In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Been working on still related building in thw shed for once. Now before I go cutting this 2“ copper any shorter, is there any advantage to a taller 2“ pot still on a keg? Going to have a 500mm shotgun condenser and was going to make the column 500mm also. Unless of course bigger is better? :think:
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:Been working on still related building in thw shed for once. Now before I go cutting this 2“ copper any shorter, is there any advantage to a taller 2“ pot still on a keg? Going to have a 500mm shotgun condenser and was going to make the column 500mm also. Unless of course bigger is better? :think:

Anti puking is about the only positive to a tall pot, unless ding a hybrid..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm

I recon 500mm would be ok, can't see any reason to go taller :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby nuddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 pm

bluc wrote:
nuddy wrote:24 hours in on a temp controlled all molasses RM yeast ferment, has dropped 46 points on the hydrometer already. Absolutely steaming along and the smells coming off it are intoxicatingly fruity. Really looking forward to how this generations out.
how much mollasses in how much water you using.. molasses rum never ceases to amaze me with flavour swings..

10L feedstock blackstrap molasses in 55L ferment vol. Real keen to find out the % of easily fermentable sugars with this molasses once she goes dry.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Cheers Bluc & Woodduck :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ended up cutting it to 500mm, so after my adventure in the shed here is what happened:

Copper was cut using a jig from some scrap ply floating around
20171116_210242.jpg

And wound up with:
20171116_214842.jpg

3x 500mm lengths, 1 for the pot still and the other 2 for condensers, one to go on the pot still and one to go on a bubbler.
a few small lengths to let me attach easy flanges to for elbows and the 2" x 3/4" reducer
a bunch of rings for easy flanges
a finished power controller, though the case isn't as sturdy as I would like, so when the eventual upgrade happens of hard wiring it and connecting the second outlet it will likely get a new case

I feel like it's been a productive couple of days... Now off to a thread about easy flanges to ask more questions....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psykamaholik

Postby woodduck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 am

Why make 2 pc's? The same one could be used on both stills. Unless your gonna run both at the same time I guess?

All looks good though mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Psykamaholik » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 am

I know me and I`m going to want to take things apart as fewer times as possible. But also may run both at the same time eventually
Psykamaholik

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Had a good day in the shed today with a morning run to get some CFW goodies and got 120 litres on bubbling away in two fermenters. Also had time for more fun and got the first anvil finished. This one is already sold and I'll do the next lot in a batch as it will save a heap of setup time in the mill.

first anvil.jpg

Cheers Bryan

Of course my 2.2kg toasted domino makes for a good back drop too :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:34 pm

The anvil(and domino :D ) look awesome :mrgreen:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Psykamaholik » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Haven't got a flash anvil like Bryan's, but I put my bunnings one to use to make a start on these easy flanges. I followed the destructions in Woodduck's video but had to hold the copper on about a 45* angle to the corner of the anvil so it wouldnt keep running away. By about the 3rd one I felt I had the hang of it.

20171203_214815.jpg

Still got more work to do but off to a good start I reckon. The first one I did isn't overly flat, but I think a gasket will take up the gap.
Psykamaholik

Postby Plumby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:Haven't got a flash anvil like Bryan's, but I put my bunnings one to use to make a start on these easy flanges. I followed the destructions in Woodduck's video but had to hold the copper on about a 45* angle to the corner of the anvil so it wouldnt keep running away. By about the 3rd one I felt I had the hang of it.

20171203_214815.jpg

Still got more work to do but off to a good start I reckon. The first one I did isn't overly flat, but I think a gasket will take up the gap.

Looks good man, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby woodduck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Looking good psyk :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

I’m impressed (not that that holds any value) looking good!

Soldered a couple of Christmas lights and they work, too! :handgestures-thumbupleft: so I’m getting to the point where I might just have enough confidence to have a crack at this building caper... :think:

You never know... :teasing-tease:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Well with the warm weather here that 3hp aircon sitting idle in the side of my shed for over 10 years time for a test to see if my new setup of my 16hp listeriod diesel with a ST5 genhead would turn this thing on :think:

Only one thing to do, get the 15 amp extension cord out and hook it up to the ST5, then fired up the engine and went and turned on the aircon. The fan came on and when I put it on cool the engine gave that sound ( is this all you got :laughing-rolling: ) and cool air was flowing. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Next test has to be that 3Kw element in that 250 lire copper hot water tank :)) :)) :))
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am

G'day Guy's,

Decided to finish off and test those 6 element in series I got out of a commercial toaster and it does look a goer. :music-deathmetal:

RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Are those elements going to be submerged or are they going to heat the outside of the product pipe? Or is it just let’s see what happens and you’ll work the rest out later?
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 pm

No fish biting, kids shattered, great rim to knock out some easy flanges
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm

a 3/4" copper pipe goes thru the centre and I holesawed some high voltage board that is flame resistant (ie: put a blowtorch on and nothing happens). I have some 2-12/" copper tube to use a the outer shield which I'll insulate. Gotta get some fittings from a plumbing store to plumb it allup.

Now totally thinking out of the square here :think: with the unit mounted vertically aslong as the fluid level in the keg is higher than the unit due to the heating in theory it should thermosiphon and if it does then no need for a pump.

But being the mad inventor that I am just have to try it out and see if I'm right or just bonkers :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Nino » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Getting the still ready for tomorrows run.

Lemon flavoured vodka that took about 12 weeks to ferment out. I will run it through 4 plates slow and see what happens :).
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

It's different and I can tell ya it will test your cuts knowledge. There is alot of lemon in the tails and knowing just when to cut is tricky :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also I found the pulp will settle in time, i ran the second lot of my 100ltr wash yesterday and all the crap had dropped. So it most likely wasn't finished when i ran the first lot.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit