Tamborine Mountain Distillery

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Tamborine Mountain Distillery

Postby jeracoo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey guys, so I was at Tamborine mountain today and thought I'd have a look at the distillery. Now I'm not sure if its just me but something seems a bit off about that place, are they actually distilling their own product there or are they just using a base?

I saw a few stills but all of them looked as though they never get used, anyone else been there?
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Re: Tamborine Mountain Distillery

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I've never been there, I did a search on google and they talk the place up ;)

I have done the Bundaberg distillery tour and thought it was pretty ordinary, nothing like the hype they advertise on TV :lol: :lol:

If these big distilleries spent the money on their product half as much as they do on their advertising :roll: :roll: :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I've been up there, the fella that owns it is "different" but in a good way, he is an Artisan distiller, family business and he won't sell through big chains even though he has been approached by distributors. He is very anti big companies \ business. I suppose you could say he is a bit like a hippy but not, if that makes sense?
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:00 am

You're not the first to notice his rort...

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... it=tamb%2A
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby jeracoo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 am

5Star wrote:You're not the first to notice his rort...

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... it=tamb%2A

Interesting, I wonder how easy it is to setup a "distillery" and just buy neutral grain spirit and infuse it and sell it.
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:47 am

Read through the stuff on the AD link and thought a few people were being a bit hard on this place. One guy even having a whinge because the drive way was a bit rough. Yes some poor buggers still have dirt driveways with a few rocks on them in this country.
Ive been there a couple of times and bought things both times. I found them to be quite generous with the samples( a reasonable slug in a small shot glass). I reckon I sampled 7 or 8 different things without being asked to pay the $5 and ended up buying a couple of bottles. Every time Ive been there the shop has been very busy and most people seem to sample at least a few drinks so looking at it from that angle the $5 charged is probably fair considering the amount of grog they would have to give away if they didn't charge something.
Every thing Ive sampled was excellent. The Choc Chilli Liquour is really good stuff.......have a sip all you can taste is chocolate.....then the chilli hits :o. 5Star I tried the Jaffa and was almost going to buy a bottle....it was pretty good from memory. The windows of the Distillery its self were pretty dusty when I was there.......spent a while with my nose pressed up against them......it all looked pretty tidy with heaps of big glass jars and demijohns full of fruit and different spices as well as ALC. and the Stills. My impression was that the area looked well used even though the windows were pretty dirty.
Considering the amount of grog they sell I think Its quite likely they also have a bigger set up somewhere else in the area purely for manufacturing the stuff.
In short I think its well worth a look for anyone interested in distilling.
Just my thoughts on it
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I was under the impression the stuff out the front was for "show" I assumed he probably had a set up "out the back" where he actually did everything, I asked if they did a tour and was told no-one is alowed near the distilling area because of the cost of public liability insurance. If he is buying in neutral and then flavouring it by whatever means I think that's a little deceptive.

The wife and I tried a few things all were very good, we didn't buy anything because I am a tight arse and I have my own under the house :D

Whatever he is doing I think he's turning out a good product, I recon it's expensive but people must be buying it.
reknaw

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Guess where I was today :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:
The word "tour" is a stretch thats for sure.
I was greeted by a pommy woman who was all to happy to answer my questions but she stumbled when I asked what sort of wash they used to make the neutral :laughing-rolling:
The shop (and area) was empty and I got to sample a few drinks for free but I couldnt bring myself to pay $40 for a 375ml bottle.
I did come away with some ideas for flavoring that I will try this weekend.
I get the impression that nothing is made in the few buildings that you see there, maybe at best, they try new infusions before going commercial in that first building.
All up, I would have to say "good on the guy" if he can make a living with what he does (whatever that is) but I wouldnt make a second trip there.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Micheal (aka 'He') adds flavours to ???-souced neutral and his wife handpaints vague floral emblems on the bottles. The Brisvegas crowd love it, pay truckloads for the stuff and nobody complains about what they get for their 'hard earned $' (either from the day out OR the takeaways). Its small business success, through and through.

I agree QLD.Andy, its not my scene but good on 'him' (and BTW the bottles are great for refilling and then giving to 'those you love' as presents ;) ).
Frank

Return to The Dunder Pit