Oaking Technique Thread

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Oaking Technique Thread

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:18 am

skurvy84 wrote:
Oak treatment prior to aging, toast/char?twas charred lightly on one side
The different treatment of the dominoes will give different flavours. Hence the use of a light toast to a dark char

Cheers

Was locked out while still editing my comments.
:-x
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby skurvy84 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 pm

No worries dogbreathvodka, was my first time oakibg somethibg so figured I can only learn something.

Did make a load of difference which I was very happy with. Making some spirit for gifts later in the year so hopefully the recipients will be happy with the flavour. I have noticed that it has continued to get nicer as the essence and oaked tpw neutral have "matured" (probably the wrong way to described it). Seems to he alot more together if that makes sense.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Awesome thread, :handgestures-thumbupleft: wondering people that pre soak oak in another spirit /flavour/port etc. How long do you leave it before putting it in with the spirit?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:52 pm

bluc wrote:Awesome thread, :handgestures-thumbupleft: wondering people that pre soak oak in another spirit /flavour/port etc. How long do you leave it before putting it in with the spirit?

I've just started soaking charred oak in red wine but there's no method to my madness as yet.
Just soak some staves in red wine for a few weeks, then I dry them in the oven before adding to my wbab.
Adds a nice flavour change
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Ok interesting the thought of re drying never crossed my mind..ok will give it a couple of weeks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Cols15 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm

I use my 12mth old corn whisky staves in malt whisky. I dont re-dry in a oven but i just let them sit out in the open for a couple of day before putting them in a zip lock bag until needed.
I have a jar of toasted american oak staves sitting in sweet sherry for 12mths. For malt whisky.
I have a jar of american oak staves sitting in port for 12mths. Maybe use in rum or malt whisky.
Cols15

equipment: Mac Pot Still 2"
4" Bubbler, 4 plates and 500mm packed section
50lt 4.8kw Boiler

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am

Hi all, just thought I'd breath a bit of life into this thread with a different question.

I acquired a fairly old 20ltr barrel that was originally used for port. In the past I've filled with neutral from turbos (before I knew better), just to draw out the port flavours in preparation for a BWKO. I emptied this last year so filled with water to keep the wood tight and not leaking, I fear this was my first mistake, this and the 12-18 months of time and fluctuations of temperature and seasons. Just checked to see how the water level was and there was only about 8ltrs left, obviously evaporation and the wood has taken it up but I have a bigger issue I think.
Although it had no smell, what I could see through the top hole looked pretty manky, so I'll pour into a bucket later when the sun comes up and see what's there and post a photo.

After all of this, is there any safe way of 'cleaning' the insides of a barrel without damaging or tasting the oak, or, as they say in the classics.... "it's rooted"

Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby southern45 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 am

Doubleuj wrote:I've just started soaking charred oak in red wine but there's no method to my madness as yet.
Just soak some staves in red wine for a few weeks, then I dry them in the oven before adding to my wbab.
Adds a nice flavour change

Well there's my weekend mini-project sorted! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging