Home Brew Shops a great source of information.

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Home Brew Shops a great source of information.

Postby jamjar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:59 pm

I went in today to pick up some airlocks today, while there he told me 2 important facts about distilling to save my health.

- (1) Everything distilled must be run though reflux carbon no matter what type or size of still I use….. otherwise the poisons in it will build up in my liver and kill me.
- (2) That you cannot use Australian copper to make a still with , the quality is so poor and it is filled with impurities, he told me that even the Bundy distillery would not use Australian copper and imported it all from overseas.

:angry-banghead:

Jamjar
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Re: Home Brew Shops a great source of information.

Postby maheel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm

did you ask him what you do if your airlocks wont bubble ?

maybe you should have punched him in the face ?
maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:05 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I'm sorry :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I would have been pissing myself laughing,then I would have punched him in the head :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
PS Did you get the airlocks???
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby R-sole » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 am

BTW, you don't need airlocks either :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

In fact there's nothing you need in that store once you have hydrometers.

ClingwrapWillDoJustFinePunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bundy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am

jamjar was it the short fat guy. if it was he doesn't know shit from clay.he has never distilled in is life.he went broke in the shop over your way and will tell you any thing to make a sale before he goes broke in town.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby jamjar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am

Yep that is the guy -
He tried stiching me up the other day with a faulty demijohnthat was not molded correctly, I picked one up off the shelf and he said hey I will get you one from out the back in a box, when it comes out it is just in an old wine box. I take it home and the top keeps unsealing. I take it back and he gets another one from out the back and says see they are all the same, I go grab one from the shelf and say no they are not this one works. Damm conartist.

Only wanted the airlocks because I am thinking of raking some of my TPW into 44's for storage and to let them clear more.

The last lot of neutral I made has a faint aftertaste so I had to reflux it a second time, I thought it might have been because I stripped the wash too fast and burnt the wash with too much heat making the low wines.

Can you strip too fast??? :?: :?:

I was getting 10-12l an hour out of a 2" pot still with a 3m coiled liebig that I made while waiting for anotherone, the out coming temp was 27C which I did not think was too bad seeing how much heat i was putting on the keg but maybe that burned the wash
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby SBB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am

jamjar wrote:I was getting 10-12l an hour out of a 2" pot still

You must have had some serious heat under that thing to get that sort of output. Just guessing but Id say with that much heat it would be a possibility that small amounts of residue in the wash could burn or stick to the bottom of the boiler.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to The Dunder Pit