Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby Stonemaker1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm

woodduck wrote:
Stonemaker1 wrote:Interesting, I just checked my cuts jars and have not lost anything to the angels... I collect in 300 ml lab beakers and there still all 300 ml after 3 days airing :think:
I am wondering because I cover them with tea towels and not coffee filters that may stop evaporation? Not good though as the whole purpose of airing is to loose the bad stuff I thought.

I think it depends on where they are mate. If they're in a hot shed the will evaporate more than in a nice cool room. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes they are in nice cool room, downstairs bathroom that I had renovated into an aging and storage room for many large Demi's. Are you still loosing the bad stuff if volume is not decreasing??
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

I think so. Best way to test is put a lid on one and give that a wiff compared to the ones you left open :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Stonemaker1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

woodduck wrote:I think so. Best way to test is put a lid on one and give that a wiff compared to the ones you left open :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks @woodduck will try that with next spirit run on weekend, I actually never took any notice before till Zac bought it to my attention with his post. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Here's a blooper from my easy flange video.

Not all easy flanges are easy, ok :laughing-rolling:

https://youtu.be/uJ91Y0jvns8
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am

So dunno what's happened but my element I have been using for years has decided to get hot and melt my power point so I'll be out of action for a while got to take it to the sparkies at work and c if it's the element or my power circuit in my home
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:58 pm

The elements can break down over time and short out the wire to the element can break down may be shorting out ready to blow probably time to replace.
wynnum1

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm

yeah already got two on order from fsd
CyBaThUg

Postby CyBaThUg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 pm

So a sparky tested my element and tested good so got a sparky to check the house turns out my main power is only 6mm cable and can't handle powering everything so need to upgrade it to 16mm cable which is the Australian standard or some rubbish man this is an expensive hobby
CyBaThUg

Postby EziTasting » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 am

CyBaThUg wrote:...man this is an expensive hobby

I’m thinking it’s an expensive house! And would be thanking God for the hobb because it helped you discover that your electric circuit is substandard and could have burned your whole house down... think of it as this hobby just saved your family....

Just my twist on your bad luck.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Nino » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 am

EziTasting wrote:
CyBaThUg wrote:...man this is an expensive hobby

I’m thinking it’s an expensive house! And would be thanking God for the hobb because it helped you discover that your electric circuit is substandard and could have burned your whole house down... think of it as this hobby just saved your family....

Just my twist on your bad luck.

:text-+1: :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:17 am

That's how I explained it to my wife lol
CyBaThUg

Postby EziTasting » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Hey-ho,
for those of you following some of my mashing troubles on the Whisky All Grain thread you will be pleased to know that tonight is the night that I aerated the troublesome wort,
all over the kitchen floor! :angry-banghead:

Fekken drill was set on high speed and turning everything UP, not down... and then, before I left the FV open too long I decided to pitch the yeast starter,
all over the stove... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Like seriously, why am I still doing this hobby? :shifty:

The beautifully bubbling starter kept bubbling on the stove (the stove wasn't turned on - apparently I did well in the "create a yeast starter" section of this whole process :clap: :dance: Yay...

So, somewhat emotional I opened the yeast satchel and spooned out some dry yeast, fluff-it! I'm done! ~x(
EziTasting

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 am

Look on the bright side that this is not you in the yesterdays news ":Worker suffers 'penetrating' groin injury at Gold Coast movie studios ... said the man had to be cut free from a power tool, described as a drill"
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

Ooooooooooooooooo :text-imwithstupid:
EziTasting

Postby Lowie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 am

CyBaThUg wrote:So a sparky tested my element and tested good so got a sparky to check the house turns out my main power is only 6mm cable and can't handle powering everything so need to upgrade it to 16mm cable which is the Australian standard or some rubbish man this is an expensive hobby

The problem is not your house wiring mate. That's standard for 10A. Your problem is the amount of power you are trying to drag out of a standard 10A socket (maximum draw on a 10A circuit is 2400w). You might think you're only running a 2400w element so why is it tripping? That because you're most likely running a bunch of other shit off the same circuit (beer fridge, kettle, toaster, etc, etc.) and you're maxing it out. Safest thing for you to do (and what I have done) is run a separate 15A circuit (with a safety switch built in) from your meter box to your shed with the bigger cable. And yes, it is expensive to get up and running safely, but once you're there you will reap the benefits! :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Had my mains upgraded today to Australian standards so hopefully no more issues. Lowie my power points were melting due to having 6mm mains not 16mm my elements run on designated circuits both 15 amp. How it was explained to me was the power needed was too big to travel in the small wire so to get that power it speeds up the current making everything really hot melting the points
CyBaThUg

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:47 pm

My elements burnt the socket but that alerted me to the issue I then checked the dryer plug melted same with the fridge and those ambi pure smelly things
CyBaThUg

Postby Huntsman96 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Got the bubbler finished after a week of working on it 8 hours a day (a week of holidays after uni before getting back to work full time) put it all together and started the vinegar run. Thinking its going fine then steam starts pissing out of every triclamp union and I start freaking out. I raged out for about 15 minutes, turned off the still and called it a day. Went back the next day thought hey why not tighten the clamps and try again. Not a single damn leak. My advice; tighten the fucken clamps before losing your shit ~x(
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby Sam. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm

:laughing-rolling: Nice one huntsman :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:11 pm

We need photos of this finished still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit