In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Do you smoke it Torry or just dehydrate?

Mine gets about an hour of hickory/melaluca smoke.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby torry73 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I smoke it with redgum, thats what I use in the heater so I look for the fist sized pieces at the wood yard put it on the charcol and it looks like the house is on fire. Keep it at about 65c it takes 3-4 hours. If I time it right I have the still running and the smoker going in the backyard. That then covers most thing's in life that I want, well nearly!
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 pm

I LOVE beef Jerkey but it is so expensive to buy.

Did (well doing now) my first whiskey run over gas, much easier to control than electric, run the three inch tomorrow for the first time :D

Got another two kegs today as well.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:10 am

Jerky is cheap. I sell it for $80 a kilo. That kilo of jerky has 5 kilos of steak in it. 8-)

I smoke for an hour and dry for 14 hours at a low temp in a custom smoker....

smokedchicken1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm

what steak you using for the jerky?

cutting it with a knife or a slicer?

out of interest.... do rounds (knuckle) go ok or you using topsides or ??
maheel

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Topside only. You need to be able to trim 100% of the fat and sinew.

I use a slicer, i'm in the market for a decent cheap secondhand commercial one if anyone spots a cheapie too.

You can do it just fine with a sharp knife, just partailly freeze it first for the home use quantities.
R-sole

Postby Heffers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:23 pm

In the shed today (sometime around 1 this morning) I made my first double helix condenser. Pretty happy with the results 8-) .

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby SBB » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Thats a funny time to be winding coils Heffers :D Inspired by a few drinks?????...........nice job anyway ;)
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Heffers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 pm

SBB wrote:Thats a funny time to be winding coils Heffers :D Inspired by a few drinks?????...........nice job anyway ;)
SBB

I may or may not have been midly inebriated. :roll: Geez I love Jamaican rum :P
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 pm

That is a big coil, looks good. I tried that rum of yours , nice :)
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 am

I'll be doing the second spirit run on my UJSM today. Never got to play in the shed yesterday.
R-sole

Postby R-sole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 am

Starting my sugar strips today, i have 200l or so to condense into 50l. I'll also pull all the packing out of my 3" column and clean and repack ready for my yearly neutral run. :)
R-sole

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 am

I got 200L of molasses wash to start running and need to start getting into my UJSM too, mrs Mac has been a bit thirsty of late and the stocks are getting low.

Should have plenty of time to get your plate tree done between jugs now Spud ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 pm

The plate tree would be great :) Spoke to the brother in law last night about the stainless fittings etc.

Dropped off the drums today to have filled with Mollasses, got some more brazing rods, cut off wheels etc. Time for a 50 mm coldfinger :) Also seriously considering a Boka in stainless but the needle valves are putting me off.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 am

You wouldn't believe packing could get so skanky after 4 runs...

packing1.jpg

Soaking in a 5% citric solution overnight. Will be spotless by now, but it's too frosty to go check :cry: :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

Postby maheel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 am

put a TPW down late yesterday, good to see it fizzing away this morning :)

gotta get one stripped and then refill the barrel
maheel

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Well I am looking at the photo of punkins centering rings and I am thinking I may need to make some of them for my three inch, need to get some sheet copper. I do have an old stainless sink, time to go downstairs and cut some stuff up.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

They are just copper end caps mate, cut down with a hacksaw and folded back. At a guess i'd say either 32mm or 40mm. They have a 3/8th downtube the length of the roll.

vmcentrer1.jpg
R-sole

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

I am thinking of cutting 63 mm circles with the holesaw then cutting little "V"'s around the edge and folding them up with pliers, the hole will be in the centre from the hole saw, couldn't weld a downcomer on though as it's to thin. Thanks for the tip on the end cap I will keep an eye out for them when I go to the scrap place. My big three inch really needs centering rings before I run it again...........
reknaw

Postby SBB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Took to the keg with Stilsons this morning as suggested by Spud...........Bingo had it apart in less than 5 mins :D
Then had my first go at an easy easy flange.......its well named....lots easier than I thought it would be. just a bit unsure if Ive squashed the ring part down flat enough.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit