Looking for work

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Looking for work

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:07 pm

G'day Guys,
Well that quarry job only lasted until the rain came and it felt like I was working in the gulag and got sacked for going to lunch :doh: , anyway been on the dog & bone ever since but selling firewood left right and centre has kept that wolf at bay(The fuckin bank), anyway a mate rang last night and said he had a contact for me so I rang him this morning and my first assignment with them is a shutdown at Karara in WA for a 6 day shutdown early next month. I will have to pay for my flight over and back and find accommodation when I get over as there aint any flights that get to Perth from Adelaide at 6am when I need to fly to the job.

Anyway this is what I used to do so the chance to get back into it is great, just as the dog & bone expect one to do 15 hrs a week being a slave. Was supposed to go with SWMBO today at the centre she goes to every friday and backed out due to this job prospect. Got a call from a gal that bought firewood off me before saying she run out and that first load was great, I did say my mates trailer run out of rego but what the fuck, so spent 4 hours cutting some well seasoned firewood and man was it hard on the chainsaw sawing thru 18" thick seasoned mallee. When we were unloading the gal said WOW this is better than the last load so don't worry about the change :-D .

It has been that long I can't remember the last beer so bought a slab of pales and a bag of ice so settling in a good friday night like I used to. I will be in the pub so it you guys want a chat well :music-deathmetal: bring it on.....

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Thought I'd bring us this old thread to tell the tales of my casual work life with a labourhire company. Well the company is MK2 based in Adelaide. I have been working for them for over 2 years and every assignment I was given the report was good. Got asked if I wanted to nightshift at Target in the Marion complex and what a week it was. Did from Sunday night thru to Thursday night and found this Irish TA had done a deal with the project manager to get rid of 3 of us. What was said about me this irishman has said Bryan is too old to push the cart so he should be sacked. I did ask the project manger and he did confirm it and I said this is a blatant case of age discrimination. So I lodged a complaint with MK2 and found a full week out of work. Now on Fiday I got a call go work with BMD again for their project. Worked with them for 3 projects now and still no permanent.

Got a call from Hays do I want to do a 2 day shutdown at Hellgrove $50 an hour, hell on 2 night shifts could make more than a week at work. But the BMD again is too inciting for a few weeks work.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby warramungas » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Bryan1 wrote:Thought I'd bring us this old thread to tell the tales of my casual work life with a labourhire company. Well the company is MK2 based in Adelaide. I have been working for them for over 2 years and every assignment I was given the report was good. Got asked if I wanted to nightshift at Target in the Marion complex and what a week it was. Did from Sunday night thru to Thursday night and found this Irish TA had done a deal with the project manager to get rid of 3 of us. What was said about me this irishman has said Bryan is too old to push the cart so he should be sacked. I did ask the project manger and he did confirm it and I said this is a blatant case of age discrimination. So I lodged a complaint with MK2 and found a full week out of work. Now on Fiday I got a call go work with BMD again for their project. Worked with them for 3 projects now and still no permanent.

Got a call from Hays do I want to do a 2 day shutdown at Hellgrove $50 an hour, hell on 2 night shifts could make more than a week at work. But the BMD again is too inciting for a few weeks work.

Cheers Bryan

Only two things I cant stand. Age discrimination and old farts at work! :laughing-rolling:

Bit of a a twist on the old male chauvinists and women too big for their boots.
It sucks Bryan (too old to push a cart wtf??) but sounds like you've got plenty of work rolling in now. Most of our permanents are ex-hires from labor hire mobs.
Warra
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Lowie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:13 pm

What's your trade Bryan?
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Well guy's with the labor hire industry going into meltdown over that court case where a labor hire worker won the case and got annual leave etc paid out I havent had any work work with them since.

So decided to get on seek and applied for one job at Murray Bridge where I got a call and went in for a interview and didn't hear a word for 3 weeks. Anyway my local service provider got me onto a job close to home only 15 minutes drive ( all on back roads) and on the third day I got a call saying I had the job in Murray Bridge where I knocked it back due to having the job close to home as one would do.

Anyway after the first week got told to have 2 days off as the boss wasn't there so only 3 days pay for the week. Then last Sunday night got a text at 7.30pm saying no work for the next week as he will be interstate. Now this is after he said I wouldn't be having anymore time off too so I wasn't too impressed.

So rang back Manpower on Monday and asked them to resubmit my application saying I had reconsidered the position and got told I would get an answer by Thursday. After lunch today got a call from from them saying would I like to start Monday. She did say this was very odd where one turns down a job then 3 weeks later asked to be reconsidered and well done.

As the job will be mainly Stainless Steel tig welding I think one can see a SS bubbler in the new future if donor pipe comes around.

Cheers Bryan

P.S. Lowie I'm a Fitter/Machinist/Self taught welder/fabricator and I have my own machineshop off the grid and for heavy welding work I just use a 16HP Listeriod Diesel with a 5Kw ST genhead.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Plumby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Jebus talk about getting the run around man, glad you got a good gig in the end.
Nothing worse than being promised the world then being handed an atlas.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm a fitter and turner (toolmaker qual'd too). I know a few business owners (mates of mine) in the big smoke (northern suburbs) looking for tradies like you mate. They don't give a shit how old you are either. PM me if you need a hand mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Lowie wrote:I'm a fitter and turner (toolmaker qual'd too). I know a few business owners (mates of mine) in the big smoke (northern suburbs) looking for tradies like you mate. They don't give a shit how old you are either. PM me if you need a hand mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Lowie back in '03 when we bought farm it was off the grid and with a 25K investment where we got 8K back has stood the test of time. After 10 years the sonnenshiens gave up and I have been using forklift batteries ever since.

My Machine shops run off VFD's where I put the Hz to 100 and program the VFD to make the 2HP motor think like a 3HP motor. It does make for easy maching too.

My shed bank has 350 watts of PV and a Fisher &Paykel washing motor setup as a wind generator with the capacitor mod i did to get more power for the same rpm

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well the first week of this new job is over and I have another week at Murray Bridge then I start at their other plant near the river. Got the roster for the next 6 weeks where times vary from 7 am to 12 pm for arvo shift. Made my first tig welding product where the cheese makers can put the cheese in the plastic bag without getting cheese on the plastic bag. Well in the process room it went down like a ton of bricks where the operators said why this change as it will make it slower and refuse to use it. O'well this project was my first one where argon was directed at the weld so purging could happen so the internal weld is done. Now one tip I got with tig welding is use the shroud on the item and at 30 degrees just walk and wobble to make the weld. By using 30 degrees if there are any crap it will get blown out so the weld is done pure. I did try it this way and got blown away how easy it was. So if guys have a tig try this method out and look at the difference.

There is one more opening for a job for a fitter/Machinist/Tig Welder who want a job and can fit in to this laid back job where banter is the go but when the shit hits fan we fix it. So Lowie I am looking at you if you want a drive up the hill and a 70K wage being a casual as none of us will accept the permanent offer.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby googe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 am

Just thought i'd share this as i got a reminder email the other day. I worked for this company in Melbourne for about 5 years, great company, 4 day 36hr week, was on $38hr as a shit kicker trade assistant, so they pay well and its a short week lol. They have a new contract starting in a couple of years but are taking interest now and some possitions are available now. https://careers.au.baesystems.com/campaign/sea5000 https://careers.au.baesystems.com/jobto ... anid=16804
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 pm

I moved over to the other work site today a week earlier than planned in order to get a new plant up and going in the next week. All the maintenance staff are employed by labor hire mobs as the company refuses to give a decent job offer. $35 an hour and it works out to 2 hrs at time and a half so not too shabby.

When I get time spare I'm having a go at purge welding SS to get the knack back after many years lapse. To say there is enough goodies to make a SS still is an understatement. :)) :)) :)) But still yet to come across some 6" stuff, plenty of 4" laying around but who wants to make a second 4" whan a 6" still seem the bees knees :text-lol:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Bryan1 wrote:G'day Guy's,
Well the first week of this new job is over and I have another week at Murray Bridge then I start at their other plant near the river. Got the roster for the next 6 weeks where times vary from 7 am to 12 pm for arvo shift. Made my first tig welding product where the cheese makers can put the cheese in the plastic bag without getting cheese on the plastic bag. Well in the process room it went down like a ton of bricks where the operators said why this change as it will make it slower and refuse to use it. O'well this project was my first one where argon was directed at the weld so purging could happen so the internal weld is done. Now one tip I got with tig welding is use the shroud on the item and at 30 degrees just walk and wobble to make the weld. By using 30 degrees if there are any crap it will get blown out so the weld is done pure. I did try it this way and got blown away how easy it was. So if guys have a tig try this method out and look at the difference.

There is one more opening for a job for a fitter/Machinist/Tig Welder who want a job and can fit in to this laid back job where banter is the go but when the shit hits fan we fix it. So Lowie I am looking at you if you want a drive up the hill and a 70K wage being a casual as none of us will accept the permanent offer.

Cheers Bryan

Thanks for thinking of me mate - appreciated. I don't get my hands dirty anymore (unless I fall over), I consult (tell you the time with your watch) to manufacturing companies nowadays. Cheers, Lowie
Lowie

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Well what a turn up is my full time job gone or is it just a day off but the word I got was my term had expired so I went and picked my tools up. Had to call a local worker to open the workshop and all he said is this isn't the first time as last a guy had been here 6 months and got the call last year 2 days before xmas.

O'well a veranda job has come up took look at Thursday and being Callington it will be an easy job. I have said material and cost to keep the price down and get the job done so the kids can play on it.

With 8x5 tandam trailers being so cheap they are in my price range so so getting a galvanized 8x5 tandem trailer for 2.5K with a 900ml stock crate with the gate I request or should or I just use my '95 hilux ute and make a stock cage.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Listo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Hard to tell mate, with the info given, I think that’s a question for you to answer yourself. I know the trailers you’re talking about, I’ve been looking at them myself.
My thoughts, if you’re making money with it for longer than just this job & consistently , I’d be getting one. If it’s erratic & paying for itself here and there, stick to what you own & make it earn your money for you.
It depends on your current situation is & what you want in the future imo.
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Well it has been been a great xmas and the time has been great as got a heap done on the farm and SWMBO is happy as Larry :scared-eek: . Been working on finishing her shed and tomorrow the wall goes up then prepare the area for concreting. Did the move for the water valve as it was about a metre into the new shed and bugger putting a pot hole in just to isolate the house water.

So gave the labor hire mobs a call today and the first one asked me if I could drive a skid steer. I said yes but don't ask me to do a final finish as I don't have that much experience. Got a call back when I was at the pump shop and after a chat where I'll be using a skid steer and a tipper down at Victor Harbour on a 2-3 month job. So the main question was what rate and $30 an hour with full penalties but could be more sounds ok to me.

So back to civil work for me as what I found in the last job working as a fitter/machinist/tig welder was one of the worst jobs I've had in recent times. Working at a place that has gone under every 5 years but the same crew is there so anyone new is treated like a non local and unless you kiss ass to the wankers they won't help you at all. I was actually told that to.

Where in working in civil it is a different world of work where if your bogged down on a task other worker will come and help.

Also working at Victor Harbour over the summer period does sound the go as it's 10-15 degrees cooler than working in town.

My main contact at Hays wants me to get back into the shutdown crew as he tells me the guys are asking for me to come back but bugger going for a drug test just to please the wankers aint for me.

So the new year looks like a good start when one works in the labor hire trade. Last year was the highest I've made in the last 8 years of working local too but the tax return sucked :handgestures-thumbdown: When I was doing shutdown pre 2010 my average tax return was 10K :happy-partydance:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RC Al » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Sounds great Bryan, Victor harbour is a lovely place, spent a few weeks in that area around a decade ago, probably not as sleepy as I remember it by now
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 am

Well back early last year the shutdowns were too far inbetween and I was up at Whyalla doing a job and got a call @ 6.30am saying they had some fillin work as a boilermaker. Well that 2 week fillin job ended being a fulltime job until today where I basically got shafted. With work choices MK.2 around the corner the company is purging fulltimers and my time came up yesterday.

I won't go into the gory details but simply say I stayed at that job for too long and I rang the laborhire mob this morning to let them know to put me back on the books and asked about that second intake for a minesite job I got but had to knock back as my wife broke her shoulder.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Good luck Bryan, something will come up mate your too inventive to be kept down long term mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Well had a chat with the mine manager for that job i went for a few months back and mentioned to him the reason I didn't take the job and he said mate go talk with Jo at Hays and I'll see you on site very soon. So a 2 and 1 roster to start then in a few months it will move to a 8 on 6 off roster and I will be having fun driving a dump truck around while the crushers are behaving themselves. The wage is close to double what I was getting too so that is a huge bonus and I do miss the mine site life.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:46 pm

If only I could predict the tattslotto numbers as easily as that was predicted Bryan.
Why the 8 6 roster, is that the only way you can time your ferments lol

Great Christmas present mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit