Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby Plumby » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 am

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 am

I still don't think you will ever top "the shortcut" :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Sam. wrote:I still don't think you will ever top "the shortcut" :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
shortcut wrote:Last night while running the still, I was busting for a shit.
Instead of turning her off and going up to the house I decided to snap one off into an empty beer carton.
I dumped about 300mm of fore’s on it and set it alight to get rid of the evidence.
The smell of the smoke was atrocious it filled up the whole carpark area,the shed and apparently it could be smelled up at the house. The missus had to shut all the windows.
All the ash has blown away, now I have a burnt patch of grass with a fossilised nard.

You mean this one? :laughing-rolling:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah that one :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Listo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:56 am

I needed 3 more jars for oaking, so headed into town to see what I could get.
Only 2 shops had 3l jars, both with the clip type lid. At one shop they were flash Italian made ones for $20 each, the other, the reject shop, $8... with me being such a tight wad, I went the cheaper option.
I opened one last night to drink & was greeted with a mixed smell of bourbon & a condensed rubber balloon type smell. After mixing a drink, yep, that rubber taste had gone right through it :angry-banghead:
The missus soaked the jar over night for herself to use, but it still stinks. Turns out it doesn’t pay to scrimp on your jars.
I just hope it’s just a one off & hasn’t happened to all 3. It’s hard to see 2 litres wasted without saying goodbye to 6 :pray:
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby j0sh2008 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 am

Listo wrote:I needed 3 more jars for oaking, so headed into town to see what I could get.
Only 2 shops had 3l jars, both with the clip type lid. At one shop they were flash Italian made ones for $20 each, the other, the reject shop, $8... with me being such a tight wad, I went the cheaper option.
I opened one last night to drink & was greeted with a mixed smell of bourbon & a condensed rubber balloon type smell. After mixing a drink, yep, that rubber taste had gone right through it :angry-banghead:
The missus soaked the jar over night for herself to use, but it still stinks. Turns out it doesn’t pay to scrimp on your jars.
I just hope it’s just a one off & hasn’t happened to all 3. It’s hard to see 2 litres wasted without saying goodbye to 6 :pray:

Was the rubber seal at the top or that plastic lid still on when you put it on oak?

I’ve used cheap bottles from the reject stop but never had any problems.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby Listo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:31 am

It’s just the rubber ring around the outside to make the seal. I’ve had a smell of the other 2 in the shed & they smell fine, so I’ll taste test one this arvo. The other one’s pretty rank though, the missus reckoned the whole kitchen stunk this morning
Listo
Site Donor

Postby j0sh2008 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am

Last time I bought some. I just took off the rubber and put a paper towel over it to seal it.

I also noticed the lids sometimes are made of plastic, so I don’t use any lid.
j0sh2008

Postby Plumby » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 pm

j0sh2008 wrote:Last time I bought some. I just took off the rubber and put a paper towel over it to seal it.

I also noticed the lids sometimes are made of plastic, so I don’t use any lid.

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 pm

A coffee filter and a rubber band does the job for me, if i want them a bit better sealed than that i just use some foil straight on top... not completely airtight, but I've not had any probs so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Listo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 pm

So not fully sealed is ok for a few months oaking?

I’m having a drink of the next one now & it’s not bad, it must’ve been a dodgy jar.
Funny thing with this one, it’s a second generation wbabb but it’s nowh near as grainy tasting as the first generation. The first wash was a year old, smelled amazing when opening the fermenter & smelled like a cake shop when running through the still. Second generation was nearly a month old, smelled winey when opening & like a regular still when running. Is that a generation thing, or just the ridiculous time the first lot spent in the fermenters?
Listo
Site Donor

Postby j0sh2008 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Listo wrote:So not fully sealed is ok for a few months oaking?

I’m having a drink of the next one now & it’s not bad, it must’ve been a dodgy jar.
Funny thing with this one, it’s a second generation wbabb but it’s nowh near as grainy tasting as the first generation. The first wash was a year old, smelled amazing when opening the fermenter & smelled like a cake shop when running through the still. Second generation was nearly a month old, smelled winey when opening & like a regular still when running. Is that a generation thing, or just the ridiculous time the first lot spent in the fermenters?

You always lose a bit to the angels, but i never have my jars sealed. I like letting them air when they age gives it a better taste, ive left jars open for 12+ months and never had any problems.

Generations always have more flavours i have found :handgestures-thumbupleft:
j0sh2008

Postby dans.brew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 pm

You may loose a little... depends on climate and where you store them to some degree.
I have mine in a big cupboard that is in a part of the house that keeps fairly cool... closest thing ive got to a celar. I leave the foil off quite a bit from time to time and ive never lost too much.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby fizzix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 am

NEAR f^ck up:
Stilling done, I started pouring the hot backset into the cold toilet --and I suddenly realized what I was doing and quit.
For a minute I was waiting for a thermal C R A C K ! but it never came. Whew!

Don't do that.
fizzix

equipment: 8-gallon stainless 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing.

Postby RC Al » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:17 am

So I think I should turf this lot of TPW.....
Cute little fella's but not sure I wanna drink em....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby j0sh2008 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:29 am

RC Al wrote:So I think I should turf this lot of TPW.....

I have had worse and still ran it. I forgot about a wash for about 6 months :angry-banghead:

Still came out fine. Just run it and if its that bad, throw it out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
j0sh2008

Postby shortcut » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 pm

RC Al wrote:So I think I should turf this lot of TPW.....

Bit hard to tell from the pic, have you got dead critters in your wash? If it’s just a few bugs I’d run it.
If it’s tadpoles though, that’s a different story. That means frogs have been rooting in it. Tip it out, you’ll never get the frog stink out no matter how much you filter it.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby RC Al » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 pm

It was little white fungi balls
Ran a fine mesh filter from a ikea funnel around the top, stripping it now, seems fine, the DP in the middle was pretty smooth, so I'll call this lot good

Only critters I get in my washes currently are the odd silverfish - even though and fores filled airlock, they float and easily fixed
Last edited by RC Al on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 pm

I thought early lacto :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Mine was near miss, freakin out for 10 days almost dumping all my stock due to strange car(yes you know what sort of car) in my street with a camera at all times of day and night. Turns out they were serving an eviction warrant on one of my neighbours, woke this morning to two marked cars and half dozen cars and trailers that proceeded to empty a house in a bit over an hour, :D nearly lost a year of work :scared-eek:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit