In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Nino » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

woodduck wrote:It's different and I can tell ya it will test your cuts knowledge. There is alot of lemon in the tails and knowing just when to cut is tricky :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also I found the pulp will settle in time, i ran the second lot of my 100ltr wash yesterday and all the crap had dropped. So it most likely wasn't finished when i ran the first lot.

It looks very clear but it still has some pulp on the surface which I will skim off in the morning.
Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see how it goes :).

Regards,
Nino
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm

woodduck wrote:It's different and I can tell ya it will test your cuts knowledge. There is alot of lemon in the tails and knowing just when to cut is tricky :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds like you ran it with more care than I did. I wish I'd been more patient. It's drinkable but not one of my best.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 pm

I wouldnt say i got it great. It does have a lemon taste but not like you would think. Bit of lime and soda and its drinkable. I will probably need to work on it a bit next time too.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 pm

My lemon wash turned to vinegar so you’re in front of me lol
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Well decided to do some work on the farm this weekend so after a morning taste of my chlli brandy went for walk over to the front dam and thought what a good time to dredge the dam and get all the crap out as it hadn't been done before we bought the place back in '03. So to my surprise after not using the tractor for a month when I hit the button to start it went thru the strokes and started after several bursts on the button. I did measure the current draw on starting and 450 amps on the first busts dropped to 250 amps on the compression stroke. Well the alum conversion has worked so onto putting the grader blade on to dredge the dam and get it back to full capacity.

As their was some water left I cut around it as the horses came over for a drink a couple of times and after the water dropped they came back for another drink. I found with the damp stuff it was like glue to the tyres and looking at the rear tyres it did look like they were running on water with no air present. So after finishing and founding out the tyres had no pressure so put the air compressor on and got the rear tyres back to 50 psi.

As work on the dam had finished time to go work on that ant hill that has appeared on the shed road, set the grader blade to cut on the left and after a couple of dozen passes the ants were going WTF :scared-eek: . Set the grader back to square and finished road off and in the morning see how the ants are going and whether a dose fore shots is needed to soak in then a flame applied to kill the queen ant. Now the nest is 10" lower it may a good idea to get rid of the stockplie of foreshots.

Got the chat window open and the 6 pack of pales is going to morph into some of my apple cider and few more Chilli shots.

Not a bad Saturday in my book :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: so what did you guys do today eh :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:57 pm

50 psi is pretty bloody high for a tractor tyre mate :scared-eek:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Nino » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I am making a Stainless copper pot still as I don't have the expertise to make a full copper still. What I am doing is using my 500mm 4" packed section and cutting up 1" and 3/4" copper pipe into 450mm lengths and filling the packed section with them.

This is increasing the amount of copper that the distillate is exposed to hopefully it will make better and smoother whiskeys.

I have used the packed section as a pot still on my last spirit run of single malt and achieved a starting ABV of 83%, it did pretty well but I think I did not go into the tails enough as I ended up with over 2lts of feints and used all the cut jars in my final blend (except for the heads).

I was cutting copper tube, but did not get enough, so back to the plumbing supplier tomorrow.

With regards,
Nino
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby tipsy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Sam. wrote:50 psi is pretty bloody high for a tractor tyre mate :scared-eek:

:text-+1: Ya getting into truck tyre territory.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Breaking in a virgin to distilling ,in the shed today,wish I had someone ta hold my hand when I started,anyhoo lesson 101 on fermenting a 200lt batch done ,will be interesting ta see how he goes with the actual distilling in a week or so.Will try getting him on the forum next ,but I find some young-uns a real pain in the ass ta teach,or maybe I am turning into a crusty old bastard,nah couldn't be that. :laughing-rolling: cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Professor Green » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Nice one Hillzabilly. Wish I had someone to do a one-on-one mentoring session or two when I started. I might have save myself a truck load of money and time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby dans.brew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Professor Green wrote:Wish I had someone to do a one-on-one mentoring session or two when I started. I might have save myself a truck load of money and time.

Mastering something the hard way is what gives you the sense of achievement when you get it right! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:text-+1: On saving a shit load of money though. You can never get too much help on how to save a quid or two.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 pm

I ran a few bags through my roller mill, that took about 5mins :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
IMG_20180306_153041.jpg

I mixed up a 200ltr bwko and tryed out this stuff
IMG_20180306_135749.jpg

I was ment to get the safspirit one but got confused once I was in the shop and grabbed this one instead :laughing-rolling: sounds like it's not a turbo so I'll give it a go and see what happens. I put it into a starter to try help build their numbers before going into the big 200ltr. I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed with it's action. Whether it's too old or I killed it some how but it is very slow, nothing like a ec1118 that foams out the top of a jar in 10 mins. Is it normal for these whiskey yeasts to be a bit slower? It's bubbling but not foaming or growing. It's been in 500ml of wash for a couple hours now and hasn't done much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by woodduck on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed photo. Removed identification.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Was there a date of manufacture or use by date on the label?

My money would be on it being on the old side.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm not sure if it’s a 3 or an 8? If it's a 3 it's well past it's best :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: its got a few bubbles on top now bit not much action so I might just throw some lowans into it and see if they'll cross bread into something nice :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: 8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Plenty bubbles and bit foam on top is all I get with safspirit doesnt seem to grow out top and all over bench like some do.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

I use that range of SS yeast and for rum whiskey and vodka,all three have given very good results,I read on the packets they add anti foaming agent to it so maybe thats why it lacks the foam head you are used to,for a 200lt ferment I use six packs and sometimes it takes a day ta get going but is always done with in seven days,ifn ya going for a starter I would think it would have ta be at least 20lt for such a big volume,but the extra enzymes from more packs may give a better conversion rate.I found it much easier and reliable ta use six packs at $7 a pack is certainly not as cheap as lowans but gave a better flavour profile that I prefer over lowans,and I am pretty sure they did not make the yeast in 2013 or befor as well,a mix of the two may give you a more complex flavour or one may overpower the other your choice.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. I ended up getting into a 5 ltr starter with a bit of bubbling before tossing it in. I probably should have been more patient and tryed to get it bigger but we'll wait and see what happens.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Found out my local feed store sells rice hulls. $18 for 80l bag.bit cheaper than $4 kg. Now have enough for next 10years. I reakon it will turn to compost before I use it all :)) just in time for my burbon adventures. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

woodduck wrote:Thanks for the replys guys. I ended up getting into a 5 ltr starter with a bit of bubbling before tossing it in. I probably should have been more patient and tryed to get it bigger but we'll wait and see what happens.

Just an update, she is powering away today. It's got more vigar now it's in the 200ltr than it did in the 5ltr. So it should be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit