TPW Strip Run Through with McWhiskey

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW Strip Run Through with McWhiskey

Postby flamehawk » Tue May 31, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi All,

Ive not made a TPW before however i intended to strip a few of those then run that strip in with my mcwhiskey.

Essentially, i was looking to be even tighter than i am now :laughing-rolling:

Anyone tried this?
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Re: TPW Strip Run Through with McWhiskey

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 pm

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me, aren't you worried about bringing a tomato flavour through and diluting your macwhiskey flavour?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby flamehawk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 am

Isn't the wash favored for its neutral flavor or an i missing something?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 am

flamehawk wrote:Isn't the wash favored for its neutral flavor or an i missing something?

Yeap but only when run through a reflux or packed section to strip all flavour, or is that your plan? Run through a packed section/ multiple plates on your bubbler then add to the macwhiskey?
Still would be worried it would only dilute the macwhiskey flavour.. But oak might counteract that..
You could try a wbab wash maybe?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:28 am

Consider this flame hawk,

You have a can of solo. It's flavored lemon. Quenches the thirst. You want to boost the quantity, so you add lemonade to it. Now you have lots of drink, with a diluted lemon flavor. Sure, you could try and squeeze some lemons into it to boost the flavor, but it won't have the same, or the "right" flavor.

McWhiskey is a great drop. And TPW as a neutral is fantastic. By combining the 2, you will lose a lot of the base flavor that you went to all that effort to make with the McWhiskey, even after the oaking. It very well might turn into an okay drink, but It also might turn into a waste of time and money.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby WTDist » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 am

i agree with above. unless you strip it in a reflux it will be a tomato flavoured low wines mix, thrown in to a mc whisky.

If you do strip it through a reflux make cuts, keep hearts with no heads or tails and then throw that into the mcwhisky. it will water it down slightly but now much to worry about.

when i bubbler i strip one or 2 washes and add them to a normal wash in the boiler to increase ABV and hearts cut but when i strip them it is the same wash stripped with flavour in it added to the wash of the same sort. adding 2 or so litres of 90% hearts to a mcwhisky wont hurt it too much i recommend refluxing then removing all heads and tails from the TPW
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby flamehawk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:30 am

WTDist wrote:when i bubbler i strip one or 2 washes and add them to a normal wash in the boiler to increase ABV and hearts cut but when i strip them it is the same wash stripped with flavour in it added to the wash of the same sort. adding 2 or so litres of 90% hearts to a mcwhisky wont hurt it too much i recommend refluxing then removing all heads and tails from the TPW

I wasn't going to add it to a finished mcwhisky. I was going to strip the TPW then add the strip into a mcwhishky wash. Essentially looking for a larger hearts cut

Still sound crazy?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby WTDist » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:45 am

flamehawk wrote:
WTDist wrote:when i bubbler i strip one or 2 washes and add them to a normal wash in the boiler to increase ABV and hearts cut but when i strip them it is the same wash stripped with flavour in it added to the wash of the same sort. adding 2 or so litres of 90% hearts to a mcwhisky wont hurt it too much i recommend refluxing then removing all heads and tails from the TPW

I wasn't going to add it to a finished mcwhisky. I was going to strip the TPW then add the strip into a mcwhishky wash. Essentially looking for a larger hearts cut

Still sound crazy?

thats exactly what i was saying. strip the TPW but reflux it so there is no flavour and remove heads and tails. then fill your boiler with the mcwhisky 'wash' and then put in the TPW hearts. distill all as one not add in after distilled. the neutral will take on the flavour of the mcwhisky wash

the way i do it is... say im doing CFW, i would strip 1 or 2 of those washes. then put those stripped washes in the boiler, and top up with CFW wash and do a bubbler run as normal. increased hearts yeald and can go bit faster. i dont remove heads on the stripped CFW but if i was refluxing a TPW neutral i would remove heads and tails as they are bland neutral crap. no point adding that to a wash but CFW heads and tails yea add them. also reflux is best as you dont want to add tomato flavour in to the mcwhisky
WTDist

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:32 am

Why TPW? Why not CFW or WBAB?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby flamehawk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm

I figured TPW would have no flavor...

Yeah might be better for CFW
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby WTDist » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:08 pm

flamehawk wrote:I figured TPW would have no flavor...

Yeah might be better for CFW

TPW is a cheap clean wash good for neutral, having said that it is far from neutral itself when pot stilled. its once its refluxed that it is nuetral. stripping through a pot leaves it tasting like tomato. hence refluxing it
WTDist

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:45 am

If you want something cheap to bring the cost of Macwhiskey down a bit, you'll be much better off using a CFW rather than a TPW...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Nino » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If you want something cheap to bring the cost of Macwhiskey down a bit, you'll be much better off using a CFW rather than a TPW...

:text-+1:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Return to Sugar wash's