Fast Oaking

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Fast Oaking

Postby crow » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:50 pm

plenty do but I wouldn't, I drank a bottle of scotch yrs ago that had been aged for 15 yrs and had been bottled for over 60 yrs. It tasted like scotch that had been aged for 15 yrs. I do not subscribe to any theory that you can age in an impervious vessel no way no how never will happen. . What might happen is some unwanted compounds may gas out :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:06 pm

When I 'age' in glass jars, crow, the jars aren't sealed so the angels can take their share... Obviously it's not exactly the same as in a barrel but it's a start.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm

crow wrote:plenty do but I wouldn't, I drank a bottle of scotch yrs ago that had been aged for 15 yrs and had been bottled for over 60 yrs. It tasted like scotch that had been aged for 15 yrs. I do not subscribe to any theory that you can age in an impervious vessel no way no how never will happen. . What might happen is some unwanted compounds may gas out :-B

So you would disagree with the below comment crow? I have had booze improve whilst sealed in glass. But maybe because it was raw when it went in.

Maybe after 15 yrs on oak all that could happen to the spirit (as far as natural aging) has taken place? :think:
Brendan wrote:
It's a well documented and proven fact...chemical reactions occur altering the molecular structure of ethanol over time. Regardless of oak, ageing is ageing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:05 pm

When I used to use HBS oak chips/chunks I found the bourbon oak chunks gave superior results better than the oak chips.
I seriously recommended using oak dominoes/mini staves like the ones from the recent group buy instead of the HBS oak chips/chunks.
As far as heating to speed up aging i have experimented with putting a sealed bottle in the dishwasher for a few cycles with the rest of the dishes, it seemed to help the aging process.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Marbled » Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 am

I've tried putting a variety of spirits, oaked and otherwise flavoured in my dishwasher too. I've had a variety of reactions. The most common one being the rum, in larger volumes it seems to send her to sleep pretty quickly.
I would post a photograph, but I still value my knackers.

:laughing-rolling:
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby Chips Molasses » Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 am

^^ living dangerously Marbled.

I have only used the HBS Kentucky bourbon, and French oak chips until recently. The Kentucky bourbon chips gave colour and flavour much faster.

I was lucky to be given some oak dominoes the other day, they are a cut above the HBS stuff. I have also orderd a little air pump so I can aerate after talking with the doctor.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby flamehawk » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

God! blast from the past reading my posts here. The distilling police should have confiscated my still.

Anyway, at least things have improved significantly and it nothing to be creating a $60 wash these days.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging