Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash (WBAB)

These recipes are the go to proven recipes that work!

Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash (WBAB)

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm

This is a variant of the HD (Rad) version of All Bran wash with good old weetbix.

You can use most grain based brekky cereals I think, but this is what I used with good success. Without going anal about pros and cons of TURBO's or dextrose v sugar etc, its easy, reasonably quick, cheap, uses common ingredients you can get from the supermarket and will result in a product that can be pot or reflux stilled to get a nice drink without having to worry about filtering etc. Just remember these are all approximates, times / vols/ alc content may vary depending on temperature, whats in the cupboard etc. Don't worry if its not exact, it will still work!!! :lol:

Ingredients for a standard home brew 23 litre fermenter (I usually use 2 or 3 at once to build up the volumes quicker):
5kg sugar (white or raw) - Note you can use less for a quicker ferment, will just reduce final alcohol content of wash slightly...
Approx 3 cups crushed weet bix
Approx 3 cups all bran
Approx 1.5 teaspoons epsom salts
Approx 75g of bakers yeast (lowans etc)
Approx 1 teaspoon citric acid (or juice of a lemon)
Water up to around 21litre mark

Method:
# Add approx 1 jugful boiling water to saucepan and add sugar, stir over low heat until dissolved.
# Add citric acid and stir
# Pour sugar liquid into fermenter
# Add weetbix / allbran into saucepan, add jugful of hot water and simmer on low heat for around a minute, stirring.
# Add to fermenter, top up to 21 litres, stir and make sure final temp between around 27-30 dgrees celcius.
# Add epsom salts and stir
# Add yeast and stir.
# Put lid on fermenter but don't fully screw down lid for around half a day or so due to aggressive initial ferment action....

According to my notes, if you want to check SG, inital approx 1075 - 1080.
Final SG after around a week to 2 weeks depending on temperature of brew area and sugar content, approx 990.
This give approx alc content of around 11.5% (check HD calculators though, may be higher?).

You know its ready once its stops bubbling and gets fairly clear. I usually give it few extra days after I think its finished
to let it settle some more before I siphon off and still.

Best results if you strip the first lot (I get around 10.5 litres of av 57% from around 60 litres of wash with my reflux head with no ss scrubbers), then keep doing successive ferments and strips until you get enough for 1 final spirit or reflux run.

More grainy flavours come through if you add around 25% backset from your still after you strip into the next ferment, and you wont need to add as much, if any fresh yeast aka UJSM /easy rum style recipes (make sure you dont add it too hot though, must be under 30degrees c). Or you can just start again from scratch if you want, its all good....

Give it a go and let us know what you think.. :)

Please use the Easy Wheatbix /All Bran (WBAB) discussion thread if you would like to know more about this recipe. It can be found in the Recipe Development section of the Forum or by clicking HERE.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Return to Tried & Proven