The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby woodduck » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Righto guys I'm in need of some criticism and or ideas. I've tacked my legs on and to be honest I'm not that keen on them. What are your thoughts? Does it need some bracing or somthing to break it up a bit or have i just gone to high? Iwent for that hight because i wanted to get a bucket under the tap that well come out the bottom as well as its a good hight to view the plates. Any ideas are more than welcome and don't hold back I'd rather change it now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:45 am

Sorry mate but you asked....
Looks a little too tall.
How stable will it be when you have a column a neutralizer on and the PC off one side? :think:

Maybe shorter and thicker legs, run partially up the side of the keg?

Is it going to be gas or electric?
Will you have a drain out the bottom or side?
That will make a difference as to the placement and bracing of the legs as well.

Thicker legs run 20% up the keg..... no need to brace
Bigger feet = more stability

Just my thoughts....

Love the shape and style of your copper work btw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This build is looking so good/upmarket, it shouldn't be called a duck.... it should be a pheasant :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pheasant under glass? :D :D :D
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby bt1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:15 am

Duck,
I'd be chasing stability of boiler as first concern as per dbv's comments.

what's the purpose of the bucket you want underneath?

Is it for total drainage or collecting smaller volumes of dunder/backset ?

Consider a semi flexible braided hose on the drain. Gravity will push up to the liquid height in the boiler meaning you could effectively drain "uphill" for smaller volumes, then lower the hose to connect into a drain hose perhaps.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby wiifm » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:45 am

I have found that the legs on mine are too short and it is a pain in the arse handling hot backset. If you have the headroom, then I say keep it that height. Otherwise, you will be looking for more convenient / safer ways to handle hot liquid like me. As for bracing, it's stainless - properly welded, it won't go anywhere.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bt1 wrote:what's the purpose of the bucket you want underneath?

Is it for total drainage or collecting smaller volumes of dunder/backset ?

Consider a semi flexible braided hose on the drain. Gravity will push up to the liquid height in the boiler meaning you could effectively drain "uphill" for smaller volumes, then lower the hose to connect into a drain hose perhaps.

Its for total drainage when cleaning out. I've thought about a drain hose running straight out the side of my shed but I'm a bit worried it might start to stink a bit if the dunder goes in the same area all the time.

dogbreath vodka wrote:Sorry mate but you asked....don't be
Looks a little too tall.
How stable will it be when you have a column a neutralizer on and the PC off one side? :think: I'm planning to put an outrigger off my shed column to help support the top of the still especially when the packed section is on. Also a slight angle on my legs will help. I recon I'll also get rid of one leg and go back oto 3.

Maybe shorter and thicker legs, run partially up the side of the keg?

Is it going to be gas or electric? Electric
Will you have a drain out the bottom or side? Out the bottom.
That will make a difference as to the placement and bracing of the legs as well.

Thicker legs run 20% up the keg..... no need to brace
Bigger feet = more stability they are 100mm diameter at the minute but could go bigger

Just my thoughts....

Love the shape and style of your copper work btw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This build is looking so good/upmarket, it shouldn't be called a duck.... it should be a pheasant :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pheasant under glass? :D :D :D i like it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
DBV
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Woody...Id stay with the four legs....way more stable but I undwrstand three sit better on uneven ground
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby BIG D » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Woodduck I've given this some thought for my own boiler and I reckon if you splay the legs it will be more stable and look better I agree with bucket height. Just my 2 cents. :think:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:08 am

What about a three legged version of this, part way up the keg?
Three legs so you are less likely to kick it.

apollo-lunar-lander.jpg

Very stable, just need to keep the legs a little closer to the keg.

You could also brace the PC off one of the legs.

Just a thought

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby woodduck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks dbv,
I love the look of that thing and was thinking about something along those lines yesterday, well not quite as elaborate. then when you posted that pick it confurmed it. I don't want to change the bottom of the legs cause I've gone to all that work so i recon a couple of 22.5 deg cuts and some more pipe and I'll have somthing that will look the goods and be stable as hell, i hope. I haven't had a chance to get back in the shed yet but when i do ill post some ideas.

Once again thanks for your input. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby BIG D » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 pm

That is what I meant by splaying the legs hope it works out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Mate I honestly wouldn't worry about height to get a bucket underneath, you have gone to this much effort and built a superb rig, why not finish it off with a $60 magnetic drive march pump and some silicone hose? You could have a quick connect welded to the bottom centre of the boiler and just hook up and let her rip. Mine does 19l per min :handgestures-thumbupleft: and just have two lengths of hose, one for backset you want to keep one for waste.

Just my thoughts but i think you can avoid going to all this design effort to get a bucket under a tap that isn't going to completely empty the boiler anyway
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Good idea Urrazeb, i didn't even think of that. I've almost got the legs sorted out but my just go shorter, just enough to have the tap out the bottom and some adjustable legs to level her up. Thanks for that
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Mate I honestly wouldn't worry about height to get a bucket underneath, you have gone to this much effort and built a superb rig, why not finish it off with a $60 magnetic drive march pump and some silicone hose? You could have a quick connect welded to the bottom centre of the boiler and just hook up and let her rip. Mine does 19l per min :handgestures-thumbupleft: and just have two lengths of hose, one for backset you want to keep one for waste.

Just my thoughts but i think you can avoid going to all this design effort to get a bucket under a tap that isn't going to completely empty the boiler anyway

:text-+1: that is the way I went :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:02 pm

That's it sunday is the day, it's my day off and the wife and kids can amuse themselves, I'm gonna finish this bloody keg if it kills me, it's been sitting there tormenting me all week :)) . It's this ss stuff thats stuffing me around, it's killed my mojo (well that and work), i just don't enjoy it like the copper work. If i don't get my arse into gear soon I'll have bushy after me :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

There will be a update with picks on sunday mark my words :))
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:05 pm

That's what I'll be doing with Agrajag as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Well I've finally done it, i got my boiler finished, just needs a bit of a clean up and the elements wired up.

I went with 3 legs in the style DBV suggested and cut the legs down so it is nice and low like Urrazeb suggested. So thanks to both of you and everyone else for your input, you all where a huge help and I'm happy with the outcome. Enough crapping on and here's the picks. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ps, more picks in next post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Love it! Looks like it's squatting to piss though :laughing-rolling:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 pm

More pickies
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Love it! Looks like it's squatting to piss though :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: at least she won't fall over while shes doing it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby BIG D » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 pm

That look great and stable as well done Woody :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills