AG is even more simple than me!

all about mashing and fermenting grains

AG is even more simple than me!

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Thought I'd make a little post to encourage guys who think all grain brewing is too hard and daunting for them. It's actually really easy and rewarding.
I'm making a larger soon, but the larger yeast I had was a bit old, and I wast too sure how viable it would be, so decided to make a yeast starter which would be a good way to level up!
First I weighed out 450g of malt barley and ground it up.
IMG_2708.JPG

I measured out 1.5l of water straight out of the kettle into my thermos. It was a little hot so I replaced about 200mm with tap water which got it back to about 70 degrees C. Stired the malt in which dropped the temp to 64.9 and filled the thermos. Screwed the lid on and forgot about it for a couple of hours.
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG

After I drained that out, I batch sparged, which consisted of me filling the thermos with kettle water, waiting 10 minutes and straining the wort out. I ended up with 2.5 litres which I boiled on the stove for 15 minutes then dropped into the 2.6l glass jar fermenter which was pre sterilised while still hot.
IMG_2711.JPG
Next morning I dropped in my rehydrated 11g packet of saflarger s23 yeast. And there you have it. All grain mashing with very basic equipment done in the missus kitchen. Admittedly 2.5L isn't much wort when making whiskey but I thought it was a good demonstration of not needing flash gear to do it. I usually do 30l batches in an esky. It's not hard! So I challenge you all to give it a go some time!

-mad dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Re: AG is even more simple than me!

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Awesome share!

This will be my next adventure...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Clickeral » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 am

I have a t500 boiler that I use for BIAB and ive also used my milkcan, really need to clean my chilly bin and put a manifold in it for 50L batches
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby ed9362 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Clickeral wrote:I have a t500 boiler that I use for BIAB and ive also used my milkcan, really need to clean my chilly bin and put a manifold in it for 50L batches

how much wort do you end up with in the T500 boiler once you have taken the grain out?
i have been thinking about this alot lately, seems the only way to make a decent scotch knock off
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Clickeral » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:42 pm

ed9362 wrote:
Clickeral wrote:I have a t500 boiler that I use for BIAB and ive also used my milkcan, really need to clean my chilly bin and put a manifold in it for 50L batches

how much wort do you end up with in the T500 boiler once you have taken the grain out?
i have been thinking about this alot lately, seems the only way to make a decent scotch knock off

I aim for 22L ferments

But its about 19L after I remove the grain, 25L mash in and then I sparge to top it back upto 25-26L for when I boil

If your making a mash for spirits you wont need to boil at the end

Aim for 5-6kg with 25L and then just top it up with water to your desired gravity (1050)
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm making a list of bits to start buying, going to turn a 110L esky into a tun, first thing is to make a stand. I am going to go for RIMS system with a PID to control heating and a pump to recirculate. Mashing is pretty simple with quality ingredients, back to back mash's are a PITA.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:52 pm

110L Eski will do you well tas, I have a 105L and can get a 100L wash out of it pretty easy. Usually back to back to fill my fermenter. I found it holds temp so well heating isn't needed but would be handy for protein rests.

Completely agree that it's easy and anyone can manage it with a little reading and forethought. Strike temp is critical but easy to calculate. Brewersfriend has all the calculators you'll need for free. It will work out all the hard bits for you.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I'm making a list of bits to start buying, going to turn a 110L esky into a tun, first thing is to make a stand. I am going to go for RIMS system with a PID to control heating and a pump to recirculate. Mashing is pretty simple with quality ingredients, back to back mash's are a PITA.

RIMS or HERMES system can be advantageous, but not critical by any stretch of the imagination! If you have your mash ton insulated well, it won't drop more than a degree over a 60 minute mash which is fine.
Also, regarding your comment regarding quality ingredients, I malted my own barley. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but from 450g I got 2.5l of wort at 1.38.
#airpunch #nailedit
I keep reminding myself that people were doing this about the same time they were designing the wheel. It's really not rocket science! Give it a go fellas.
Oh and on a side note, I'm giving away 25kg bags of barley to any member who is willing to malt it themselves!
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm

maddogpearse wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:I'm making a list of bits to start buying, going to turn a 110L esky into a tun, first thing is to make a stand. I am going to go for RIMS system with a PID to control heating and a pump to recirculate. Mashing is pretty simple with quality ingredients, back to back mash's are a PITA.

RIMS or HERMES system can be advantageous, but not critical by any stretch of the imagination! If you have your mash ton insulated well, it won't drop more than a degree over a 60 minute mash which is fine.
Also, regarding your comment regarding quality ingredients, I malted my own barley. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, but from 450g I got 2.5l of wort at 1.38.
#airpunch #nailedit
I keep reminding myself that people were doing this about the same time they were designing the wheel. It's really not rocket science! Give it a go fellas.
Oh and on a side note, I'm giving away 25kg bags of barley to any member who is willing to malt it themselves!

Quality ingredients speak for them selves, you obviously got it right with your own malt, big :handgestures-thumbupleft: Once the tun is built, malting my own is the next step. Im going RIMS to try and up efficiency, with my current set up I am pretty much hitting between 1.055 and 1.065 every time now, just want to do it on a larger scale :D
Last edited by TasSpirits on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Hmm malting is something I'm interested in getting into but I have way more malt than I'll be able to use this winter but for future needs I'd love to hear about your process. Perhaps a separate thread?

Edit. Also if you've peat smoke dried even more interested lol
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 pm

coffe addict wrote:Hmm malting is something I'm interested in getting into but I have way more malt than I'll be able to use this winter but for future needs I'd love to hear about your process. Perhaps a separate thread?

Edit. Also if you've peat smoke dried even more interested lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddogpearse

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: think you've got a write up to do lol
coffe addict

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey tas or anyone else did you get a pid setup happening rims and a pid is first quarter next year project..Would love to have a go at malting. Keeping critters out while malting drying would be the hard part.. :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to The Mash tun