bundy rum SS version (classic rum?)

Homebrew shop essences talk.

bundy rum SS version (classic rum?)

Postby Mad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Alright guys just wanted to pick your brain about this essence. i think its called SS Classic Rum top shelf maybe? I had an old packet of it that came with the still when I bought it, have tasted it many times before from someone elses HB. My query is after sitting for a nearly 2 weeks I finally gave in and opened it up. It tasted so nice (because I made it myself..) but I've noticed it's starting to get a slight liqurish flavor to it. It's not bad but it is different. now I'm wondering if I didn't cut enough tails out because I'm still a noobie, but thought it strange that it didn't originate with that flavour seems to be as it's ageing, I know it didnt originate because I made 2 bottles of it and 1 I began to drink imediately lol and there was no liqourish taste about it. Just curious won't stop me depleating the level of the bottle any :mrgreen:
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Re: bundy rum SS version (classic rum?)

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi mad
I haven't tried that one but i have noticed that with other essances if you dont put the exact amount in and shake the essence to mix it up has a huge impact on flavours. They are a concentrate mix and most of the time i only use half what the bottle says because its too over powering.

I'm on my last few bottles of imatations and look forward to the real stuff on oak. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 pm

the essences do take a little bit of time for the flavours to develop, so the liquorish may be a finer note that is brought out with time, hence it being undetected in the first bottle.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks wondering if some kind of wood chip would help
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm

in the future if you are going to use essences I would oak first, then add essences.

if rum is what you are after, check out the rum recipe on here in the tried and true section. would be better than essences.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks andy. Just starting out only have a small super reflux so neutrals atm will hang with that till i get it down pat essences dont seem that bad still a leap and bound above store bought bottles. Still trying to figure out what I REALLY want out of a still before taking the next journey. Im actually getting a bit over drinking coke but love a good rum n coke so im really torn hahah
Mad

Postby benpandaae86 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Ur super reflux can be detuned to be used as a pot still

I built a lil pot still for reflux boiler (the threadd called somethin like that)

For something different i drink tpw and solo extreme lemon
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:25 pm

I enjoy a good pine orange juice :) good simple style of mai tai with a neutral and bit of rum. Never know a coktail to cost about $3 lol
Mad

Postby Mad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Rum diddly what essence have you used for rum? There is a licorish tone in this ss classic its very Suttle i think if it was soaked with oak it would actually be a really nice imitation. Made some other random rum immitation i bought :-| think it might get re stilled lol ill give it few weeks see what its like again
Mad

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Still spirits aussie gold. Dark rum and a several others. I wont be mixing essences with my oak its a waste of good oak :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D :D

Im going to stick with proper washes and experimenting washes, there is just so much body and flavours compared that personally even the top brand essences can't recreate. From what ive tasted any way.

At the moment im still drinking essances so i can keep aging and build up some stock :happy-partydance:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Mad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Cool. Once i upgrade my rc to a boka or something i will begin to look at real rums. The aussi gold is what im using. Makes 2.25ltr in 1 hit.
Mad

Postby StillBornLiqour » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:19 pm

The rum I've come to enjoy is a mix of Samuel Willard's Queenslander dark rum and coral sea rum by coral sea products.It can be messy since coral sea is like golden syrup a way around it is grab a 1ltr bottle pour both essence's in top up too 800ml with neutral then shake.when needed just add 100ml per 700ml bottle
StillBornLiqour

equipment: ss super reflux, 2inch pot on 50litre gas keg

Postby Mad » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:35 am

Yeah right seems like fun. Lol so you can make 10 bottles out of your concoction? Thats what i love about this you can make whatever you like and it doesnt break the bank to experiment
Mad

Postby WTDist » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi Mad
Im assuming your location CQ means Central Queensland? if so you could try out 'Roll Out The Barrel' in Redcliff. They sell boxes of about 5kg offcuts from barrels for $20 or $25 depending on their mood i guess as some here have picked them up for $20 and i paid $25. I asked the old lady that works there, or maybe she was even the owner, and she said they post the boxes out too, just depends where you are and how much your willing to pay for postage. I think it was $10 for me but in in Brisbane. If you want to save $$ on oak and try toast your own give their site a look.

http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au/contactus.html

They are all offcuts.

I found Aussie gold rum was the go for essences but im not a fan of essences. I mostly made Scrub Turkey on oak from Edwards essence but now im just double distilling TPW with double cuts through my t500 for vodka as im over essence bourbons.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Jimbo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm a big fan of the Aussie Gold Top Shelf rum essence. Don't ask me why its just so appealing to me. I guess I have a sweet tooth. I've drank gallons of the stuff. The thing that really weirds me out is when I started stilling, the difference in the 'feel' of drinking home made spirit. Put simply, I drink 1/2 a 40oz of Bundy rum, and i'm feeling pretty crook, falling over stuff, and wake up with a wicked hangover. When I started stilling I was blown away, and the best I can describe is its like your mind is clear and your thinking just fine, but your body doesnt work properly. And if you down a nice big glss of water before bed, zero hangover.
Jimbo

equipment: 3" Pot Still - 25L boiler - damaged
stock T500 reflux still - 25L boiler
various other bits and pieces

Postby WTDist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Are you making cuts also i get no hangovers and i make realy harsh cuts.
Drinking red wine ATM though with my stil laout of action and i feel those ones 8-}
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Jimbo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Im drinking the Aussie Gold as we speak. Great drop lol. I do a big initial cut (200mL) then i run the still till it slows then shut it down. Im still a novice when it comes to making cuts, but everytime I've thrown away bulk at the start, its always ended up better. I would guesstimate that i take all the hearts with a bit of heads and tails; but not much. I keep my temps below 60C. Air the distillate for a few days, then water down. At the moment i'm collecting jars and reading up on doing cuts properly then I'll get into it. Have a TPW 25L wash ready to go next week so that might be the earliest i try it.
Jimbo

equipment: 3" Pot Still - 25L boiler - damaged
stock T500 reflux still - 25L boiler
various other bits and pieces

Postby Adam007 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Give the Noble Essence "Sundy Rum" a try.

I found it abit expensive, but very nice.
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Return to Essences