Boiling Molasses

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Boiling Molasses

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey Rush,
Bought it from Landmark Broome, lol they supplied it from Perth! If that's the only Molasses I can get I won't waste any more of my time.. been trying to do Gens making an all molasses wash (I wanted something stronger) but I've had nothing but trouble!

Of corse there's the possibility that I am the problem!

I've given myself till the end of the drum to get some consistency and with that, hopefully, something worthwhile putting in a glass...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

If gens are failing ezi try doing smaller batchs and compounding the oils. Taste is very similar. On spirit run collect right down low. When it goes cloudy keep it seperate and collect till it clears again around 15% if I remember correctly. Tip this milky stuff in with spirit runs if too in your face put it in with strip runs (do you even do strip runs?) It needs plenty time with oak.While i am here can i ask what you like about iridium is it fruity, molasses'y, or rummy?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Are you adjustiing ph ezi?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rush006 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 pm

EziTasting wrote:Hey Rush,
Bought it from Landmark Broome, lol they supplied it from Perth! If that's the only Molasses I can get I won't waste any more of my time.. been trying to do Gens making an all molasses wash (I wanted something stronger) but I've had nothing but trouble!

I've given myself till the end of the drum to get some consistency and with that, hopefully, something worthwhile putting in a glass...

Don't worry I've had a run of bad luck with my rum as well. I think it is the molasses. will source some good stuff from down south and see how it goes. Ive just put down a 50/50 rum and a 100% rum both boiled to kill any bad bacteria in this bad molasses. My theory, and this is only a theory is that if you take the clarification to boiling it kills off any of the bad bacteria and you get a cleaner ferment. the last few runs were not boiled and there were next to no hearts. some of the best rum i have made has been from boiling the molasses in the clarification process. these next two runs will at least give me an idea if I'm going in the right direction with my theory. The mixture definitely tasted better after the boil.Before boil it had a sharp earthy taste and after boil back to sweet molasses. hopefully that follows through to the final product. I have about a litre left of that 1 run that has made the best rum I have made and if i could make it again ill be a very happy man. :dance:
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Rush006 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm

If one of my runs are absolutely shit i keep the product and let it air a bit with a loose lid and add it to my feints run and get what ever i can out of it. My last feints run produced quite a lot of half decent rum. double distilling all the shit gives you some good stuff to drink :shock: :D and i run it slow to get as clean as i can with good separation.
Rush006

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Rush006 wrote:If one of my runs are absolutely shit i keep the product and let it air a bit with a loose lid and add it to my feints run and get what ever i can out of it. My last feints run produced quite a lot of half decent rum. double distilling all the shit gives you some good stuff to drink :shock: :D and i run it slow to get as clean as i can with good separation.

Hmmm this sounds interesting! I will certainly keep track of this nugget.

bluc wrote:Are you adjustiing ph ezi?

Usually I do, but my pH meter pooped itself so I'm currently flying blind. What I know ( :)) ) the molasses seems acidic (stripped the chrome off the pump tube), I know it dissolved an oyster shell completely, I know it doesn't ferment regularly - some don't seem to want to ferment at all and I've had stripping runs that START @ 15%ABV :scared-eek:

Rush006 wrote:Don't worry I've had a run of bad luck with my rum as well. I think it is the molasses. will source some good stuff from down south and see how it goes. Ive just put down a 50/50 rum and a 100% rum both boiled to kill any bad bacteria in this bad molasses. My theory, and this is only a theory is that if you take the clarification to boiling it kills off any of the bad bacteria and you get a cleaner ferment. the last few runs were not boiled and there were next to no hearts. some of the best rum i have made has been from boiling the molasses in the clarification process. these next two runs will at least give me an idea if I'm going in the right direction with my theory. The mixture definitely tasted better after the boil.Before boil it had a sharp earthy taste and after boil back to sweet molasses. hopefully that follows through to the final product. I have about a litre left of that 1 run that has made the best rum I have made and if i could make it again ill be a very happy man. :dance:

This is what I'm going thru right now and seems to fit in with my results. Unfortunately I'm rather busy with work at the moment so am unable to do anything about it, but I'm hoping that in 2 weekends time I'll be able to do just as you've suggested, boil it. It is unfortunate that I can't take the pH right now as I'm sure it will complete the picture, but boiling it I will even IF it is only to kill off any bacteria in the wash (by that it will also kill the yeasty-beasties and that'll just be more nutrients!). This will also dilute the existing wash (molasses and Dunder) to a more manageable liquidity (for want of a better word) as that has been mentioned that that might also affect the yeast... I don't know I just want to make something I will enjoy!

bluc wrote:While i am here can i ask what you like about iridium is it fruity, molasses'y, or rummy?

Where do I start?!?! First of all it is unbelievably smooth. I compared it to Ord River (Hoochery) Rum as being almost the same, but they aren't! Not that I did't enjoy the Hoochery Rum but they are NOT close!
I.m not certain I understand what you mean about Molassesy or Rummy - I don't have that much experience, but if we take Bundaberg Rum as tasting Molassesy, then NO it isn't like that. I do get a strong sense of caramel and it is distinctly a Rum but it is soo very lovely! Damn, I wish I had some now - I drink it neat because I don't want to taint the flavour with any of the mixers! I'd sip it like an expensive Whisky. At $70/ bottle it is definitely one of the most underrated drinks on the market! It's a nugget!
EziTasting

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 18, 2017 11:51 pm

:teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:

:laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

Postby Rush006 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 pm

will have to give it a try. I usually buy El Dorado 12 year, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, and ron zacapa solera 23 when I do buy. so always comparing my rum to some of the best in my opinion. another good rum if you have not tried it is the Pusser 15 year in a red label. all the above rums are like mothers milk to me. :D
Rush006

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 20, 2017 2:13 am

lol I also love El Dorado!

It's different to Iridium, tho
EziTasting

Postby wynnum1 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:38 am

EziTasting wrote:Hey Rush,

Have a look at Sugar Industry Chemicals they use a lot of different chemicals to make raw sugar and molasses is probably where the residue ends up and if they use caustic would think that acid would needed to neutralise
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 20, 2017 8:21 am

wynnum1 wrote:Have a look at Sugar Industry Chemicals they use a lot of different chemicals to make raw sugar and molasses is probably where the residue ends up and if they use caustic would think that acid would needed to neutralise

You think this is a general occurrence? So, its more concentrated in the lower quality versions of molasses?!?

Have some time this weekend to 'boil' up some of the last wash; unfortunately my pH meter still hasn't arrived (God bless the postal service) so I'm still in the dark to a large extent...
EziTasting

Postby wynnum1 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 am

Would think that there would be set limits for ph before they sell but if they adjust what does that do to the molasses if they used sulphuric acid would that add sulfur preservatives.
wynnum1

Postby Azza76 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 am

bluc wrote:While i am here can i ask what you like about iridium is it fruity, molasses'y, or rummy?

Where do I start?!?! First of all it is unbelievably smooth. I compared it to Ord River (Hoochery) Rum as being almost the same, but they aren't! Not that I did't enjoy the Hoochery Rum but they are NOT close!
I.m not certain I understand what you mean about Molassesy or Rummy - I don't have that much experience, but if we take Bundaberg Rum as tasting Molassesy, then NO it isn't like that. I do get a strong sense of caramel and it is distinctly a Rum but it is soo very lovely! Damn, I wish I had some now - I drink it neat because I don't want to taint the flavour with any of the mixers! I'd sip it like an expensive Whisky. At $70/ bottle it is definitely one of the most underrated drinks on the market! It's a nugget![/quote]

It is well worth a run, it has a bold molasses sweet flavour with no back sweetener added to cover up a shit product. Ageing on French oak as well makes for a winner for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I also picked up a bottle of rum from Lark when I was in Tasmania aged in whiskey barrels yet to open it might save it for a special occasion :think: anyone had a go at that one?
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

Azza76 wrote:I also picked up a bottle of rum from Lark when I was in Tasmania aged in whiskey barrels yet to open it might save it for a special occasion :think: anyone had a go at that one?

Not even heard of it. Throw up a pic ...
EziTasting

Postby Azza76 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:09 pm

The lark rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

IMG_0094.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Azza76

2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby Azza76 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm

IMG_0095.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Azza76

2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Nice!
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sat May 20, 2017 8:27 pm

:text-+1: whats it taste like :teasing-tease:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Azza76 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Like a nice rum with a hint of single malt flavour hard to explain till u try it they call it a whisky drinkers rum
Azza76

2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby Rush006 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 am

conclusion on boiling shit molasses is it still ferments shit rum. WA molasses is total shit at the moment. need to import some good stuff from the east coast. QLD

this is doing my head in. Ive only made rum for 99% of my time still'n and 99% all good stuff. last 6 ferments are all shit and I'm putting it down to bad molasses.
Rush006

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's