The Geber V1 Build

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: The Geber V1 Build

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:48 pm

A bit more progress tonight, put together the PC, 500mm long with 5 1/2" tubes. Decided to have a go at brazing rather than soldering, the top with have a 2" SS ferulle attached by a coupler, the bottom I'm not to sure about yet. Final leak test once its cooled down, had 1 pinhole to fix up, hopefully all is good and I can get the coupler on tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Good stuff Taz, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you going to have flanges each end? or attach the cone directly to one end?
If funds and materials suit I highly recommend making the cone modular. It would make cleaning a breeze and if it develops a leak you don't have to hack the cone off to reach the leak.

Just my findings any way :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:53 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Good stuff Taz, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you going to have flanges each end? or attach the cone directly to one end?
If funds and materials suit I highly recommend making the cone modular. It would make cleaning a breeze and if it develops a leak you don't have to hack the cone off to reach the leak.

Just my findings any way :D

Im not sure my skills are upto making my own modular cone, the condenser seems to be leak free :pray: I have just soft soldered the coupler onto the top, in case it needs to come off, luckily I already have a bubbler so I can take my time to nut out the bottom, might just clean it up, chuck a easy flange on it and take the cone off my FSD rig and use that while I sort it out. :think: Im still going to need some out of stock bits to finish my tees, maybe I need to order some more bits for the bottom end.
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

So I scrounged up some bits and put the pc together, this is going to be a prototype, if it works out I will pull the bottom of and make it modular, if not I will use it as a stripping condenser on a gas fired boiler and build a 2.5"-3" one. With 400L cooling water my FSD condenser will keep the temp to about 20-22' for a five hour spirit run, I'm hoping to better that with more length and a extra tube. My blockhead needs a bit of adjustment, its about 1.5mm out, will have a bit of a play when I get a chance later in the week. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Look great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:05 pm

No leaks, holding temp @ 19'. The water is a bit warmer today after a prolonged warm spell down here( 4 days now :laughing-rolling: )Going to rework the bottom end, try make it modular and fix up the blockhead in the next few days. Expecting a parcel from FSD soon, things are moving ahead. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Got the second Tee completed and the Blockhead fixed up last night, citric bath overnight. Doing the sac run now, no leaks after 45 mins :D
TasSpirits

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Nice job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Awsome stuff mate. Welcome to the bubbles :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Last 2 Tees finished tonight(will post pics later) :happy-partydance: Most likely wont get to do a cleaning run and sac run until after xmas :angry-banghead: I need some input on the Reflux condenser please, I'm thinking 100mm with 15 1/2" tubes, cooling will be a IBC and element will be on a controller. If I can get away with a shorter RC I can leave the still where it is, with the packed section on if I'm doing a neutral run. Also will I get faster response when making changes? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Have much watt's have you got to play with?
100mm long is a good size if your going to put 15 1/2inch tubes.

With mine the time delay is barely noticible at probably 20-30 seconds. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:17 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Have much watt's have you got to play with?
100mm long is a good size if your going to put 15 1/2inch tubes.

With mine the time delay is barely noticible at probably 20-30 seconds. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

up to 4800w generally only use 2400 for spirit runs. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:28 pm

All 4 tee section complete :happy-partydance: doing a vinegar run tonight, sac run tomorrow. RC will be next. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.