In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Sour Corn

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 pm

I did my first stripping run of the corn which i pre-soured,
totally different to the last time, the booze finally has a corn taste/ smell, i'm stumped as to what happened last time- i think i'm heading in the right direction. :D
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Finally found some spare time to do a 50L run of SSM low wines, and gunna have a beer now the bubblers pumping out the good stuff :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

I built this little beauty for keeping my fermenter warm.
when i'm finished, it folds up to fuck all :)
P4020019.JPG

P4020018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:22 pm

I had a massive still fire today :o

Bloody wasps got into my bubbler and built a nest around one of the downcomers, column flooded and burped 90% all over the shroud...... whooooshkaa!! no eyebrows :oops:

Luckily I have an emergency plan for such situations and everything turned out AOK, fire out and column cleaned of mud from the wasps and cranked her back up again.

:lol: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:24 pm

fark, that could have been disaterous!
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Dangerous bloody things.

Fourway said it. Never distill unless your prepared to piss on the ground where you stand. Never distill unless you have a second that can put the fire straight out if you have a stroke from seeing your still on fire.

I believe that would go for BBQ'ing too if using propane for the bbq fuel. :roll:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 pm

kimbo wrote:fark, that could have been disaterous!

Yeah I cringe when I see people talking about leaving their stills alone while running, thankfully I am well prepared for such situations and never ever leave my rig while it's running ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am

Laying pipe for the solar hot water into my shed today 8-)

I never worried before, but i'm gunna be needing lots of hot water for beer, so this will save time in heating it up. :)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I got two 44 gallon drums yesterday, one to use as a shroud the other to use as a fire pit. I may also be onto a 200 ltr stainless drum, I was thinking of getting it and using it as a stipping boiler but it's to big, thought of cutting it down and welding but I think it'ld be to thin to weld (for me anyway). I need to stop buying shit...........
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 pm

kimbo wrote:I built this little beauty for keeping my fermenter warm.
when i'm finished, it folds up to fuck all :)
P4020019.JPG

P4020018.JPG

Looks good ;)
reknaw

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Glad to hear all turned out ok McStill
Was looking at the pot still I built a while back and first thought was " Mud wasps are gunna like those holes....best I plug them up now ...before the wasps do" Little bastards have caused many a problem around my place.....but nothing distilling related as yet.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I have had them clog up my 6mm offtake, was running the still and nothing was coming out, thought what the fuck......... turned off power pulled it apart, tried to blow through the 6mm and could'nt. Put te hose over it and water on, mud and a little grub came out. Put it back on the keg and it worked fine :)

On another note got 200 litres of mollases today, going halves with another member on here ;) You know who you are, PM me when you want to come get it.

Time to make some rum........
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Does it look a little like this?

mollassesdrum1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Whats 200l worth these days Spud??????.....last time I bought that much it was in a 44gal drum...at that time they were about $28 each ...filled ya own drums straight from the bulk storage tank at the mill.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey SBB,

It's gone up a bit since you last got it I can tell you that :) There is no way you'll be moving that 5Star, the 50 ltr containers are as heavy as hell.

Changed over the toilet and cistern today, got rid of some more of the trees, went and got a towel heater from on ebay to use as a heater for the fermenters.

The washes are going nowhere in this cold weather, this heater should push it along a bit faster.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 am

It got moved before and after that photo. I'm not on my comp, so can't show the gantry that's directly above it that i built into my shed when i built it just for :D this sorta stuff...
R-sole

Postby maheel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 am

spent a day mostly in the shed yesterday :)

made a batch of little creatures pale ale (clone all grain recipe)
watered down a spirit run into some gin and whiskey storage
built some things for the house renovations

today i have to bottle some beer and get the LCPA into the fermenter
maheel

Postby SmoothShineJack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I keep forgetting what I did in the shed on 'stilling days. Fortunately, the next morning, I find I did indeed turn everything off. Thankfully I am a creature of habit.
I know one shouldn't sample ones results during the process, but I keep forgetting that. :)
SmoothShineJack

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 pm

maheel wrote:spent a day mostly in the shed yesterday :)

made a batch of little creatures pale ale (clone all grain recipe)
watered down a spirit run into some gin and whiskey storage
built some things for the house renovations

today i have to bottle some beer and get the LCPA into the fermenter

Is that the dr smurtos golden one?

Got the hops for that the other day, it's my next try.
R-sole

Postby maheel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm

this is LFPA (LCPA) i like
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=39091

that Dr smurtos is suppose to be very good, i will have to give it a go :) and have a look at the recipe

i think with this batch of LFPA i mashed a bit low temp and it seems a bit "watery and thin" and the gravity is going into the 1010 range out of the fermenter it will mean it's a bit higher ALC and lower in body (maybe?)
so i dry hopped it yesterday with some Cascade to give it a bit more aroma and hope it turns out ok.... but should be good no matter what happens i reckon :)

i dumped it (no chill) on the yeast cake from a Hallertau Mittlefrueh hop pilsner i had in the ferment fridge to recycle the yeast
maheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit