What's everyone drinking?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: What's everyone drinking?

Postby Carol » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 am

Hi Ranga
I marcerate the botanicals in a large jar and then strain them with my coffee plunger and then distill the strained liquid. I think it is 1 litre of 40% neutral. Starts off muddy brown colour - ends up clear.
I usually do two batches. Macerate , strain, put in a bottle, macerate and strain again and then distill both batches in the air still. At the moment I am increasing the coriander and reducing the juniper a bit. I also add a small head of lavender. You can tweak the recipe to your taste.
I don't have an air still basket.

I am currently working on a Roku style gin with green tea and szechuan pepper as the base. (Same method).

I run the still with a submersible pump in the pool at the moment because we have a pool. When we eventually move (next house does not have a pool) I will try running it in the bath tub unless the garden needs watering. In the pictures you can see the hoses. You can just as easily connect to a tap as the pump and the exit water can be diverted to wherever you want it to go.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 am

Decided to decanter 20ml of that neutral run I did last week and to get just under 40% got to just over 50ml :handgestures-thumbupleft: now as it's a warm one here again today 37C in the shade :teasing-tease: the spirit is a tad warm :o but man no taste at all so time to decanter a bottle and chuck it in the freezer :laughing-rolling:

This weekend I'll put down 2 litres for a licorice root run and this time macerate the goodies at full strength to get the most of the goodies out then just water it down for the run in my 2" pot still in my SS 5 litre boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 pm

Well the temp got to 42C in the shed and yea that neutral did give one a warm feeling so when I came down to the house as I need to go pick up my daughter decided to try the one I got in the freezer :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Got the complete opposite taste :teasing-tease: nice cool feeling :obscene-drinkingchug: so thats on tonights menu and finally made something SWMBO likes :handgestures-thumbupleft: although she waters it down to about 15% :angry-banghead:

Nothing wrong with doing the Russian thang :laughing-rolling: keep walking to the freezer until ya fall over thewn you know you've had enough :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 pm

just did the cuts on Bryan's Licorice root run I did on Tuesday.

Cust were 50 ml so not enought to dilute and taste , se simply snffed, poured into a glass and sniffed again. Hmm surely the smallest of sips cant hurt I mean it is only 85%.

Finely did something the missus enjoyed, of it was not the drink , it was my reaction when my greedy gob over rode my smart brain and the sip was not so small.

Man oh man that is so frigging hot, the missus is still laughing but I can at last breath. It is nice to brighten someone's day.

I will let you know what i think when my taste buds get back home Bryan, they instantly left so I was not tempted to do that again
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Wellsy wrote:just did the cuts on Bryan's Licorice root run I did on Tuesday.

Cust were 50 ml so not enought to dilute and taste , se simply snffed, poured into a glass and sniffed again. Hmm surely the smallest of sips cant hurt I mean it is only 85%.

Finely did something the missus enjoyed, of it was not the drink , it was my reaction when my greedy gob over rode my smart brain and the sip was not so small.

Man oh man that is so frigging hot, the missus is still laughing but I can at last breath. It is nice to brighten someone's day.

I will let you know what i think when my taste buds get back home Bryan, they instantly left so I was not tempted to do that again

HAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

You bloody IDIOT :violence-smack: :violence-smack: :violence-smack: you deserve everything you did mate and it gave me a laugh when said SWMBO made her day.

So the prize for the idiot of week goes to no other than Wellsy for being a jackass and not diluting the cut to 40-42% :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:55 pm

Well interesting breakfast today as the taste buds were still out of town.
They came home just in time for lunch. Just tried the watered down licorice Vodka. It is meant to wait 5 weeks for settling but I am thinking I should have made a bigger batch if it is to last that long. Anybody who enjoys licorice give this one a try as I am sure you will enjoy it.
Thanks for the recipe Bryan
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:44 pm

It’s such a hard life, sitting out the back listening to a bit of supertramp sucking on a well aged ( 3 months ) BWKO and this misuses is loving the Odin’s gin that is 5 hours old. How the hell do any of you guys keep this stuff for 2 plus years lol

Really appreciate all the help you gurus have given to get me to this point

Cheers guys and girls
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:35 pm

What Wellsy no licorice root vodka on the menu tonight or are you too scared your taste buds might take a trip to qld again :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

For me been taking a dram of my neutral out of the freezer where I got told take it outa there as there is no room :violence-smack: :violence-smack:

So duly took it upto the shed where the bottle frosted over and for hours just had a cool sensation going down the gullet :laughing-rolling:

I've been making flowers out cutlery this week and the goal is to get a 100 made for the event at Easter so I can get a 2-3K cash payday :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bending so many forks with my longnose pliers made the jaws skew :angry-banghead: so I got my small ball pein hammer and wacked the pivot pin to tighten it up and that fixed em nicely :handgestures-thumbupleft:

On Friday decided to ring a laborhire mob I worked with years ago and got a call today for a job tomorrow :handgestures-thumbupleft: I got asked how much I was worth where I said well pay the max and I'll do my best pay the worst and I might turn up :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:17 pm

Lol
What are you worth ????
Now that is a hell of a question lol
Are you talking as a fabricator or one of those new fangle Bitcoin advisers :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:08 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lol
What are you worth ????
Now that is a hell of a question lol
Are you talking as a fabricator or one of those new fangle Bitcoin advisers :laughing-rolling:

Looks like i've done my job to twist that Collingwood supporters mind to not know whether it hairy or Mary :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Well with starting that new job and I may aswell tell you guys what it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Last Friday I rang a laborhire mob I worked with about 3 years ago and after I uploaded my resume I got a call on Sunday I had a interview the next day. Well I went in where I got to talk with the boss where he said Bryan don't think of this as an interview and think more like lets get to know each other. He asked me well mate you look in the mid 50's so I assume your after a job to see you out to retirement.

Well I started the next and was still employed at the end of shift today :laughing-rolling: and the company is a motor body builder where they make everything from trays for utes to to brandnew truck chassis where we make trays, the one I'm fabricating now is 8.5 metres long :laughing-rolling: and keeping it straight is all done by eye :scared-eek:

In my talk with the boss last week he said we had some defence work coming up and as every job is different but on the same tune I did think this job would be mundane but instead working for a family company is going to have great benefits and 3 months will fly by where doing my own thing have a job thru to me saying fuckit I'm retiring. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

As far as the drop tonight I grabbed a block of 150 lash's and a bag of ice so finally get a Friday night :obscene-drinkingchug: and the empties can go to making more cider :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:15 pm

Sipping on my BWKO on ice

Life is very good :)
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Wellsy wrote:Sipping on my BWKO on ice

Life is very good :)

So hows that licorice root going mate got your taste buds back :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Sugarhead gen 7 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Some nicely aged Vodka and a few pain killers :O)
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:04 pm

What did you do stig? And what sort vodka :think:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 am

My shoulder has left home and just a weet-bix that’s been sitting in the glass Demi for about 6 months mellowing
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:43 am

Have not got round to wbab yet but on my list.
Bummer bout ya shoulder..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 am

bluc wrote:Bummer bout ya shoulder..

Its known around these parts as "just getting older" :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:17 pm

As all joints. Buggers are never the same once injured..
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit