Running Still In Bathroom

Discuss safety issues here.

Running Still In Bathroom

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Are there any dangers to running a still in a bathroom with the exhaust fan on and window open? I ask because the bathtub makes a convenient cooling water holding tank and if the cooling water temp gets too high it is easily exchanged for cooler water. Does anyone else do this?

Another pro is that I can have a bath in the (heated) cooling water at the end of my spirits run without having to use more power heating up the hot water system. :)

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Re: Running Still In Bathroom

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:11 pm

I have never personally run mine in the bathroom :) Good idea on the water for the bath, I carry the warm water from outside into the bath for my son.

As long as you have a plan in case of a still fire and you keep an eye on it should be right. You said before your running elec hey?

I am thinking in winter I will run mine indoors to heat up the house, I am a cheap bastard :) Why turn on a heater when you can run a still?
reknaw

Postby Heffers » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Spud1700 wrote: You said before your running elec hey?

yeah, running a 2200w stainless rod type element. Not sure whether you are clarifying what my heat source is or suggesting that I should be using something different.

Electrickery is convenient for me and I feel that it is safer for me being a novice in this hobby. There is no way that I would get command approval from the minister for war and finance to run an open flame still in the house :lol:
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby reknaw » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Just wanted to confirm it was electric (I thought I remembed you saying that) I was going to say don't use gas indoors :)
reknaw

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 am

When you finish may be best to let wash cool a little boiling water may affect seals in pluming but good way to clean grease out pipes .
wynnum1

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi guys
I know this is a old thread but it sort of leads into my question and the only thread I can find that relates.
I would like to move my still in doors into a section of my shed that was going to be a games room for the kids but that never happened, so I am turning it into a man cave :happy-partydance: Now I run electric elements so gas shouldn't be a problem but there's not alot of ventilation just the one door and the ridge cap has some ventilation through the gaps in the iron. It is a pretty big room about 6mx 9m.
Would this be safe or should I get some windows etc put in?
Cheers
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby baysidebogan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Woodduck, keep the door open while your doing a run and you will be ok.
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby Kimbo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:47 pm

baysidebogan wrote:Woodduck, keep the door open while your doing a run and you will be ok.

:text-+1:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby pulsetech » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:00 pm

:text-+1: :text-+1:
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks guys
I'll post a pick when it's all set up
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Wraith71 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Hey Heffers ,
I've done runs in bathroom, laundry .. garage , shed and a few places better left off :-B .
If you have reasonable ventilation .. correct water and elect supply .. I say go for it. .. just put a mat or bit of wood under your still to keep it off the tiles to save them from copping direct heat and maybe lifting. But check out my pic doing a vinegar run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Wraith71 wrote:Hey Heffers ,
I've done runs in bathroom, laundry .. garage , shed and a few places better left off :-B .
If you have reasonable ventilation .. correct water and elect supply .. I say go for it. .. just put a mat or bit of wood under your still to keep it off the tiles to save them from copping direct heat and maybe lifting. But check out my pic doing a vinegar run.

Check the dates, it's almost 3yrs ago since last post :teasing-tease:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Wraith71 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
Wraith71 wrote:Hey Heffers ,

Check the dates, it's almost 3yrs ago since last post :teasing-tease:

.. I didn't actually notice but lots of ppl tend to read more than they write .. so I just thought id throw in my 2c's worth to share some experiences.
I find reading thru old posts is a good way to learn and finding out pro's and con's never goes astray.
Cheers.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu May 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Wraith71 wrote:.. I didn't actually notice but lots of ppl tend to read more than they write .. so I just thought id throw in my 2c's worth to share some experiences.
I find reading thru old posts is a good way to learn and finding out pro's and con's never goes astray.
Cheers.

U will find a lot of great info in old posts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby easysipper » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:02 am

heya, i 'still in the bathroom too, it makes sense.. h2o at 4 outlets, fan for odors, why not?? i do keep a heavy watch as well
easysipper

equipment: t500 copper condenser
planning to build custom reflux

Return to Safety Discussion