Where to buy grains

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Where to buy grains

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm in Mackay and called a produce store today they can sell me wheat, barley and corn but say they can't guarantee the contain preservatives etc although they have absolutely no reason to believe they do. Are stock feed grains ok I general and is there anyone else in Mackay that can tell me where they get grains from or just go to the brew shop.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: Where to buy grains

Postby DaveZ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 pm

The feed shop stuff should be alright, I got my corn and barley from our feed store out here. I'm still trying to find an online store to buy malted grains etc from. Ordered $100 worth of grain from Beer belly online as a trial. That was 2 months ago and I haven't seen or heard a thing from them. The money left my account, I've tried emailing them, nothing. So I'll have to try another store I think
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:49 pm

That's a bit strange Dave as I've only heard good things about them, I reckon if you rang them they'd sort it out for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DaveZ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah that might have to be my next go. I only emailed them a couple weeks ago to try to find out what was going on. Will find time somewhere to give them a call.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Not sure if I got it right but I think corn and wheat were $19 for 20kg and barley $7 a kg. Does that sound fair.
newbiboozer

Where to buy grains

Postby sconly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Barley at $7 a kg is a shit load more then I would ever pay I'd look around a bit more
sconly

equipment: 4" VM sitting on a 300ltr boiler
6" stripper in the making
6" sexy bubbler on the way

Postby Farmhand » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:45 pm

I've got feed store grain as well but I got mine for around 16 dollars a bag for wheat and corn and I think 18 for the barley, the corn is a bit rough and has some trash in it, but the wheat and barley look good, I wash the grain first while it's whole, I just got a grain cracker and will need to wash then dry then crack the grains that I don't want to malt first. I've been sprouting grains for some time now for my animals so it comes natural to lightly malt some grain.

I only just recently decided to learn how to brew beer and make alcohol to use and drink. I've done two test fermentations and one distilling run. Here's hoping the fun continues, I'm about to try my first malted wheat - barley - rye - honey beer. Smelled so nice out of the fermenting barrel I had a sneaky taste.

Yummy.
Farmhand

equipment: Air still and pot still

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 am

@ farmhand, I have found the trashy corn with the odd bits of cob and stalk gives more flavor to a ujsm type wash. Ipaid the extra $$$ once for some premium organic corn and it was a disappointment flavor wise.
Cheep trashy corn(within reason) gets my vote. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I ferment it cobs and all.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks for all the input. I'm still hoping for someone in the Mackay area that may be able to tell me where is best up here.
newbiboozer

Postby Farmhand » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Boozer, I know some people from and in the Mackay area I'll do some asking and see what I can find out, I'm in Rockhampton but was Born in Mackay :handgestures-thumbupleft: So a lot of family is still there. Might take a little while to contact the people who would know. Some places can be dodgey, I go to Rocky feed and seed, they sell grain for sowing as well, but most of that would be treated with fungicides and pesticides I think. It is the feed grain we want, but just no sour stuff, nice dry whole grains is my choice because I can see and smell the quality. We can't see it till after we buy but the quality is consistent from them. The Barley is a big seller and I had to wait for a bag, I store my grains in an old deep freezer which gets opened every day.

Kiwikeg, thanks for the heads up on the corn, i won't be so concerned about it now, I don't malt the corn, the corn is for flavor and grits mainly. My animals seem to like the spent grains and left over stuff a lot, so not much is wasted no matter what happens.
Farmhand

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Farmhand wrote:Hi Boozer, I know some people from and in the Mackay area I'll do some asking and see what I can find out, I'm in Rockhampton but was Born in Mackay :handgestures-thumbupleft: So a lot of family is still there. Might take a little while to contact the people who would know. Some places can be dodgey, I go to Rocky feed and seed, they sell grain for sowing as well, but most of that would be treated with fungicides and pesticides I think. It is the feed grain we want, but just no sour stuff, nice dry whole grains is my choice because I can see and smell the quality. We can't see it till after we buy but the quality is consistent from them. The Barley is a big seller and I had to wait for a bag, I store my grains in an old deep freezer which gets opened every day.

Kiwikeg, thanks for the heads up on the corn, i won't be so concerned about it now, I don't malt the corn, the corn is for flavor and grits mainly. My animals seem to like the spent grains and left over stuff a lot, so not much is wasted no matter what happens.

Thanks Farmhand I really appreciate you helping me out like that mate. I look forward to hearing from you mate.
newbiboozer

Postby Farmhand » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Newbiboozer, It is my pleasure if I can help, but unfortunately I have drawn a blank as yet on word of mouth info. My uncle (who was my best shot at good advice as he has always kept animals) has up and moved all the way to South Australia and I don't have his mobile number yet.

However I did some online snooping out of curiosity and I found three places that I'll list in order of where I would go, you may have already contacted one of them anyway, and I am still hunting my Uncles number.

1) Miners Stockfeed, 952 Eungella Rd, Pleystowe QLD 4741, They list grains and "custom mixes" in their services so I assume they have all the grain types in bulk or can get them and bag it.
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/pleys ... sting.html

2) Mackay's Stockfeed, They sell a Premium cleaned Wheat product for 1* dollars per 20 kg bag, I wish I could get that, I like wheat, but we want Barley for sure and corn. I like to snack on wheat sprouts. Yummy.
http://www.mackaysstockfeed.com.au/gall ... date_added

3) Highway Produce and rural supplies. http://www.localdirectories.com.au/Glen ... ofile/oOo9

Sounds like we are both in a similar stage of our brewing/distilling hobby/interest. :smile: I've only done a couple of test brews and have a barrel of brew almost ready, it's at day 12 and bubbles are slowing, finally.

If I can get any word of mouth info I'll let you know.

Cheers
Farmhand

Postby crow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 am

Seriously I wouldn't bother washing grain for a mash
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby newbiboozer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:34 am

Farmhand wrote:Hi Newbiboozer, It is my pleasure if I can help, but unfortunately I have drawn a blank as yet on word of mouth info. My uncle (who was my best shot at good advice as he has always kept animals) has up and moved all the way to South Australia and I don't have his mobile number yet.

However I did some online snooping out of curiosity and I found three places that I'll list in order of where I would go, you may have already contacted one of them anyway, and I am still hunting my Uncles number.

1) Miners Stockfeed, 952 Eungella Rd, Pleystowe QLD 4741, They list grains and "custom mixes" in their services so I assume they have all the grain types in bulk or can get them and bag it.
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/pleys ... sting.html

2) Mackay's Stockfeed, They sell a Premium cleaned Wheat product for 1* dollars per 20 kg bag, I wish I could get that, I like wheat, but we want Barley for sure and corn. I like to snack on wheat sprouts. Yummy.
http://www.mackaysstockfeed.com.au/gall ... date_added

3) Highway Produce and rural supplies. http://www.localdirectories.com.au/Glen ... ofile/oOo9

Sounds like we are both in a similar stage of our brewing/distilling hobby/interest. :smile: I've only done a couple of test brews and have a barrel of brew almost ready, it's at day 12 and bubbles are slowing, finally.

If I can get any word of mouth info I'll let you know.

Cheers
Thanks mate called the first one all the stuff I need at $1 per kg. I try them.
newbiboozer

Postby Farmhand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 am

crow wrote:Seriously I wouldn't bother washing grain for a mash

I understand where you're coming from, but wouldn't chemical residues and dirt/dust with fertilizers and chemicals in it affect the enzymes and or yeast ? If they are present. I do understand that it is safe for the animals to eat that we eat, but we also heat the grain and add other chemicals. I guess it's a personal preference thing, I'm no chemist so I just want to play it safe. I've always washed and removed the trash from the grains I sprout for animal feed to stop any rot and look for stones, rat/mouse poop and other stuff. My place is a mess I'm no neat freak or anything but I do get a bit precious with the grain I admit. :oops:

Cheers

P.S. No probs Boozer, good stuff and fair price. Sometimes we can get wheat here for a few hundred a ton. Need a lot of drums or a silo for that but it works out cheap.

Farmhand

Postby Gerry77 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:17 am

G’day guys,

I live in Calen Qld, and have my own (edited) for alcohol but I am not here to steal people from this group to add to mine. I regularly buy my grain from (removed by Stig sell your shit elsewhere) I have been trying to locate rye with zero success so looks as though I will have to go interstate to buy my rye, as rye is pretty much a staple to nearly every alcohol on the planet. There’s no need to wash your stockfeed as the chemical they put on the grain etc is only to deter insects like cockroaches and weavels ( if that’s how you spell it) I only use stock feeds as it’s cheaper to buy and still does the same job As your more “expensive” grains. I hope this helps.
Gerry
Moonshiners Australia and Abroad
Last edited by The Stig on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerry77

equipment: Homemade keg still

Postby The Stig » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:02 am

Advertise the group 1 more time and your out the door .
I don’t mean to be an arse but I will not allow every post to include your add
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to The Dunder Pit