Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Stuff Ups & Embarrasing Moments

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 am

While running my old faithful bubbler yesterday I noticed a water leak on the outside of my dephlegmater, I thought ok no worries so I turned it off and pulled the still off the keg.... this should only take a minute to fix :ugeek:

So I've grabbed the oxy and brazing rod and got the sucker glowing, dabbed the rod on it and sealed it up..... Beautiful!!! :mrgreen:

Put everything back together, connect hoses and turn pump on to hear drip drip drip in my keg ?? WTF??? so put my ear to the keg and could hear water gushing through the column :evil: :evil:

In my great wisdom for a 5 minute fix I fucken melted the soft solder holding the inner tube of my dephlegmater, the inner tube is now rattling around in the column :oops: :cry: :cry: :oops: and the worst part is that it's not going to be able to be fixed so I now am going to cut it up for parts :shock: :o :shock:

So now I'm left with the decision.. do I cut my VM column to make a new bubbler?

What a fucken nightmare :lol: :oops: :oops: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Stuff Ups & Embarrasing Moments

Postby rumby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:07 am

Was taking the spear out of a keg the other day, for the first time, remembering to release the gas. I knew to keep my head away from the top, not to get covered in beer, didnt move my head far enough away, high pressure beer spray, straight inot my eyes. The keg still about a litre left in, so it went everywhere, all over the floor, up into the floor boards. Wanker.

Anyway, back to get the rest of the pressure out again, bang straight in the eyes again, had my head straight over the top again, I was dripping in old stinky commerial beer (wouldnt of minded if it was my home brew) This time I just let all the beer come out.

Bitten once, this wanker wasnt shy twice.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 pm

:lol: I think ya supposed to tip them on their side Rumby. ;) ;)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby rumby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 pm

I took my shirt off & through it on top & dragged it outside, the beer smell hid the mollasses smell.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby SBB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Todays F#@! up.
Sons Mrs likes Citrus Vodka.......made up 2.25L in a 5 Liter demijohn..... Remains of Neutral used sitting next to it in another 5 L demijohn. Mrs wants Hazelnut Liquour made at the same time.....more neutral and another HBS additive, Next step label the Citrus Vodka and put it away till Son turns up. Move onto making Hazelnut Liquour for Mrs.
Taste Hazelnut Liquour.... mmmmmmm not bad but whats that funny citrus aftertaste. Labled the wrong bloody bottle "citrus vodka" didnt I :cry: All is not lost A hazelnut thing with a tang :roll:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Sitting here doing admin shit drinking a rum n coke or 4.

Got a can of coke here I been sippin on and thinking "what's fucken wrong with my rum" :?

Well to my horror I realise I've just drank half a can of coke and forgot to tip some rum in it..... fucken idiot!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 pm

so just top it up now, you got some catching up to do :mrgreen:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Oh dont worry mate, I caught up in no time :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm

who needs a liver, not me :oops:
QLD.Andy

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Once my kidneys are fixed I'll worry bout my liver :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Jimmy1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Just doing my first stripping run with my new 2" pot still, got two drops of foreshots out and it all stopped.... No friggen gas so here I am carrying a 45kg gas bottle into the shed, in the rain, whilst wearing Japanese riding boots in the bloody dark. :oops: :oops: :oops: all sorted now lol :lol: :lol:
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby jeracoo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Got a new barrel for my wash but didn't check to see if it was sealed properly, damn thing had a small hole in near on the bottom edges lost it all :(.
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Site donors will notice my latest fuck up :angry-banghead: :crying-green: :angry-banghead:

Sorry guys but you'll need to upload your avatars again, I tried to upload an icon to your user group and it deleted your avatars.

I apologise for the inconvenience. :oops: :oops: :oops:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

McStill wrote:Site donors will notice my latest fuck up :angry-banghead: :crying-green: :angry-banghead:

:laughing-rolling: :crazy: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bundy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 am

shit happens :angry-cussing:
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby R-sole » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 am

Mines ok?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:59 am

Yeah 5Star yours wasnt affected because your default user group is moderator, it only happened to those who's names are blue :shifty:

It's all The Stigs fault :liar:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 am

Oh no you dont, you just had a :text-blondmoment:
Nothing to do with me
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 am

I fixed mine, got little Andy back
QLD.Andy

Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby R-sole » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:05 am

Just made a logistical nightmare for myself. :crying-green:

In an effort to get ahead in the beer dept i tried a new strategy. there's a Belgium beer variety called 'Saison'. It's a particular beer yeast that loves 30 C temps and so is perfect for ticking away out in the shed for the three or four weeks it takes to ferment.

Great, says i, I can have two ferments, one in the house in the airconditioning, and one ticking away in the shed all summer, with two kegs worth in each. Should be able to use the extra 2 kegs a month to keep up with my beer habit and skip a w'end brewing now and then.

So i started brewing quadruple batches, 2 x kegs woth in the house and 2 x kegs worth in the shed. house one with ale yeast finnished 3 weeks ago.

Meanwhile i have the idea that if i can do a 4 keg batch just as easy as a 2 keg batch all i need is a bigger fermenter in the house :idea: :idea:

So, i have kegged 4 kegs last week, already had 3 kegs in the keg fridge, put another 4 keg batch down in the house (ready next week), and kegged two kegs this morning while the next saison was brewing ready to pitch on the lees of the last one. 8-)

Went to unwrap the blankets after kegging so i could get ready to pour the new bee on top and there was every sign of a white cobweb mold developing on the sides of the drum.... :angry-banghead: :evil:

Which means that i need to ferment the saison i've just brewed in the shed with ale yeast, no doubt the temps will spike to 34 from today on and be 38 in the shed :twisted: + it will be ready in a week and a half instead of a month :?

I better get drinking, i have two empty kegs and i need 6 next week. :o
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit