What are you cooking?

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

What are you cooking?

Postby Muppet » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Now that we have a few guys into their BBQ and cooking etc, I thought this would be a good idea to keep the other threads a bit cleaner. Tonight for me its a simple charcoal chicken.

Anything cooking is welcome here so go for it!
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: What are you cooking?

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:52 pm

There's one like this called "whats for dinner"

But out with the old in with the new.

Last night was a Japanese chicken udon noodle soup.

Chicken stock, soy, mirin, water, veggies, chicken, indo chilli flake, sliced nori sheets.

Fuckin yum!

Charcoal chook looks the good Muppet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Muppet » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:57 pm

My bad, I missed that one. Keen to see what someone with your experience does Zeb. I'm very new with my food journey.
Muppet

Postby 1 2many » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I love having a couple of quiet ones while cooking a spit roast. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The smell the smoke, it's all good. :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Muppet » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:07 pm

1 2many wrote:I love having a couple of quiet ones while cooking a spit roast. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The smell the smoke, it's all good. :D

:text-+1:
Muppet

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:18 pm

I wish I had to time to fuck around with food as well, all the stuff you guys post looks amazing :drool:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:26 pm

The soup I made last night took about 20min to cook.. Real easy and as long as it takes to heat up a frozen pie! Shit loads healthier and I used some veggies from the garden, so rewarding.

I am fully keen on people cooking fresh food, nothing better.

Once you start the hardest part is getting the knife skills to chop fast. I have a bowl for waste (compost) and two bowls for ingredients, one that needs more time to cook and the other for the stuff that cooks real fast. But I thoroughly enjoy cooking and heaps of me mates think I'm wacko 8-} but the fuckers don't mind eating it :laughing-rolling:

If you do one thing sam I'd say brine a chook, you'll never go back from that
Urrazeb

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:31 pm

I have read that a few times urra, I will definitely give it a go at some stage I have a webber kettle that I haven't used for ages, maybe I should dust it off for Xmas :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Fire and food what can i say "Tasty"

1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Muppet » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Tonight's chook was brined with the captains gourmet recipe, I use a injector so you can get crispy skin too. Worth the $20 in my book. Really I know nothing about cooking, I've just learnt how to use my webber, lately I bought a 2 probe thermo and thats made everything easy. Apart from that I'm probably a worse cook than most...
Muppet

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Nice!
You can submerge brine and just drain, pat dry with paper towel and place uncovered in the fridge for a few hours and that'll allow the skin to dry and crisp up when cooking. But I only do this in my beer fridge because I'm a bit paranoid about cross contamination
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18 am

Up late last night getting the New Year's Eve, Eve feast on, It was proving too hard to get everyone around for New Years so we're backing up two nights in a row, 5kg pork butt, brined and rubbed and beef two ways. Ones brined with stout, beef stock and mustard crust, the other just plain jane with steak seasoning. All 3 are currently stalled and smelling amazing. :happy-partydance:

Muppet

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Good stuff Muppet! Let me know how the brined beef goes, was there any salt/sugar in the brine or was it just what was in your post?

I have not brined red meat before :think:

I have a slab of pork belly about to go into the oven for a nice low n slow, not going to molester this too much, bit of fennel and garlic and we're good to go
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Just as in the post Zeb, the stock is the salt, the pork i brined with salt, garlic, onion and some toasted aromatics.
Muppet

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Sweet, keen to hear how this beef goes down :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby robduca » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Decided to use my rotisserie for the second time ever (had it for about 4 years haha)
Cooking a Thai marinade pork
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Noice!!! Love me some pig on the spit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

Postby bt1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:46 am

One I stumbled across thanks to a mate... If your near a Coles store(guess Woolies etc would do also).

They have pre marinated Rosemary and garlic lamb , about a kg in weight.

Place on a bbq plate or grill at lowest heat, marinate = fresh Rosemary , garlic, good olive oil and juice of two lemons. Takes a good 1.5 hours... best Yiros meat I've eaten.

Enjoy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Muppet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 pm

The verdicts in, the stout brined beef was damn good, just a hint of sweet stout which surprised me as the brine was very potent. Moving forward I think that strong flavors are needed for beef a typical pork brine wouldn't cut it. Not really a fair fight serving brisket against pulled pork as the pork renders better and is much softer (pulled chuck would be better) but both were hits. Those game went the pulled pork with slaw an spicy sauce while the beef was treated this way

No photos last night this ones leftovers :happy-partydance:
Muppet

Postby StillBornLiqour » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:18 am

last night decided to fire up barbie with lamb on rotisserie. Stabbed the hell out of it then went round and pushed some sliced garlic and fresh rosemary into all the holes. Finished of with a nice coating of australian mustard. Then went on to marinate myself a little was going great till 30 mins before it was done and the gas run out :-| so done quick swap to oven which i really didnt want going as it was hot enough in the house.Turned out awesome meant to take a pic but was a bit far gone by that stage and the bones are not much to go on :)) 2nd time in a row using rotisserie gas has run out last time was pork and it run out but was cooked perfectly
StillBornLiqour

equipment: ss super reflux, 2inch pot on 50litre gas keg

Next

Return to The Tucker Box