Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 pm

howard wrote:i bought 3 x 30l MJ fermenters at the same time from the same shop.
i figured that i could just fit all 3 in the 'hot-fridge' if i used grommits, tubing and plastic bottle bubblers instead of the usual airlocks.
i checked the bung hole on the 1st fermenter, it was threaded but required drilling out if a tap was needed.
no worries, i was planning on racking off with a syphon anyway.
i'm in the kitchen, done the first 2 FFV's, now doing the 3rd FFV, sugar in the fermenter, pouring boiling water in to dissolve etc.
for some reason, the 3rd fermenter had the bung drilled out, with no bung.
didn't really realise what a sticky mess you get with partially dissolved sugar solution.
luckily, :roll: i had already removed the rug by the kitchen sink (due to a previous experience with an open fermenter tap).
i nearly got away with it, but SWMBO noticed that all the supply of kitchen roll was gone and the kitchen floor was way too clean.
but that's what an hour of mopping does.

What you need to do is have the house fully clean one day and see what happens.
wynnum1

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:02 pm

My first 2 marriages, hopefully number 3 is the tight choice.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:54 pm

Daily SG measurements on fermenters. Smashed my last hydrometer... :angry-banghead:

Order placed with 5 Star for a couple of replacements and some spare alcometers for good measure (see what I did there)
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 pm

I’ll get them in the post on Monday .
With any luck they’ll arrive just in time for Christmas :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Andrew wrote:I’ll get them in the post on Monday .
With any luck they’ll arrive just in time for Christmas :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Andrew :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Until then I'll go with the old "toss some wash in the air". Once that shit stops sticking to the ceiling, it's done. :)) :mrgreen:
Tesla101

Postby The Stig » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm

I just stick a finger in and taste it, been doing that’s since the 80’s :dance:
Last edited by The Stig on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Oh, forgot to post that the meters got here safe n sound. Thanks for the sugar hit too Andrew :)

Soooo, was bottling the latest batch of gin tonight and had to toss about half a litre of bloody good gin out :angry-banghead:

Like most folks I re-use bottles, some of them dark green wine bottles. I also like to air them out with the lids off, just to get rid of any unwanted smells of what used to be in there.

Was pouring from the demi to the first bottle when I noticed something in the bottle that wasn't gin. Closer inspection found a dirty big cockroach swimming around. :o

I just couldn't bear the thought of drinking something (or worse, my friends) that had a cockroach in it, so into the junk bucket it went.

Lucky I have enough to spare. Poor little bugger.
Tesla101

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 am

Don’t stress mate I bet the last thought he had was “omg so this is what heaven is like” :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:42 am

Tesla101 wrote:Oh, forgot to post that the meters got here safe n sound. Thanks for the sugar hit too Andrew :)

Soooo, was bottling the latest batch of gin tonight and had to toss about half a litre of bloody good gin out :angry-banghead:

Like most folks I re-use bottles, some of them dark green wine bottles. I also like to air them out with the lids off, just to get rid of any unwanted smells of what used to be in there.

Was pouring from the demi to the first bottle when I noticed something in the bottle that wasn't gin. Closer inspection found a dirty big cockroach swimming around. :o

I just couldn't bear the thought of drinking something (or worse, my friends) that had a cockroach in it, so into the junk bucket it went.

Lucky I have enough to spare. Poor little bugger.

Cockroach never killed anyone.
There are cockroaches in your chocolate.
The label on your chocolate bar is missing a key ingredient — cockroaches! That’s right, there are typically about 8 insect pieces inside every chocolate bar. According to FDA guidelines, this is a safe amount, and the only way to combat the problem is to add more pesticides, which would be worse than eating cockroaches. At least you’re incorporating protein into your diet!
wynnum1

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:49 am

About 20 years ago i was doing a netural run on my 50L gas driven keg. Minding my own business a neighbour called in. Yes we started drinking a batch of port i made, it was so good so we drank the lot, well didnt things heat up when i went to change the 3 litre collection glass jar of 95% neutral......... :oops: yes i dropped it next to the gas burner....smash...! Flames and glass everywhere, bare feet, two pissed blokes with no fire extinguishers AARRHHH. We completly shit our selves. Fire went out eventually, no body hurt.
I was pissed off with loosing 3 litres of neutral and my mate was worried about how we were going to explain to my misses that her brand new simspon top loader wash machine had no paint left on the front as it melted off in the inferno. Washer was right next to the burner......a :oops: .another mistake.

Big fuck up! Especially when she found out, a storey for another day. My spray job on the machine didnt cut it either.
So now....electric elements, fire extinguisher and abit more wisdom, my distilling is safe. Oh and ive banned drinking port while distilling.
Heisenberg

equipment: SS 4 inch visualizer MK2/ neutralizer, copper coil packing, 5 bubble plater on 50 litre keg, twin 2400watt elements with voltage controller.
Older rigs....
1.5m, 2inch copper reflux still on 50 litre boiler.
Copper Turbo 500
Copper Anabolic dome still.
50 Litre Stainless conical fernenters
60 litre med charred american oak barrel.

Postby EziTasting » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:13 pm

:angry-banghead:
After working overtime for 4 weeks in order to have 2 weeks off,
I completely neglected my pool... to find out today that it’s turned into a duck pond! :obscene-hanged:

So spent the afternoon, not in my shed prepping for the Oats experiment, but in the pool, scrubbing walls and floors, mixing chemicals, disassembling the chlorinated for a clean out...

Tomorrow will be day 2 of pool cleaning so that I can hopefully run my Angels Yeast experiment!

After several hours and a number of ‘Hi-5’ up the side of my own face... it’s now time for a dram!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 am

I was always lazy with my salt pool.
Found it easier to sell the house and avoid all that hassle in the end, only really warm enough to use it for 7 days a year where I am.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:30 am

scythe wrote:I was always lazy with my salt pool.
Found it easier to sell the house and avoid all that hassle in the end, only really warm enough to use it for 7 days a year where I am.

We’re the opposite... probably only 2 months where you wouldn’t use it... but, being an above ground pool it heats up and cools down quickly....
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:02 am

scythe wrote:I was always lazy with my salt pool.

I agree, I will never own a pool again
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Amberale » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 am

The Stig wrote:I just stick a finger in and taste it, been doing that’s since the 80’s :dance:

Are you referring to Tesla’s cracking glass problem or Licker’s “Tight” wife?
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Wellsy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 am

Pmsl
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit