Blue Booze...WHY?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Blue Booze...WHY?

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 pm

What wash was it?

Did you check the PH of the wash to know it was alkaline?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Petulance » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 pm

It was a TPW wash. It stalled rather quickly, and a pH paper reading had it at very acidic. I wacked in a few heaped tablespoons of calcium carbonate to lower the pH. Looks like I may have overdone that just a smidge.

As I've reported somewhere else on the forum, my tank water has a pH of 1.00 (well not quite, but I'm given to a small level of bullshit) ... anyway it's quite acidic and I don't respond well to unexpected challenges, so I tend to react (or overreact ... according to the wife) without applying the appropriate amount of thought.

The voices in my head are saying "Don't worry about thinking the problem thought ... just react ... react ... react". Those voices get really loud after several glasses of product.

Hence the blue downcomer.

What's that? Kill them all? Well, if you insist .....
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 pm

Well that makes absolutely no sense but thank you anyway :shifty:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:40 am

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourcei ... =verdigris

Could it be verdigris washing off your copper when running a wash?
If so I reckon the way you clean and store your still between washes could be the culprit.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Geoffb » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi
I have just noticed the blue tinge in my tails and was quite concerned about it.
Actually in the glass it looked like small clouds of white but when I pored the spirit in to another container through a filter the filter turned a light shade of blue.
The spirit now looks clear, I will run it through another batch and see what happens.

I thank you for the posts as I was not sure what was happening, I had not used my still for a long while due to moving and am only just returning to Hobby.

Cheers
Geoff
Geoffb

equipment: started with a 5ltr Still spirits super reflux still
up graded to the 25 liter boiler
now have a 60 liter Digiboil boiler with the Pot still head which the t 500 uses.

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit