Using Soft Solder Only

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Using Soft Solder Only

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I built this condenser using only a butane torch and soft solder, it's 3" with 7 x 1/2" tubes inside.

Just trying to make things a little more simple for those who believe you cant do this, and the noobs that have read the bullshit info it cant be done!

IMG_0659.JPG

You will read that soft solder is weak, and you cant do this without desoldering joints that are close together..... the experts reckon you must braze the parts of this.

I say just use low flame, heat gentle & you'll be fine...... it can be done without expensive MAP gas or OXY & it's piss easy if you just take your time ;-)

Hope this helps out and makes life easier for those who are just embarking into the building scene, might even be of interest to some who are building and think soft solder is weak :D

I'll bet the copper on this would bend before the solder gives way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: 3" Shotgun Condenser

Postby Modernity » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm

I think you are right McStill. Soft solder is all about the surface area of the join or joint. Flanging and expanded overlapping joins are the perfect use for soft solders. End on end is properly the least optimum type of soft solder join, but where there is a will there is a way. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby maheel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 pm

did mother make you do it ? (behind the raid)

the strength of soft solder can be pretty strong and surprising on even simple but joints.
i did some fittings for a pump today and had to re-do one and thought i would just "break it off" and redo it.
it wouldn't let go with considerable force and i had to take the torch to it
IMO the prep work and fit makes a big diff on a join

nice looking shotgun :)
maheel

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

WHERES THE REST OF THE :text-coolphotos: !!!!!!!!!! I just see a piece of pipe with some reducers on it :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

It's all about filling the joint, right amount of heat to draw the solder to where you want it.......... too much heat and you'll fuck it!

I've got OXY, MAP, TIG, MIG, ARC, and generally use butane and soft solder for all my copper work.

Easy to clean, files off and looks schmick! :D

I've even been having great success soft soldering SS to copper, bit of a soft touch & technique to it but it's working brilliantly now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:WHERES THE REST OF THE :text-coolphotos: !!!!!!!!!! I just see a piece of pipe with some reducers on it :teasing-tease:

This topic is not so much about the build pics, but more about what "YOU" can do with a butane torch and soft solder ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:23 pm

maheel wrote:did mother make you do it ? (behind the raid)

the strength of soft solder can be pretty strong and surprising on even simple but joints.
i did some fittings for a pump today and had to re-do one and thought i would just "break it off" and redo it.
it wouldn't let go with considerable force and i had to take the torch to it
IMO the prep work and fit makes a big diff on a join

nice looking shotgun :)

I'll make a hook out of 2 but welded (soft solder) joins in 1/4" pipe and swing something heavy off it, I'll bet my scrawny nuts it wont break :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm

McStill wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:WHERES THE REST OF THE :text-coolphotos: !!!!!!!!!! I just see a piece of pipe with some reducers on it :teasing-tease:

This topic is not so much about the build pics, but more about what "YOU" can do with a butane torch and soft solder ;-)

I understand that Mac but you have posted this for the "newbs" and they wont have a fuckin clue what you are talking about in this thread.

If someone could post some staggered pics of a shotgun build, that would be beneficial, fuck it took me ages to work out wat was going on there :?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
McStill wrote:

I understand that Mac but you have posted this for the "newbs" and they wont have a fuckin clue what you are talking about in this thread.

If someone could post some staggered pics of a shotgun build, that would be beneficial, fuck it took me ages to work out wat was going on there :?

Here's the internals of another I built.

P2271974.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 pm

There is not one bit of this rig brazed, every join is soft soldered :handgestures-thumbupleft:

P2291975.JPG

And this one too

P2191936.jpg
MacStill
Lifetime Member

3" Shotgun Condenser

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks mac, that first bubbler pic almost looks like its in the right setting for moonshine production just put it under a tree and light a fire under it and keep a lookout for the excise man!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 am

McStill wrote:It's all about filling the joint, right amount of heat to draw the solder to where you want it.......... too much heat and you'll fuck it!

thats my problem with soft solder too much heat :doh: , I can't get myself to taper it down, just a bad habit that I have to break
I bought myself a butane burner the other week , every thing was OXY before, Now I just gotta work out how to do nice little joints with it

nice shotgun too Mac, it looks the goods, I hope ya gunna polish it :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby R-sole » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 am

I have moved all the crap in this thread. Please keep posts within this category on topic.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Using Soft Solder Only

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

After everything I've read about needing OXY & having to braze shotgun condensers to stop desoldering of joins I've set out to prove such advise wrong.

People have also been saying you cant get enough heat into 4" with MAPP & or butane to solder it, well it's all bullshit & can be done quite easily with a butane torch, without any problems what so ever.

Here is a soft soldered 4" shotgun I built today using a $20 butane torch from Bunnings, it's water tight and no joins were fucked up by soldering other joins :mrgreen:

IMG_0303.JPG
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:05 pm

did you soft solder on that 4" ferrule ?

what flux you using for that ?
maheel

Postby SBB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 am

Mac experience probably helps a huge amount. Knowing exactly where to heat along with what to heat and sometimes at what angle. From what Ive learned in my short soldering carreer all of these play some part at some time. For an experienced solderer Im sure its quite possible...........for a newbie its a whole lot trickier.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:50 pm

maheel wrote:did you soft solder on that 4" ferrule ?

what flux you using for that ?

Yep! SS to Copper is easily done using soft solder, takes a little practice but it works great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Will have to check the flux & let you know ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 pm

SBB wrote:for a newbie its a whole lot trickier.

True, but in this case it's the low heat of the butane torch that helps.... just takes a little extra time and patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Soldering/silver soldering

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Is this advise right . I was at bunnings the guy there told me to get propane as polypropylene tends to make too hot a flame for the 2% silver solder he recommended I use , recommending it because it will do both my structural and nonstructural joints . I'm use to oxy sets and soldering irons so have no idea about any of this
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Soldering/silver soldering

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:46 pm

CE
I use 45% silver in the rods i get, and I use oxy/acetelene for most welds, although I am using soft solder more and more
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench