Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

When I got my new 16hp listeriod diesel I took most of it apart to check for casting sand as one can never trust an Indian :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: took apart the governor housing and when I put it back on seems it wasn't quite right as it tends to stick. so when firing up the engine loaded or unloaded it stays around 750 rpm for a few minutes then rockets upto over 1000 rpm :angry-banghead:

So got an original lister spring in the mail today so had to try it out to see if that was the issue but nope :angry-banghead: it it still runs away and putting the rpm guage on 1200 rpm :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: before I shut it down. Now the fun part will be getting out the jib key I hand filed to be a neat fit and bashed in with a 4lb hammer and brass wedge. I gotta get the 24" flywheel off to get to the governor housing which now mean taking the engine off it's base so I can do the job.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby AussieAndy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

Question is did you find any sand?????
AussieAndy

equipment: 2" pot still done....... What next??

Postby Plumby » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I filled my boiler up with ujsm low wines and topped it up with some leftover wash that was in my 220 litre fermenter. Added sugar and warm water to fermenter and mixed for 10 minutes to dissolve the sugar and mix up the grain bed. Topped up to 200 litres put lid on grabbed a beer and sat down to admire my handy work, spotted the 30 litres of backset and leftover bag of cracked corn that I was suppose to add to fermenter :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Put a cider on last weekend and used the bethemoth to cool down the cider, turned everything off when the temp gauge said 27 degrees so threw in the yeast and gave it a good stir. Noticed the temp sticker didn't have any numbers showing so stuck my digital temp in and 35 degrees :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: . Thought well I'll leave it and it was bubbling away slowly so today cracked it open and did an SG test, still 1060 :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: .

Anyway had a satchel of SN9 cider yeast handy so threw that in and gave it a good stir, bubbling away nicely now so hopefully it will ferment out in the next week.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Still got one more CFW run to go on the current batch so been busy finishing the new 4" blockhead I'm going to use for my carterhead. Anyway went to put the new 3" bend onto the blockhead and found the thread was stripped on the 3" triclamp :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: O'well had to pinch one off the old 3" blockhead and got the still all setup for a run this weekend. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:36 am

I've been trying to install a weldless drain port on my boiler. I've learnt the hard way not to use tapered thread when I really needed parallel thread. Looks like I'll be getting it welded after all.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby RC Al » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:21 am

DB. can you go a size up and then a reducer ??
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:32 am

No it's the fact that the male thread is tapered and the female thread is parallel. I could get male parallel thread but I'd have to order it in. Just less stuffing around to get it welded. Be nice if I could do it myself.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby scythe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 pm

They should screw together (bspp and bspt).
Or is it that it does not screw together tight enough?
Its fairly hard to source bspt nuts, i would even go as far as to say they don't make them commercially.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Put my blockhead branch to close to top of the deflag blockhead section :angry-banghead: bit of love on the clamp with a flap disc and it fits. Dam that was nearly a major stuff up...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm

scythe wrote:They should screw together (bspp and bspt).
Or is it that it does not screw together tight enough?
Its fairly hard to source bspt nuts, i would even go as far as to say they don't make them commercially.

You're right, they do screw together but then stop. I was hoping they would keep on screwing for how I wanted to use them. Shows my lack of understanding.
db1979

Postby Sam. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 am

The poor man buys twice

:O)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fishleg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 am

Found a full size wine barrel on gumtree yesterday for $100. Was gonna chop up half into dominoes and the other half becomes a planter. Paid the money, just as I'm about to leave the driveway the bloke says "just give it another coat of varnish it will come up sweet, I usually do it 1-2 times a year" :angry-banghead:

Guess I've got 2 planters now
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby db1979 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:00 am

Sam. wrote:The poor man buys twice

:O)

Haha, true. But I've now found a cheap solution
db1979

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Trying to bend old copper pipe in a hydraulic pipe bender didn’t go to plan. Old Colin did warn me before he started that his success rate bending copper was not good but he was more than happy to give it a go.

We annealed 1/2 the pipe, then filled with sand packed tight & capped the end. First attempt, pipe tore perfectly straight as if it was cut with a hacksaw. Ah, we thought, no lube. Cut the end off packed with sand again & capped, go again, same result. So we emptied the sand, go again same result. Tried the outer end, same same again.

At this point Old Colin said it may not work, he thinks it may have something to do with the age of pipe. Ah well, no lovely sweeping bend on my build, plan B, off to fleece for a 2” 90. Funny thing though, all the bits left over, are all near enough the right lengths for all the little bits and pieces I need, so basically no wastage.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:53 pm

A&O wrote:Trying to bend old copper pipe in a hydraulic pipe bender didn’t go to plan. Old Colin did warn me before he started that his success rate bending copper was not good but he was more than happy to give it a go.

We annealed 1/2 the pipe, then filled with sand packed tight & capped the end. First attempt, pipe tore perfectly straight as if it was cut with a hacksaw. Ah, we thought, no lube. Cut the end off packed with sand again & capped, go again, same result. So we emptied the sand, go again same result. Tried the outer end, same same again.

At this point Old Colin said it may not work, he thinks it may have something to do with the age of pipe. Ah well, no lovely sweeping bend on my build, plan B, off to fleece for a 2” 90. Funny thing though, all the bits left over, are all near enough the right lengths for all the little bits and pieces I need, so basically no wastage.

Sorry ta hear it did not work out ,but points ta those who give it a good crack,two 45'degree 2inch bends would work too giveing a bigger radius with short piece's of 2inch pipe inbetween.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby scythe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:35 pm

For some reason i think you need to have the pipe hot for it to bend.
How tight of a radius were you trying to make?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby A&O » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm

We were using the biggest dies the had for 2” which would have given a 18” full circle diameter. But each bend, at 7-10 degrees the pipe would tear. It’s all good, no wastage really as I’m still using all the little bits. It was worth a try. Oh, we didn’t have use heat as we run out of lpg annealing one end. Great way to remove paint and crud off the pipe.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby db1979 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm

A&O wrote:Great way to remove paint and crud off the pipe.

True that.
db1979

Postby Flowerpot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Found a great way to clean my shed floor tonight. It has come up sparkly clean!!!

Simply pour 25l of low wines into your boiler with the drain valve open. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit