Looking for work

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Looking for work

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm

As my 9 year old son said, I’m gunna SEND IT!

Well, deliver it! I landed a gig as the local postie! On the bikes not the stupid electric things.

If I see any 5 star deliveries, I might leave a note.

Keep an extra eye out for your local postie and any motorcycle on the road. Help us keep safe.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:24 pm

Man i gotta say this new job is out there :laughing-rolling: as with every family company there are quirky, now which way the quirk goes can go two ways where one can be a bunch of anal bastards and the others just couldn't give a rats ass.

Well this one one is on the rats ass type where OHS is whats that we don't use that here to open insults are just part of the day :laughing-rolling: At first yea I was affronted then I though well if you want to give me shit have some back and yes I do give it in spades :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

At work I aint been on a lathe in more than a decade and now they are saying I'm a better machinist than a welder and I keep saying you can stick your welding where it fits as I'm a fabricator and I build stuff so a dumb ass welder can burn it in. I broke my 20 year old welding helmet after a dickhead kept turning the gas off on my welder and that guy got a good talking to and lost a heap of cread as I'm coming onboard. The only thing I didn't see was I had a magnifier in the helmet and the new helmet I bought with a bigger screen and all was a hard task to see what I was welding as the safety glass's I use just have those 1.5 lenses 10mm long so when one looks up it's a blurr.

So as this company doesn't use OHS I went back in for an eye test to get new glass's and from '16 my eyes are basically still the same long sited so no need to wear glass's but up close yea if I want to read. As Shiba cash is there $369 for a new pair with designer frames with that coating that dimes with the light. Only $220 for a second pair and that will be on the cards too.

I had a chat with the boss today about going fulltime so he asked what I was worth where I told him I was being under paid by the labour hire mob so I asked for $45 an hour fulltime and the answer back was yea thats a sound figure but a tad low so we will give you a good offer that you won't refuse.

Like I say guy's take a look at the website and we do make some interesting stuff well enough to keep me interested :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:36 pm

Bit of an update guy's earlier this week the 2nd in charge asks me what my future prospects are and if I was interested in going full time. He did ask what my labour hire rate so I told him where he said well we can match that but as the labour hire owns it will take 12 months or it will cost us thousands :scared-eek: so I duly rang my contact Becky who is the same gal i met all those years ago when she was a green young kid starting out. Earlier this I gave her a ring and I have working for them since. She asked how long I was here where i said close to 4 months so she said Bryan let me work my magic and if you want the fulltime job I'll get you there but it will be a sad day to know you're gone.

I have cemented myself as the machinist and they are blown away from the quality of the stuff I make :handgestures-thumbupleft: On Friday I was asked to bore out a coupling to 50.02mm which was a bit of fun as the lathe does machine a taper from small to big so i have to polish the bore to make it true. Now when I measured the shaft the coupling was going on it was all over the place suggesting the machinist that did the shaft was too scared to machine it so left it 0.1mm over size then file and emeryed it to get to the size and did a crap job. I did take my internal mic's into work and the bore i machined was within a 0.01 window. At lunch time I was told the pressure was off as the machine shop had over bored the other side of the coupling so I suggested to just buy a 1/2" keyway broach and I'll do the job next week and stop farming out work where the result is crap. Then we can build a stock of tools so we can do most jobs inhouse and get the result we need for the high quality stuff we make.

Now this work place can only be described as a zoo where a bunch of gibbons are screeching out all of the time :laughing-rolling: One guy just keeps going at me I just said to him in the female world there is always a Karen and mate the way you act YOU are the male version of a Karen :laughing-rolling: The guy got pretty peeved when the other guys started calling him Karen :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So with the great offer they will give me looks like I'm working in a zoo until I retire :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: and a 100K + a year will go down nice. Now as SA is a wage killer this family company looks after their workers so it does look like a good time doing what i love to earn a wage.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Congrats Bryan
Looks like you are at last getting what you deserve and karma is starting to square up the ledger
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Lowie » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:55 pm

Good company Blade. One of our customers... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 22, 2022 5:45 pm

Well got a text today saying Bryan you have a zoom meeting tomorrow and can you do it at home where I said better to do it in your office so if any questions arrive we can deal with them. From what I'm told this job involves taking rock samples and analyzing them then recording the results so hands off job.

The more I think about this it will be full on where I drive to the drill rig to get the samples then drive back to the mobile lab to process the cores. Now as my resume does show I'm a dual tradie that may go in my favour as things do break and need fixing.

MK2 have offered me this and said all expenses paid so don't worry about after expenses, for me a 58 young guy and after all life begins at 40 doesn't this job could seal my way to final retirement either way.

Working out in the bush is a hard life but I do love it and well if I die doing what what I love them it is mission accomplished

But 8 days away 4K for a 8-6 swing and it if I need to do a 2-1 swing 7K a swing all the better afterall I do have 2 women to cater for an my current job aint enough :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So going out bush is a great option I will love.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:31 pm

Well that job out in the bush didn't turn out as my labour hire company said no matter how many times we left a message they wouldn't get back to us.

anyway been chatting and got told there is plenty of work so in the morning I'm taking my ute down to work to tell them to shove the job where it fits, 3 weeks ago I said if things don't improve on the harassment front I'm gone and it's only gotten worse and I asked by the operations manager today if he was brainwashed by a bunch of dickheads :laughing-rolling: after he said to me he was I can't do anything without direction, Dave the foreman nearly fell over laughing then came up and patted me on the back saying it was about time it got some of your humor :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

so if your a tradie looking for work in Adelaide give Blade a miss as the place is just a zoo and OHS is just a word never spoken
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:09 am

Well took my ute down the hill this morning and at 6.30am walked in and told them I'm picking my box up and shove your job where it fits :laughing-rolling: While I was securing my toolbox the owner came out and asked why I was quitting where I told him 2 weeks ago I got a reaming from john for just doing my job and in that 2 weeks it just got worse and after yesterday that was it.

So no real rush to find more work as my payout of annual leave and a weeks wage will see us through but I'll bet MK2 will have me in work by Monday next week.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:56 pm

Well a bit of an update guy's, :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That work place decided to take a weeks annual leave off me with no notice :angry-banghead: SWMBO said they can't do that so she rang the Fair Work Ombudsman for some advise. They said we will send you an email with expamples but SWMBO with my help sent a ripper :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

The next an email came back saying they didn't want this going any further so they would pay me that 38 hours. Well the law states annual leave in a permanent job is untouchable and if any changes are made to it the worker has to agree.

So yes just got that 38 hours but not loading for the annual leave so Monday a call to the Fair Work Ombudsman is on to ask them to get not only my annual leave loading but as you told us penalties can apply to go ya hardest and make an example out of them.

Still deciding to call Safe Work SA to really stick it to them afterall don't piss off RuddyCrazy as he will go crazy destroying any reputation of a 2 bit company if they rip me off.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Anyway had a few weeks holiday and as MK2 were too thin on the ground for local work went to Hays after a 5 year hiatus and this morning went down for an interview at a fabrication mob. Told them straight out i wasn't a coded welder and I was a fabricator where I take a drawing get the steel then tack it all together then after getting it checked let the welders burn it in. Got a tour around the workshop and start in the morning :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:06 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well what a difference this job is :handgestures-thumbupleft: a 100% turn around to where I've been working before for many a year. Totally great place to work, got an EBA with the Fair Work Commission which aint 1/2 bad and a totally friendly atmosphere :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The foreman that gave me the job is retiring in 3 weeks and the new foreman went around to meet everyone and had a good chat with him.

Well if want to kill the pig just see how much I can earn in one week it would mean 4 12 hour days Monday to Thursday 10 hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday then the 13 day rule kicks into effect. So the day off has to be the following Sunday.

I will point out if there is any Adelaide boilermakers looking for work just PM me and I'll give the details on getting a job there.

Essentially my job is to fabricate the job and tack it together where it's checked for dimensions and recorded then it goes off to a a welder to burn it in.

I did find out this company is owned by the GFC alliance so the guy that owns the Whyalla Steelworks also owns this company. Now there are a heap of Philpeno's working there and another 12 have come over and will be starting next week, 6 for the Adelaide workshop and 6 for the Whyalla workshop.

So bang for buck I reckon I have found a place to work until I call it quits or my body tells me too :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Told SWMBO I'm going to do some big weeks so we can wipe off all those redraws we did and get rid of the mortgage for good :handgestures-thumbupleft: as I've said when we get the out goings less the than the incomings it will time for me to semi retire. :handgestures-thumbupleft: So that may mean well a few days of over time and a 5 day working week as when a bloke has the trade in him it aint ever going to leave :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:52 pm

Well did a 6 day week last week and wondered if I broke the 2K bring home mark. Well $ 91 short :angry-banghead: so tomorrow doing 10 hours and SWMBO has put down the rule I must have my Friday night on a Saturday night :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So working 10 hours tomorrow just to kill the pig and get over that 2K mark :scared-eek:

The retiring foreman ask me about flattening a railway iron to make an anvil so nest week I'm taking one of mine down to get pad welded so the the main table is 2" wider and a 1" thick after maching.

They said everyone needs to sign this workshop booklet and when I got mine instead of my name they spelt brain :scared-eek: So I put on that sticky note...

You had ONE Job
Wundey

Now the new guy is a kaffar and his name is Rudneyand whe I gave that sticky to John he just laughed and said consider mate it's sent :handgestures-thumbupleft: Noticed today Wundey didn't tlak to me and I'm not surprised as I said Hi heres Wundey rome wome :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

By the way the workshop was in fits and wiggles so the name has stuck :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:44 pm

Nice to see your making an impression brain, did you use to have a job with the thunder birds ??
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:49 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well I do have to say I'm happy with this job and the take home pay thats just shy of 2K a week :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now I get texts all the time for work from a few labourhire mobs and got one on Tuesday Mech Fitter $56.25 an hour at a saw mill in the Barossa so for a bit of fun I replied :laughing-rolling: as I have worked as a boily for the last few years and a hills change may be the go. Now for me the shortest way up there will be on dirt roads and a similar time frame to my current job with the added bonus of no traffic lights until close to work :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Anyway I did get a reply asking for a resume and that :laughing-rolling: was a bit of fun :laughing-rolling:

My resume was sitting on my linux box so rang SWMBO at smoko to get my resume off there and email it to me where it was a bit of fun learning on my new phone to edit the file then send it off. Did that and just hit saved where it saved the file as a .docx now got a reply back saying they couldn't open the file so I sent an email back saying well you should have mine on file so just give me a ring and we can update it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That was Wednesday and heard no more so thought well that was a bit of fun :laughing-rolling: Anyway as I'm up at 4.30AM for this job :angry-banghead: I'm in bed around 8.30PM when the phone beeped :scared-eek:

A email back saying from the short info you have provided the client wanted to see you :scared-eek: and could you put your resume in word format and that job that has been handed off to the girls to setup then I can update it and they can email it back to my phone so I can send it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Eh it will be nice to have a saw mill in my pocket :laughing-rolling: as when I do it running nice it does say Flexible hours so no 4.30AM starts and some days off so can get going on my pet project making Bogan Bars and put em on gumtree for 10K :laughing-rolling: as there are that many Bogans out there to serve for their man sheds :handgestures-thumbupleft: Laced with seasoned red gum from my red gum forest :laughing-rolling: and my wood working gear can finally come out after 20 years in storage :scared-eek:

The fun can really begin :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:18 pm

Saw mill in the Barossa hey Bryan, hope it's not the one in Nuri otherwise you'll have some real fun from what I've heard :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby Yonder » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:48 pm

Ruddy, damn me I do enjoy your trials and all manner of successes. Please keep it up! Even if I don’t understand half of what you say, its great fun catching up while I sip a bit. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As Oscar Wilde put it in 1887, “ We have really everything in common (with America) nowadays except, of course, language.” :laughing-rolling: :))
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:08 pm

G"day Guy's,
Well spent the last 4 months doing 6 day weeks and up at 4.30AM :scared-eek: for an hour down the hill for a 6AM start may finally be over and I'm waiting for confirmation on a Monday start driving a water truck :laughing-rolling: for more than I was getting as a tradie :scared-eek:

Just just say I'm sick of the thievapino's where the main theme at work is if it aint bolted down or locked up it walks :angry-banghead: Did the hard yards this week with 10 hour shifts and this morning treated like shit from the get go.

Brought home my tools so if another job turns up no need to drive back down the hill to get them :handgestures-thumbupleft:

All I need to do is check the box on the online timesheet saying I won't be working there next week :handgestures-thumbupleft:

gotta say I did come up with a good one for those Indian Enginears :laughing-rolling:

I just asked one if they sold cornflakes in India which contained a enginearing voucher that can be claimed in New Delhi for a job in Oz but as when cornflakes are left out for months they go off just like the enginears so a fresh batch is need for both. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:33 pm

Well the career change is on :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: start Monday driving a water truck down in Victor Harbour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Only problem I need my daughter to show me how to send a pic on this new phone I got that she wants :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:43 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well going down to a site to drive a water truck when the new sub division was flooded out due to rain :laughing-rolling: was 8 hours easy work, the next day down the hill putting up marquees for the Harvest festival then got a gig close to home :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Working on the old Murray bridge with a scaffy crew :laughing-rolling: it was a big rush to get the scaffold the deck and 4 metres up then when that was done was told thats it a 3 weeks before xmas :scared-eek: O'well one call got me on the Mannum job putting up the levy with the SES :handgestures-thumbupleft: then when they left we just did it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So a good 3 weeks for xmas :obscene-drinkingchug: and calls came in asking if I was starting on the 9th on the scaff crew and it has been a good week back :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Last year found out the heat rule 35C in aircon then wait for it to get to 37C then beers at the car park where it says no drinking :laughing-rolling: Yesterday was 2pm knockoff and as I got there a cold beer was waiting. The slab didn't last long :laughing-rolling: so a scaffy opened up his fridge in his live along merc bus :obscene-drinkingchug:

My job is gewtting the stuff to the scaffies so yes it is an airconned ute :laughing-rolling: so life aint that bad :laughing-rolling:

As I am getting fit again next week down to the oval to bowl a ball in a cricket net after a long enough brake from the game :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:05 pm

Well at 10 am this morning saw 35C so a 4 hour day it is, now for beers the guy's setup at the pool at the caravan park they are staying at. I came home and got changed then went back as home is only a 20 minute drive :handgestures-thumbupleft: where SWMBO said why didn't get petrol :angry-banghead: as we have no water :scared-eek: So I said turn the tap on where water came out so don't women thoughts tell me how to run the farm :laughing-rolling:
Got back there and the guy's were drinking bottles where the owner said no bottles and one did break on the cleanup :scared-eek:

So cans it was so as it was 39C in the shade 2 dips a beer was the go to cool of the body :handgestures-thumbupleft: now with every event I take my hip flask with my whisky and gotta say not much left in the hip jar. :laughing-rolling:

Went down to the bottlo to get 5 for $25 Cooper Pale Ale as the empties do go into my next homebrew beer. and met a local on the road and after a chat a visit is on the cards after my homebrew pale has had a chance to cool :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Saw some guy's were drinking Southern Comfort so went for a ADsearch which opened a new page and clicking on the link saw me logged out :angry-banghead: So is that a bug with the ADsearch ?

So for the cinnamon I do have my ciinamon spirit so I'll use that
Orange and lemon peel and say 3 plums from my tree
Soak in 2 year AG whisky stir each day or when I'm in the shed for 2 weeks
Then run it thru my 5 litre pot still rather than just strain and drink.

Leave it on oak for a few months then the taste test can start. :obscene-drinkingchug:

eh it might even start my still for this year :laughing-rolling:

ah the life of scaffie labourer :laughing-rolling: where the income is the same as if I was working down the hill with 2-3 hours travel time :angry-banghead:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit