. They this stuff machines is plenty of coolant or ask for a burnt out tool. There is a reason why old rail line is good for making anvils as the rail in it's working copped a hammering and the materials in the metal ensure it is a tough cookie.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby chrus86 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:09 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:Bought a Weber at a sale the other day for $10. Had an old BBQ base that I found on the side of the road.

Voila!

And today I sold my old Weber for $80 :happy-partydance:

Nice score! Wobblyboot mentioned using old Webber bits to make an UDS (Ugly Drum Smoke)!

Sounded like an awesome idea, but I have too many projects on the go already... :shifty: so no UDS for me!

I collect old webers! I will pay good money for any old ones!! Weber parts do make for a great UDS

... for now!! :music-deathmetal:
chrus86

equipment: Obtaining final parts for 4" pot still on keg boiler.

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Very nice indeed bryan
bluc
Site Donor

Postby nuddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

24 hours in on a temp controlled all molasses RM yeast ferment, has dropped 46 points on the hydrometer already. Absolutely steaming along and the smells coming off it are intoxicatingly fruity. Really looking forward to how this generations out.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm

nuddy wrote:24 hours in on a temp controlled all molasses RM yeast ferment, has dropped 46 points on the hydrometer already. Absolutely steaming along and the smells coming off it are intoxicatingly fruity. Really looking forward to how this generations out.
how much mollasses in how much water you using.. molasses rum never ceases to amaze me with flavour swings..
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit