Willards Irish Cream

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Willards Irish Cream

Postby SBB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm

I havn't had time to try many flavorings yet but the one that stands out and has been a hit with most that have tried it was Willards Irish Cream.
Tried a Willards Black Sambucca which isn't to bad either.
Also had a crack at a SS Rum Liquor........pretty disapointed in this one :(
Being new to this I'm pretty keen to hear what others think is worth buying in the way of flavors.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Willards Irish Cream

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Yes, that willards Irish cream is the ducks nuts, it is the only store bought flavor I use and I love the stuff.

The only thing I do different is use corn likker instead of vodka, and it's fucking awesome.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 pm

I don't buy them but you can do a few things with stuff around the house, from memory one I do which is quite good:

3 ltrs vodka,
5 peppercorns,
8 cloves,
1 tbsp sugar,
6 bay leaves,
lemon zest,
vanilla bean and
a couple of pieces of medium char oak.

Got the recipie of HD, it's a Russian Cognac knockoff.

Another one is add 1 bottle of natural coconut essence from coles to 1 ltr of your rum made from mollases - very nice better than malibu.

Got a couple of others too I'll post in the future i.e aniseed and sugar.
reknaw

Postby SBB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm also hearing good things about Essencia Bourbon Chunks.......anyone had experiance with these????
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Never tried them, I have'nt done a lot with oak. I use raw oak, oak I char myself or wine barrel that I char. I want to try spiceing my own rum, making caramel and using that and a few other things :)
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 pm

SBB wrote:I'm also hearing good things about Essencia Bourbon Chunks.......anyone had experiance with these????
SBB

When I first started out they were what I kept going back too, I actually thought it was quite nice but wouldnt look back now I'm doing grain wash's.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 am

I can also say this is a rather nice choice for lovers of Baileys. The first bottle of spirits I made, I used some of the Bodines "Sour Mash" Bourbon, I must say it wasn't to my liking so I wont be buying more. If I remember I have only had one glass out of the bottle.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby darbwah » Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 pm

i like edwards single malt scotch. i tried their irish cream it tasted nice but i mixed it at 40% which was probably a bit much. sam willards single malt was ordinary, so is still spirits finest reservre scotch whiskey. sam willards dark queenslander and smooth rums arent too bad. im sure others tastes would disagree with me though
darbwah

equipment: 2" boka. 50l keg boiler. 2200w

Postby audistiller » Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 pm

I think you will find Darb its all about personal taste, I quite liked this Irish Cream, and I also mixed it a 40%, but that's what it recommended. I actually quite like Midori and Lemonade, while I don't go nuts over it, its quite a nice change, so I bought the Sam Willards Melon Liquor mix today, although I might try and water is down just a bit.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby tipsy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm

tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 pm

The first 2 are premix, so you just mix it with your neutral and i reckon the 3rd might need a base mix added, but im not 100% sure.

I use a couple of Willards liqueurs and they go fine, but am yet to try the Baileys. I've also emailed them direct with some questions and they replied quickly and were very helpful, so that may help you out.

Heres a link to their site http://samuelwillards.com.au/

Woodsy
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 pm

SBB wrote:I'm also hearing good things about Essencia Bourbon Chunks.......anyone had experiance with these????
SBB

I've used them,used the bourban chunks.not bad at all mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: big fan of the American gobbler bourbon chips as well.
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby tipsy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:54 am

Woodsy71 wrote:The first 2 are premix, so you just mix it with your neutral and i reckon the 3rd might need a base mix added, but im not 100% sure.

I use a couple of Willards liqueurs and they go fine, but am yet to try the Baileys. I've also emailed them direct with some questions and they replied quickly and were very helpful, so that may help you out.

Heres a link to their site http://samuelwillards.com.au/

Woodsy

Thanks Woodsy, I'll go right to the source. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby ozybottler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm

i love the S.W irish cream tastes great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby Dyno » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Dropped into the HBS today to grab some more yeast and got looking and thinking about putting something on the shelf for the Mrs and me. Grabbed a Willards Irish Cream and a Sambucca Nero. Going by this thread its sounds pretty good. Have been on a wheat vodka binge of late so have a ton of nice neutral in stock. Are there any better ones out there anyone knows of ? Haven't used essences for a long while so bit of a stab in the dark. Im actually looking forward to not having to age anything for once and have a drink.
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 pm

The Willards Choc Rum Liqueur premix goes well. Great with milk on ice.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Plumby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:11 pm

My hbs has a Turkish Delight liquer, its nice and the ladies like it, a bit sweet for me though, the Willard's melon liquer is a nice middorie knock off as well and the Irish cream is a winner for my mrs. You could also try the home made stuff try the strawberry g dropper recipe also the musk sticks and redskins vodka are always a bit of a hit as well.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Plumby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:The Willards Choc Rum Liqueur premix goes well. Great with milk on ice.

:text-+1: very, very nice
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Dyno » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Plumby wrote:
Woodsy71 wrote:The Willards Choc Rum Liqueur premix goes well. Great with milk on ice.

:text-+1: very, very nice

Cheers fellas. Dunno about you blokes but I get one eyed an blinkered an head on down the path of the old whiskeys and stuff. Then sit around whinging that I got fk all to drink.. lol. Vodka has been a trip tho so pretty happy on that front. Anyways, gonna mix up this willards shortly . There' might be a cheap Mrs going soon if she turns her nose up :))
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Slowey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 am

Hi all,

Ive bought a bottle of the willards express premix, once mixed, what sort of shelf life does this irish cream have, I was told the still spirits was only a week.
I want to make some up for Christmas gifts, but if its only good for a week it could be risky.

Cheers Shaun
Slowey

equipment: 2" Boka Still, 30L Electric boiler, PID controlled(still nutting it out)

Next

Return to Essences