Keggomax CM reflux

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Keggomax CM reflux

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi guys,
Thought I would start a thread regarding my new still to see how it compares with what others are using and to let any other Keggo users chime in with ideas/advice.
Got my still set up in to strip mode today for its first outing ...
image.jpg

So I just attached the hoses to the output condenser and didn't bother with the reflux. I planned to remove most of the packing but forgot and left it all in there.
I started the run with 24L of TPW and fired up both elements. Fores started after only 25mins so I was very happy with that. I then continued collecting in 300ml batches (purely to test ABV as I don't have a parrot) until it got down to 22%.
Total time from cold was 1hr55mins and I ended up with 5.1L low wines at 47%. I was collecting 300ml every 5mins.
Compared to using my old SS reflux running 4.5L at a time this is a massive improvement!! :happy-partydance:
Any thoughts, ideas, critiques appreciated.
Will be doing another stripping run in the next couple days and then a spirit run next weekend.
Cheers
Higgo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Re: Keggomax CM reflux

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Can't fault those numbers!!

If i could offer any advice, i would make sure that keg is on a solid base. Grounded is best. It looks like you have it in on cardboard atop a milk crate? Also, if those elements are 2200w each, don't plug them both into a powerboard.
Outside of that, bring on the spirit run :happy-partydance:

Edit: Not sure about that trim on the tiles...
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby WTDist » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Is that a suitcase for a stand ? :think:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Haha no it's not a crate or a suitcase! It's a big Esky so nice and stable ... Just put some cardboard on so it didn't get damaged by the heat.
Cheers woodsy I was happy enough wth the numbers. Certainly ran fast. As soon as I flicked it on the power pad tripped so ended up running each element on a separate one. I switched one off as soon as I started collecting as well.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby WTDist » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:33 pm

When you strip you can run both elements to strip faster :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Bloody hell I didn't even consider that!!
To be honest I don't think the PC on this still would handle that. I had to run the water really fast to keep the product at a Luke warm rather than hot. When I only had the water running 2L/min I started to get some 'huffing' out of the outlet so increased the water flow to about 3.5L/min.
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Well I have almost finished my first spirit run on this thing and I am impressed.
I am running 22L at 25%. Was planning to run it at 30% but decided to add the extra water for safety (didn't want my element tuning dry)
My first 1L of heads came out at 89%
I am now 4.5L in and still pulling 86%
It is also the cleanest smelling and tasting neutral I have experienced
The definite hearts literally have no smell at all and a diluted spoonful tastes amazingly clean.
I feel like I am getting somewhere. Can't wait to do the cuts tomorrow or Sunday and see how much I end up with.
:dance: :happy-partydance:
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Running the Keggo again.
This time I have 23.5L of low wines from a WBAB at 40%
Running as slow as I can but it is still way to fast I think.
After fores my first litre of heads took only 32 mins and I have my RC water running at about 6L/min so can't go any slower.
But it is coming out right up there % wise
image.jpg

I have really increased the packing by adding another 8 medium SS scrubbers.
Will post an update when I've finished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WalterWhite

Postby WTDist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 pm

dunno if this is off topic or what but it might help...

i wet a tea towel and folded it in half then wrapped this around the top of my column just under my RC on sat night so i could do a run. once it heated up the product would come out and i would re wet it and wrap again over and over until i got out of heads it was like a tap getting turned on and off for a few mins at a time. this worked real well although mine is copper. you could try to help cool as well, even a little can help and i was surprised how easy a wet tea towel could stop the vapor from going through. i also had my water on flat out through the RC :laughing-rolling: Im not sure on the keggomax's but the air outside has affected people distilling outside before so this might work for you. mind you it was very tedious and boring :laughing-rolling:

oh yea this was a single run not low wines with 1.5m packing and hit azeo.
WTDist

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks mate .... Will see if it helps .... The Mrs will be happy I have found another good use for one of her tea towels anyway ;) they normally end up covered in squid ink!!
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Awesome advice WT.
Collection has slowed down, temp has dropped by a degree or two and hitting 95%!
':like:'
WalterWhite

Postby WTDist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm

just make sure you keep cooling it lol. i was using the water from my RC to cool the tea towel down as it was cold still lol
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:27 pm

i thought of pointing a pedistal fan at my tea towel to blow air on it also but i thought i would get the :violence-smack: from the missus lol
WTDist

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm in definite hearts now and just had a taste from the still with a splash of water ... Wow. By far my best stuff yet! The Rowe thing is working well mate ... Got a bucket of cold water with some ice blocks to rapid cool the tea towels and swapping every 5 mins. Think I'm hitting azeo????
image.jpg
WalterWhite

Postby scythe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:12 pm

That looks like a plastic vial you are using to check the ABV.
:naughty:
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:37 pm

:violence-smack: b-(
I haven't got anything else for testing at the moment.
No excuses I know I shouldn't be using it :crying-blue:
WalterWhite

Postby jacobraven » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:55 am

I use the plastic vial my meter come in too :whistle: its only in there for 5 secs but storing is a different story. I also use plastic shot glass to sniff n taste cant be perfect
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby WTDist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:30 am

i must say i use my plastic one too and it is just for a moment. i use my parrot for the rest and record ABV. if i had a glass one i would use it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How did the run go BennyHiggo
WTDist

Postby WalterWhite » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:45 am

The P word has now been used way too much. My fault entirely. DO NOT USE PL**TIC EVER.
Now change of subject ....
The run went waaaay better than expected!
Took 1.5L of heads at 94% ...
Then 3 x 300ml at 94/95 before I started the tea towel trick.
I then collected a further 13x 300ml jars at 95+% before I started collecting for feints (thought I'd be near tails at this point .... I was wrong. Collect 1L at 95% then another 2L starting at 95% down to 55% before I shut down.
Massive improvement on anything I have done before but I didn't achieve full reflux and therefore I will probably still have smeared the feints a bit.
Ordering parts for power controller today so hopefully do better next time.
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 pm

So I have done my cuts tonight.
Ended up with about 5L feints and 5L hearts so I was probably a bit generous!
However it tastes so much better than my previous attempt. It is not a neutral by any stretch but it really does taste quite good. It has a slightly sweet fruity bourbon flavour so interested to see what difference some oak makes. I will deffo call it white dog rather than neutral.
I also pulled out one of my bottles from a previous batch and realised that I managed to get some tails in there. Thought it was ok at the time but 3 weeks later it really has a nasty tails taste so it will be consigned to the next strip runs I do!
WalterWhite

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products