The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:must........ build........ :o :drool: :shock:

Thinking I should just abandon the pot still idea and go with one of these :dance: It's a bloody work of art

I reckon you should make a pot still, but make components that you can use towards another build. ie. build a pot still with a shotgun condenser and easy flanges, not a liberg that's soldered on etc.

Woodduck, i think that you've inspired a lot a little boys around here to want to grow up to be just like you with this build! (i'm one of them) i think i've read this thread cover to cover about 3 times and i still love looking at all the photos. It's nothing but sheer brilliance. :clap:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks guys.

To start with do what maddog suggested, build your pot modular so it can be used as part of your bubbler later.

Don't be sacred to have a go either. As I showed in this thread I used mainly basic tools and none of it is that hard to do, you just need a little patience and some practice and you'll be surprised what you can do.

Good luck with your builds fella's and make sure you do a build thread so we can see the progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Psykamaholik » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Modular pot still it is then!

Just gotta source some supplies now :D
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby raketemensch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm

That's some beautiful work, man. I think this is the thread that finally pushed me over the edge into deciding how to build my bubbler. Copper or glass, sight glasses or tube, how to go from the top plate to the dephleg -- this one answered tons of questions for me, many thanks.

It looks like 5star is out of the sight tubes, which looked great to me because of the gaskets. Is it just PTFE tubing? I'm not sure what to use for those still.

The other thing is that the best deal I can find on tubes outside of 5star is here, but they don't do a 4", just a 5":

http://www.greatglas.com/PyrexCylinders ... HwodrvkMQg

I like the idea of 5", and with the way you handled the transition from the plate to the ferrule for the dephleg would work at the top and the bottom -- I could so straight down to 2" at the bottom, even. But I'm not clear enough on the dimensions of the plates themselves to figure out how large to make them for 5". I guess that getting the tubes themselves would probably make that easier, by drawing up templates.
raketemensch

equipment: I have an air-cooled 2"x36" pot still column with an air-cooled condenser on a 5500-watt keg boiler, as well as a 5-gallon stockpot still (also air-cooled) on an 1800-watt hotplate.

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:57 pm

These will be available again very soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:

5 star borosilicate 4" tube
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby raketemensch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:00 pm

MacStill wrote:These will be available again very soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:

5 star borosilicate 4" tube

As in "before Christmas" soon? My Christmas bonus disappears quickly if I don't plan it well :think:
raketemensch

equipment: I have an air-cooled 2"x36" pot still column with an air-cooled condenser on a 5500-watt keg boiler, as well as a 5-gallon stockpot still (also air-cooled) on an 1800-watt hotplate.

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes should only be a couple of weeks away ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby WTDist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 pm

raketemensch wrote:The other thing is that the best deal I can find on tubes outside of 5star is here, but they don't do a 4", just a 5":

did you scroll down the page man ;-)

4" diameters in heights of 4", 6"and 10"
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Shiftynev » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:08 pm

WTDist wrote:
raketemensch wrote:The other thing is that the best deal I can find on tubes outside of 5star is here, but they don't do a 4", just a 5":

False economy. After dollar conversion and postage your best bet is to go with 5 Star. Your also supporting an Australian business. You also know what your getting and there will always be customer service if required.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby 1 2many » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Shiftynev wrote:
WTDist wrote:

False economy. After dollar conversion and postage your best bet is to go with 5 Star. Your also supporting an Australian business. You also know what your getting and there will always be customer service if required.

Cheers

:text-+1: couldn't agree more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby WTDist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:45 pm

1 2many wrote:
Shiftynev wrote:
WTDist wrote:

Cheers

:text-+1: couldn't agree more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think were missing the point. I am pro FSD. But...

I was pointing out that he was lacking in looking over the site saying that they dont do 4" only 5" when in fact they go all they way up to wo knows what by the .5" or whatever you want. Including 4" :))

Lack of skimming skills :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby raketemensch » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Guilty on all counts, really. The FSD site showed out of stock when I posted them. I'm also not in Australia, and I don't think shipping to the east coast of the US from Australia's exactly cheap. I'm more than ready to be wrong about that, tho. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like those FSD site towers, especially with the matching seals.
raketemensch

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:14 pm

All good buddy, I assumed wrongly that you were a local given there are no location details next to your name. It seems that in your case it is the way to go.
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby raketemensch » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Shiftynev wrote:All good buddy, I assumed wrongly that you were a local given there are no location details next to your name. It seems that in your case it is the way to go.

No offense taken, or intended. I'm a regular over on those 'merican forums, but the level of glass work around here is just amazing, and I'm really drawn to it.
raketemensch

Postby justlearning » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 pm

Old news but awesome build! Thanks for all the info, your getting me inspired....
If you did your RC again, would you change anything? Or are you pretty happy with the 5× 3/4 and 80mm length?
Thanks again for the level of detail and effort you put into this post. Champion!
justlearning

equipment: 2" Reflux Liquid Management with a window
Based on the Carriage Still on this site

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:04 am

No I love my rc. It's quick to respond and will hold full reflux on around 2800w if I remember correctly (I don't hold mine in full reflux when I run so only did it once to find out). If your going to go short make sure you put the baffle plate in, pretty sure that makes the difference.

Good luck with your build
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby justlearning » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Geez your on the ball! i was hoping for a response in the next week!
thanks heaps! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
justlearning

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:09 pm

woodduck wrote:No I love my rc. It's quick to respond and will hold full reflux on around 2800w if I remember correctly (I don't hold mine in full reflux when I run so only did it once to find out). If your going to go short make sure you put the baffle plate in, pretty sure that makes the difference.

Good luck with your build

Woodduck I reckon you're right about the baffle plate, my RC is 85 mm long with 5 x 3/4" internals and can't keep full reflux on 2000 W unless I pack the inside of the internal tubes with copper scrubbers to help conduct the heat of the vapour into the RC. No baffle plate. If I was to make it again I would add a baffle plate. I'm still happy with it though. As woodduck said about his, mine is quick to respond, about 30 seconds after making a change at the gate valve and I see the effect out the PC.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:38 am

Mines same as db's. Like fast response but full reflux for neutral is only at around 2000w. Neutral i run slow anyway so not a biggie..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby justlearning » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:05 am

thanks guys! baffle plate it is!
justlearning

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills