In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:16 pm

I started putting together all the bits for my 150L copper boiler today, cut the 4" hole in the top and also another 4" hole as a fill port and boiler sight glass.

Got a 3600W element installed and have another 2400W element to mount also, cant wait to try out my big stripping still on it, this thing is going to be awesome.

Will post up a few piccies once it's all finished.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Progress of boiler pics

element 1.jpg

element 1.jpg

Now I've got the electrics covers worked out I'll stick the other element in, this will give me a 6kw setup :mrgreen:

Talking to my sparky neighbor today he says I can mount a potentiometer on each element for fine control 8-)

Got me fucked why the first pic shows up twice :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jdonly1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Looken good mate ;)
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm

I got my new 2400w element today,
a funny thing happened, i rang around, the one i wanted was discontinued so i found a supplier with an equivilant.
i went to pick it up, the bloke is asking a lot of questions like "is it for a hot water system"?
Ummmm........Yeah, of sorts! (not wanting to give too much away)
after numerous question and me trying to cover my ass, he pipes up and says " this is the one i use in my still"
YOU FUCKIN WHAT?
And the rest is history :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby maheel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

lol i rang a mob about a high pressure LPG reg today as i want one for my beer brewing, i start asking he says your a brewer right...

and then asks "what sort of brewing? dont you want controlled temp....." lol I think he was a stiller... shame on him...

people come out of the woodwork when they figure out your common interests :D
maheel

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 am

Bought a 4 ring burner to go under my big beer pot 'Black Betty'. Did a spirit run of ujsm, got pissed at lunchtime on good homebrewed beer.

I'm fixing up my gas atm too. When i put my 3 ring burner under the big pot for the beer, i changed the reg out for a high pressure one i had here off a weedburner.

Had to control the flame from the gas bottle knob, but could get it sounding like a jumbo.

Now i'm getting 10 litres an hour stripping instead of 6 and managed to puke my spirit run yesterday :o

Since the gas bottle is on the other side of the wall, i'm going to leave the high pressure reg in and hook an adjustable pressure one i have here on my side of the wall so i can lower it for spirit runs and thump it up for beer.
A Y piece after the second reg to feed both burners and a ball valve on each.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 am

5Star is your HP reg non-adjustable ? 10L and hour is pouring out....

i am going a adjustable one from Gameco most beer guys then reckon you can control from the reg instead of the valves on the burner.

but when you up the gas input you get some heat :) some of those rambo / NASA burners are like rockets
if i get serious and go 3V or something for beer i think i might go NAT GAS Mongolian burners as we have it piped in to the stove and could just get a valve put in in he garage.
maheel

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 am

I have a non adjustable cheapy high pressure on one side of the wall and a 1/2" ball valve on the other. That's how i've been adjusting so far by cutting the flow with the bv.

I have a lpg reg off a oxy set (new) here though with gauge and normal adjustment so would like to put this in line. The only problem is going to be finding a pol fitting to go from bottle side 1/2' male thread to the reg. I need a female pol.

I'm going to see if i can find one this morning, if so i'll hang the new burner from the big pot and set up a tee with the adjustable regulator above it and two ball valves. i'll take some pics.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 am

going down to the shed gotta stop looking at the interwebs :)

sadly not much stilling today...

maybe tomorrow i will warm something up :)
maheel

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

Was going to brew beer, but by the time i giot the welder out and made a support for the big burner under my big pot, then tee'd off the gas lines and fucked around at Reece getting fittings, then poured a beer, then cleaned up half my mess...

Well it's 12 oclock. not starting now. :lol: :lol:

I'll go out shortly an weigh/mill my grain so i have a good start in the morning. 8-)
R-sole

Postby busman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Making another attempt at sealing my liebig.. going better so far today than previously, I haven't yelled at it or thrown it across the yard yet :lol:
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby rumby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Just got hold of an old hockey net (huge 4000mm x 1800 mm and weighs a fuckn tonne), new chicken coupe (to keep the kelpie pup out), brought an electric fence, she got zapped the other day (its cruel to watch, but very effective), last final attempts at chickens, a few alterations to be made, it will be like fort knox.

Did me first mollasses stripping run yesterday, doent smell real good (tails) watered it down to 30 %. Bloody second element still has arrived, just hanging to fire up the new keg.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Busy day in the shed today :D

Cleaning run still in progress, finally finished my 6kw 150L boiler, it's got a 3.6kw + 2.4kw pair of elements :mrgreen:

cleaning run.jpg

Also started putting together my newest version of a sight glass for my big bubbler

sight glasses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I was flat chat pulling my shed to bits all day. I'll post some pics tommorow, but i dragged out the 3 door drink fridge i had my ferments in and started welding up big mutha shelves in it's place. Will give me a lot more storage room and i won't have kegs and buckets every fucken where. 8-)
R-sole

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:15 pm

i did my rum spirit run ( got that on some oak ;) ), cleaned out my shed, got some corn soaking to pre-sour :P
and tried to install a new chip in my 30w Amp and it still doesnt work :roll:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:55 pm

It didnt take me too long to realise I need finer control of the defagglematater, trying to keep the new bubbler stable with a ball valve controlling reflux was fucked up :roll:

I've changed it out for a gate valve for tomorrows rum run and have a 1/2" needle valve sorted out for next week, other than that I could not get the new bubbler to flood with the new monster downcomers.

Happy Days :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Oh!

...and before anyone says anything about using plastic on my still :lol:

I had to fucken use something to cover the elements :P
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:59 am

The shelving is turning out to be a great improvement...

I have the main unit built and just need a couple of higher shelves for some light bulky stuff like my mash tun etc...

The space that used to be taken up by this bloody thing, and the access needed for it..

fermentfridge1.jpg

Is now being utilised much more efficiently...

shelf1.jpg

shelf2.jpg

shelf3.jpg
R-sole

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Made another parrot today

parrot 2.jpg

Also put together a pot still for The Stig, in appreciation for all his efforts getting us moved and other ongoing work behind the scenes ;)

Hope ya like it Stig, it's not quite finished yet but you get the general idea :)

Just needs hose connectors, backing nut for your boiler, and I'll solder the last join to get the angle of the liebig right once I know the height of your boiler.

pot still.jpg

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Nice boys
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler