Kraken Spiced Rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kraken Spiced Rum

Postby Valoren » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Don't bother with imitation vanilla, go with extract or the pods, I use something similar for a Jamaican mate of mine only I use a few all spice berries and don't use cloves. Most of the dark rums out there use caramel to colour it, wood just won't impart that degree of tint to the spirit.

Linny wrote:http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1514&p=61191&hilit=spiced#p61191

Linny wrote:well finally having a taste testing now , i can say that im pleasantly suprised. For those that read this in the future heres what i did .... first off i made a macstill rum http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... ?f=32&t=30, aged it on dominoes for about 5-7 weeks @ 65% (could go longer but it still taste great). :handgestures-thumbupleft:
watered it down to 40% with filtered water. I then took 2L @ 40% and added :

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter )
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

After 3 days I removed the Star Anise and Cloves. After the 7th day i removed the orange peel ( should have dont this a little ealier ) After 10 days i bottled it using a funnel and a coffee filter to remove all the smaller particles. Pretty sure this will get moved to Tried and tested after a few people have tried it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This is the spiced rum recipe i use ,,, my spiced rum has the hit of liquorice , just like the Kraken so im going to use this recipe and instead of sugar im going to add charamel , like the bottle says it has in it.... either way its delicous. ive also added 3 caps of vanilla extract to give it more of a vanilla hit like captain morgan,,, i dont think the kraken will need that extra bit...

EDIT : The rum is still aging ;( ... I stuck it in the hot sink full of water twice to accellerate the process a bit... but now it just needs time... my problem is that ive got heaps of rum but its rum thats had generations and i dont think that the kraken rum has that taste. so i had to make a new single batch
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby Linny » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 am

Whoops i missed this post ... Uhm I took some to BigD's place about a fortnight ago.... I wouldnt call it a clone , but its definately in the right direction and its still a very nice drink.... Big D seems to think it needs more star of annise for more of a liqourice hit and mor vanilla. And i think its just caramel colouring not flavouring as my caramel added some sweetness to it , im guessing because i use the mac rum that it already has that sweet molasses taste to it. Might have to make the rum a little lighter next time and age it on newer sticks ???? just a guess.

The nutmeg and cloves were used in place of the allspice berries as I didnt have access to it. Some one needs to pick this project up as I dont have a still.... I would really like someone to have a crack at it , with my adjustments . and post their results.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby unsub » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:20 am

I have some of your recipe almost ready to go, I am going to try it on the weekend but it smells great already.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby djfrestyla » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 am

I am keen to have a crack at it too.
Done a McRum, yesterday, through 5 plates, ran it really slow, so it is not as harsh on the molasses, on tasting, it was really smooth, and not much bite (like Capt Morgans but without the spices).
I have also put down another batch in the fermenter, using less molasses, more raw sugar, to try to replicate a lighter rum, this should make a great base to use.
I think that it is very important to get the rum profile just right, otherwise you will never get that same profile in the end product, no matter how much you fiddle around with the spices.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby djfrestyla » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:34 am

Ok, I have done a few test batches, will post pics tomorrow.
First one is made to Linny's recipe, with ajustments.
second one, I used less Star Anise (1 Point), and 1/2 a clove, no sugar, and added, all spice at 1/4 tsp.
I had a go at distillers caramel (for colouring), recipe is:
1/2 cup Castor sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
mix and bring to boil stirring, when it starts to brown, watch it carefully, keep on heat until it becomes the same colour as "Coke".
Remove from heat and slowly (while stirring) add 1 cup of cold water (watch out for splatter, add SLOW)
This caramel colouring is very dark, and has absolutely no sweetness at all, so should be great to colour up with.
djfrestyla

2"Pot Still (retired)

Postby crow » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 pm

found plain old molasses boiled up is good for colouring and adds jack all sweetness :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby CHEROKEE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:34 am

With Mac's New Carter Head, I think a black spiced Rum will be more achievable. Injecting flavour into the vapour stream before condensing
into liquid (alcohol) will be Top notch. Only my thoughts. Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Anyone been experamenting more with a Kraken clone recipe?
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Kraken Spiced Rum

Postby djfrestyla » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:48 pm

I have made a few attempts, using less molasses/more sugar in the ferment, to give a lighter rum.
This rum base is awesome, then used linny's recepie, first taste tests were really good, so i aged on more oak for 4 months.
I went to give it a quick forced age tonight, ready to bottle tomorrow, but my 10L glass demijohn broke in the double boiler, & yes it was full.
I feel numb now, but looks like i can start all over again.
djfrestyla

2"Pot Still (retired)

Postby Linny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

Can we keep this just for kraken please. To keep it clean
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Just down a litre of this, looking forward to tasting over Easter :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby pochine » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 pm

I have just tasted some of this Kraken rum. Love it. I taste the vanilla sweetness and some fruityness....... I'm thinking cherry???? What does everyone else thing?Have another smell.

On my next batch of rum I am going to try Vanilla, roasted oak and vanilla. I will report further....
pochine

equipment: None yet...

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:32 pm

I've tried it a few times trying to convince myself it must be OK if everyone raves about it, but to me it's sickly sweet with none of the molasses flavors jumping out at all.

I reckon you could make a good clone using neutral ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby pochine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Will be trying to re-create the Kraken this month. How is everyone getting on? Any success?
pochine

Postby Rush006 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:31 pm

MacStill wrote:I've tried it a few times trying to convince myself it must be OK if everyone raves about it, but to me it's sickly sweet with none of the molasses flavors jumping out at all.

:text-+1:
too sweet and too spicy for me. Ron Zacapa 23, now that is somthing i would like to copy once im set up.

i have been making caramel with just sugar and water. poor it out on baking paper and let go hard. smash it and putting just a little in all the shit bottles of rum ive been given for presents. it actually smoothes out most of them, even bundy. :laughing-rolling:
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 am

I spent the day on Saturday with some real nice people who judge spirit harshly, mostly whisky & vodka guys with a a couple of rum buffs included....

To have Hermin sampling a bottle of my rum saying it's the best he's ever had leaves me a bit humbled, coming from a guy who grew up with rum in a country with rum in its veins and his favourite drink for over 40yrs it's quite an experience to have people of this calibre saying it's "the best rum in the world"

Big call, but he keeps repeating it, and Ryno cant hide it from him :laughing-rolling:

It's not about what you add to it, it's in the ferment and a few other things..... the biggest hint I'll give is ferment it hot ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby drdjw » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Rush006 wrote:Ron Zacapa 23, now that is something i would like to copy once im set up

Rush006 how'd you get on with imitating the great Ron Zacapa rum?

It's a favourite of my grandfather's and I'd love to have a crack at brewing some up for him for Christmas!
drdjw

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo T500

Postby sp0rk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Another bump to see how this went?
I did a rum spirit run yesterday and the mrs is on to me to do something like The Kraken with a couple of litres of it
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby pochine » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:08 pm

sp0rk wrote:Another bump to see how this went?
I did a rum spirit run yesterday and the mrs is on to me to do something like The Kraken with a couple of litres of it

I will be trying this within the next weeks or so. I bought some vanilla beans and they were not very nice. Just bought some grade a organic beans to experiment.

I think we are after a darker char than what I am used to.

I have about 10 500ml jars to experiment with.

The aromas that I can detect are vanilla and cherry. It is a very sweet smell. It mentiones on the bottle that there is caramel added. It smells of cream soda......

Anyone else detect any other spices or anything else?
pochine

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:55 am

Where it says charamel is that meant to say caramel or is it something entirely different and if so is that distillers caramel
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development