Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm

So my brother brought round a sixer of Bundy red cans today to have a drink for my birthday...first time I have had a Bundy red in over a year I reckon. Holy crap what a disgusting pile of gross horse piss. Never again will I drink that poison.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby bt1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Love to hear it...your palate has got a sense of taste.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh hell thats right theres a bottle of rum down in the shed BRB and many cheers Mac ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm

crow wrote:Oh hell thats right theres a bottle of rum down in the shed BRB and many cheers Mac ;-)

Enjoy mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your gunna need a bubbler to make stuff as good as that though :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

jeez no wonder ya can't handle bundy any more pretty darn fine had to decant it in to a pusser's bottle though that snow bear staring at me was putting me off :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

kinda fucks with ya brain hey, pouring a rum like that from a bundy bottle :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Not anymore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Rum Chat

Postby unsub » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 am

Has anyone tried this yeast? http://stillspirits.com/nz/distillers-y ... yeast.html

Looks interesting, I'm getting some tomorrow and going to put on a wash to test it out to see how it compares to bakers yeast. Even better if I can get some generations going with it.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

I havent tried it mate, let us know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Will white sugar instead of raw bring the sweetness down a bit, its starting to taste to sweet for my liking, plus I'm sweet enough already ;-). . I don't want to reduce molasses cause thats where most of the flavor would be coming from wouldn't it? .
googe

Rum

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm

unsub wrote:Has anyone tried this yeast? http://stillspirits.com/nz/distillers-y ... yeast.html

I have used the SS rum distillers yeast in a couple of molasses washes & it performed well. Vigorous & reasonably fast ferment & good yield. Didn't notice any off taste (it is a turbo style) & from memory I was pushing the 15% mark.
If you want to venture away from bakers yeast & go for a dedicated rum yeast I would recommend EDV-493. It will end up cheaper in the long run compared to the SS yeast as well
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby MR-E » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

googe wrote:Will white sugar instead of raw bring the sweetness down a bit, its starting to taste to sweet for my liking, plus I'm sweet enough already ;-). . I don't want to reduce molasses cause thats where most of the flavor would be coming from wouldn't it? .

No & yes & no, you get the flavor from molasses & dunder (if you use it)
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Lowndsey wrote:So I tried to dump this molasses yesterday....Went down the backyard and took the lid off and got about 300ml of molasses onto the ground before I started sobbing uncontrollably and had to be carried upstairs to bed by the missus. After I ran out of tissues and decided to man up I thought I would try clarifying this shit to see if it makes a difference. So this arvo I heated it up as all instructions on the net says to do. It smells fuckin delicious..dunno how this beautiful black gold could have made such disgusting smelling rum..I am wondering if there was something wrong with the dunder I used or maybe it got an infection or something? It's got me beat cause it smells too good to be shit.

So I gave this molasses one more chance. Cut out all the variables. Just used the molasses , 3 kg of Raw Sugar and Lowans yeast, no dunder,. Just ran this lot through the still and still smells and tastes like arse. Time to bite the bullet and tip the shit down the drain. Can't say i didn't try. Need to stop wasting time on this shit...I am down to my last 10 litres of rum. :laughing-rolling: So for any NQ people in Townsville. Don't get your Molasses from Lens feed shed.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm

:greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Just put my first molasses wash on and it's been two hours and no violent foaming or foam at all but it is bubbling away on the top and u can hear it going steady does that sound right
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Sounds right mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Sweet many thanks again mac
CyBaThUg

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 pm

thats normal. Mine does that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Got home from work went downstairs to check on my rums progress and nek minute the sweet smell hits me oh my I want to drink it now haha
CyBaThUg

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

wont taste very nice as it is :)) but give it a go and tell us
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Next

Return to Recipe Development