What's everyone drinking?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: What's everyone drinking?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 pm

Going thru all my aged bottles to see just what is worth keeping and the rest is going into the neutral spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Got a couple of bottles of my manzano chilli experiment and man :obscene-drinkingchug: they arent getting thrown in as they taste so bloody nice. :laughing-rolling: It does seem a few years in the bottle has done wonders so thats what is on the menu today so I have got plenty of bottles to decant my first AG run

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Weather has turned very cool here. Tonight's tipple will be puddin' gin.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm

I think sam smythe is drinking water goes he did a great job on distilling some the other day and it tasted amazing lol :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Carol wrote:Weather has turned very cool here. Tonight's tipple will be puddin' gin.

Whats puddin gin?
Bit early for me but will be a rum and a burbon this arvo..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Are christmas pudding gin.
I reakon it would be nice made with rum base then aged..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Puddin' gin is my take on 4 Pillars Christmas GIn. Tastes like puddin'.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Sounds awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: did you macerate or vapour infuse?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Macerated.
Soaked dried fruit in chai tea first to plump up the fruit. Then left it for 4 weeks to macerate with spices that I would use in a pudding. . Used a coffee plunger to strain out the liquid. (Fruit is in the freezer and will be used in baking later). Gin tastes like Xmas pudding. I have another batch on now and am planning fig and ginger for the next lot.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:33 pm

How is the coffee plunger working for you? Another thing i often think of buying..

And am def going to try with rum.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:41 pm

Coffee plunger ( large one from the oppie) is great. I can squish the fruit down a bit to strain off the liquor - I am not concerned about sediment - and then freeze the leftover fruit to use later. I have frozen the fruit leftover from various berry gins and given it to a friend who has used it in kefir ale with great success.
( The last dregs eventually end up in his compost bin .)
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Forgot to add that Daiso sell large DIY tea bags - 100 for $2.80. I put my spices etc in the tea bag, fold it over and leave it to macerate. It is easy to remove (and add to the compost).
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm

well I put a buy on ADA this morning and when I finally looked I was $130 up so closed it and did a short soon after made $110 so not a bad day on the crypto :laughing-rolling: Eh it beats working don't it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: anyway decanted the rest of the TPW wash into the bolier for a run in the morning and maybe set up for the spirit run too :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So a good weekend all round I reckon :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby B-Man » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Whats everyone Making?

I done my first wash a TFFV tasted great off the still. nice sweet taste 93% the whole way of the 4" 4 plate 550mm packed section bubbler.
might try a kale or TPW for vodkas and see if I can notice the difference.
I make a brandy from bulk wine I have access to. Comes out quite good most get finished off before I get a chance to oak it.
just looking for a whiskey and rum mash to finish off 4 main ones I want to create. What's everyone's go to mash for a whiskey/bourbon/scotch?
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 am

If it is a bourbon you are chasing the BWKO is my go to.

Well when I say go it it is my only wash lol. I have some AG bourbon going at the moment but am yet to strip enough for a spirit run yet.

I found BWKO to be a nice fast ferment and drinkable very quickly
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby R3dRanga » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 am

Macerated.
Soaked dried fruit in chai tea first to plump up the fruit. Then left it for 4 weeks to macerate with spices that I would use in a pudding. . Used a coffee plunger to strain out the liquid. (Fruit is in the freezer and will be used in baking later). Gin tastes like Xmas pudding. I have another batch on now and am planning fig and ginger for the next lot.

Wow Carol, you've got it going on! That sounds delicious. And very ingenious.

After my 4th wash, I've got 'just drinkable' vodka. It's not too bad, but here to learn how it could be better. Carol is giving me hope that the airstill is workable!
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Carol » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am

Sorry Ranga - Puddin' Gin was done with the boka and pot! BUT - if you look up Zymurgy Bob's gin extract. I use the air still for that as it is a small quantity that is distilled and you want to keep the flavour. It is a strong flavour and you add as much (or as little) as you like to a neutral spirit to make your gin. It works for me as I do not like strongly flavoured gin personally but i can increase the amount for friends who prefer a stronger taste. I did a Squealing Pig Rose Gin clone and it was pretty close to the original according to my taste testers who compared them side by side.

I make a version of Baileys with a base recipe of 1 bottle Aldi chocolate topping, 2 cartons of long life cream (200ml each) and 500ml neutral at 40%. You might find that this works with your just drinkable vodka as the chocolate flavour might drown the vodka "flavour". It takes a week or so for the flavours to meld so if you make it leave it for a bit. If it works for you there are lots of variations on this recipe.

Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby R3dRanga » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks Carol. I'll try the gin recipe after my next neutral run. Well, in a week or two after I triple distill doing 4L at a time!

I just had to search what a "boka and pot" means. I think I've sorta worked it out... and now I'm dreaming of an upgrade! Although I feel a little out of my depth, so I'll keep playing with the little toy for a bit longer yet. Then maybe consider a sweet Christmas present for myself :razz:

I'm pretty fussy with vodka, so I think (???) I'm doing ok. Not much of a sweet tooth and not a fan of milky drinks, but definitely keen to play with botanicals.
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Carol » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:20 am

R3dRanga
FSD 2" boka and pot are cost effective, produce great results and are easy to use. IThere is a thread on my boka in reflux stills). They don't take up much space. They are fast compared to the air still but slow compared to bigger rigs. I have the system down to a fine art now. If you are thinking about an upgrade later it is worth having a chat to Andrew to get an idea of cost.
When I do Zymurgy Bob's extract I use the botanicals ( except for orange peel) for a second round. There is still a lot of flavour to be extracted and botanicals can be exxy.
Tea can also make an interesting infusion, particularly the cold brew teas.
Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby R3dRanga » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:40 am

Thanks heaps Carol.

There is a thread on my boka in reflux stills

I found your post along with your beautiful pics. Did I see that you run cold pool water through yours? I'm assuming standard tap water is ok? Or other method? Creek? (Jokes - perhaps I've been watching too much of 'Moonshiners'!)

a chat to Andrew

Is that his handle/username here? I'd love to have a chat soon to see what I'm looking at cost wise, requirements etc. so I can plan ahead (and get excited!).

When I do Zymurgy Bob's extract

Do you use the recipe as is? Or cut the quantity down? Seems a lot to fit in the little airstill basket.
I'm glad you mentioned recycling botanicals. After my one trial run of botanicals they were still very pungent and I thought about keeping them for a 2nd run.

Cheers,
Ranga
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:40 am

R3dRanga wrote:
a chat to Andrew

Is that his handle/username here? I'd love to have a chat soon to see what I'm looking at cost wise, requirements etc. so I can plan ahead (and get excited!).
Cheers,
Ranga

Yep :laughing-rolling:
Or actually call me, on a phone, its easier to answer questions than type out an essay :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit