TPW with dextrose, any advantage?

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW with dextrose, any advantage?

Postby Marbled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 am

I was listening to someone the other day who reckons he gets a better product in a wash using dextrose as opposed to table sugar. I had no idea if he was right, it seems an expensive alternative unless you can source bulk supplies. So I thought I'd ask you lot!
Any thoughts?
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Re: the with dextrose, any advantage?

Postby Plumby » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:04 pm

I've heard this before as well, especially from the guys who drink their spirit neat or on ice, not sure if its true or not but if there were any advantages with dextrose I'm sure someone with more experience than I will tell us.
I know that beer is better with dextrose because white sugar adds a cidery/fruity taste to the finished product.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Dextrose is used in a lot of industry sausages can have added cheap additive .If you can get at right price may be cheaper then sugar.
wynnum1

Postby Marbled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I'd definitely give it a go if I could find bulk supplies, $5 a kilo is putting me off.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Re: TPW with dextrose, any advantage?

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:43 pm

I've been looking at sugar for the past few months, mainly searching for cane for white rum. Came across a few good pages, I have summarised below (this is only sugar relating to fermenting/distilling not general info) ;

*Dextrose/glucose/corn sugar
Glucose is a simple sugar made from converted starches. It is one single glucose molecule and easily accessible for yeast during fermentation. Depending on the source of starch and process in refining some of the origin remains (flavour)

*Maltose
Maltose is two glucose molecules and completely fermentable

*Fructose
Fructose is derived from fruit and is another simple sugar made up of a single molecule

*Sucrose/granular white sugar
This is basically made up of one molecule of Glucose and one of Fructose, this bond must be broken in order for the yeast to use it during fermentation (inverted). The yeast will invert it itself but by using invertase (enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis (breakdown) of sucrose).

From my personal experiences white table sugar is great to use - provided there are enough nutrients for the yeast to do it's work on breaking the bond and finally fermenting the glucose.

So yes Dextrose is better as it is readily available to the yeast but with sufficient nutrition white sugar is fine.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Andy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Marbled wrote:I'd definitely give it a go if I could find bulk supplies, $5 a kilo is putting me off.

should be able to find it for about $2per/kg in bulk bags :handgestures-thumbupleft:
its used like molasses for horse feed so you could try rural west (maybe organise a whole sale price if thats ur kind of thing)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby WTDist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Im not sure where everyone gets their suger from but white sugar is only 1.79 for 2kg at aldi. only place ive bought sugar. 1.09$ for raw. unsure of the brown price. if you but alot of sugar and want to save money i wouldnt buy from coles n woolies. Large price difference over 30 kg or 150L wash. not advertising for aldi though lol, just dont see the point in paying top dollar for sugar when i want to save money.

Im no expert on sugar but would inverting the sugar make it closer to dextrose, by this i mean doesnt inverting make it easier/quicker for the yeast?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Read two posts back mate... :angry-banghead: :)) :teasing-tease:

Edit;
Urrazeb wrote:...

*Sucrose/granular white sugar
This is basically made up of one molecule of Glucose and one of Fructose, this bond must be broken in order for the yeast to use it during fermentation (inverted). The yeast will invert it itself but by using invertase (enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis (breakdown) of sucrose)
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Aldi isn't everywhere in Australia, Apart from wholesale distributers (which aren't easy for the average Joe to buy through) colesworth is the only option.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Marbled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks fellas, I'm definitely keen to give it a go. I'll no doubt find some at a decent price, I'm in sugarland Qld after all, it must be available.
Marbled

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Muppet wrote:Aldi isn't everywhere in Australia, Apart from wholesale distributers (which aren't easy for the average Joe to buy through) colesworth is the only option.

Even wholesale is not much cheaper :handgestures-thumbdown:
Urrazeb

Postby Marbled » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I've found a 25kg bag for $40, I'll be giving it a go in a couple of weeks. Then I'll find out.
:happy-partydance:
Marbled

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Sharings caring. Where from?

I have no doubt that Dextrose is better ;-)
Urrazeb

Postby Teddysad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 pm

I use it regularly I have a source here where it is quite a bit less than sugar.

The only things I warn about are It must be added to water not the other way round -- It will form a big rock.

I have a sifter ( ex the other half's kitchen - I bought her a new one) and find that eliminates most "rocking" problems.

I find that for neutrals it is superior - I allow about 10 to 15% more dex over white sugar in a standard recipe

I only persevere due to

1 the much lower price ( for me)
2 The better flavour

I do have to buy in bulk 150 to 200kg at a time
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby HoochHound » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 pm

If you're brewing beer, there's a huge difference between using dex and sucrose. Sucrose will give a whole bunch of fruity, estherish undesirable flavours.

I don't really notice a difference with spirits though. I use sucrose (table sugar) in my washes as it's less than half the price of dex and I can get it from the local stupidmarket.

Why not do the experiment? Keep a bottle of neutral out of your current run and then use the other sugar for your next. See if you notice any difference for your self. You could even get some friends around to do a blind taste test :smile: .
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Postby viking » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 am

I use dextrose primarily. While I think the dex dissolves faster than sucrose, the reason I use dex is that I buy 5 or 6 25kg bags @ 40 something dollars per bag. when I go to Perth as dex is $60 per 25 kg in the small town I live in. I hate shopping so it is easier for me.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby Marbled » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Sharings caring. Where from?

I have no doubt that Dextrose is better ;-)

I've got a mate who can pick me some up.
Otherwise it's available in Melbourne on eBay.
Marbled

Postby Carbonator » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Sorry to drag up an old post, but Manildra Group, if in your area has the Dextrose for about $1 p/kg in 25 KG bags (last year).

They sell over the counter to the drive-up public. Wear PPE, because after you pay for it, you then be directed to drive to the dispatch dock. Pay by card is probably easier for them if you need change!

Link to their products;
http://www.manildra.com.au/products/food/
Their Dextrose comes from China but works!
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby Carbonator » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Carbonator wrote:Link to their products;
http://www.manildra.com.au/products/food/

I can't edit the above post, but you will find Dextrose Monohydrate on page 2 with the above link.

This is the Dex that HB and Body Building shops use and repackage. ($15 for 1.5KG for BODY BUILDERS - lol)
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby bayshine » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:18 am

You could always buy normal sugar and invert it your self,makes the same thing I believe :-B
Plenty of good threads on that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Return to Sugar wash's