Spiced rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Spiced rum

Postby Lowie » Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 am

I'm thinking of experimenting with a spiced rum in the bubbler along the similar lines of making gin. Thoughts so far...
1. 25l macs rum wash straight into the boiler, no stripping
2. Remove the packing from the packed section to retain the height
3. Fill the gin caddy in My Blockhead with various spices - cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc (this is where the real experiment will begin).

Has anyone tried this? If so, I can't find the thread...

On another note, do you guys leave the packing in the packed section to get the best quality neutral when running gin?

Cheers
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Spiced rum

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 20, 2017 8:34 am

Lowie wrote:I'm thinking of experimenting with a spiced rum in the bubbler along the similar lines of making gin. Thoughts so far...
1. 25l macs rum wash straight into the boiler, no stripping
2. Remove the packing from the packed section to retain the height
3. Fill the gin caddy in My Blockhead with various spices - cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc (this is where the real experiment will begin).

On another note, do you guys leave the packing in the packed section to get the best quality neutral when running gin?

Cheers

This sounds very interesting, Lowie!
I don't have a Gin Caddy but why the hell not!?! I would think that when making a spiced Rum you'd want to leave out the packing as that'll remove flavour... I you read all the 'theory' about making neutrals, they add the packing and use more plates than for anything else in order to STRIP the flavour out! So, as rum is a flavoured drink, as in generally "self-flavoured" coming from the ingredients put in, you'd want to leave all that extra stuff out!

A lot of guys run their rum in either pot still mode OR on 4 or less plates without the packing so they get the flavour that is right for them....

But it seems you're venturing into a newish field here so I'll be waiting with interest for your results!

"If you don't have a go, you'll never know!"
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Magnus » Sat May 20, 2017 8:45 am

I'd be more inclined to strip the rum first and then add the spices while in the hearts of the spirit run.
With gin I make the neutral first and fill the boiler with neutral diluted down to 40%, I still take a fores cut then put the basket in, that way none of the spice is wasted. Take cuts as usual through the run cos you'll get different flavors as the run progresses. Blend after.

Going straight from a rum wash there is always the chance of a puke which will ruin your day.
Using strip, or even better use what you would normally keep and age for rum you'll be getting a lot more spiced rum to play with and most likely need more than one basket of spice, you can try different lots of spice in the same run.

As far as plates or packing goes, I'd leave the packing out, add a plate or two or three depending on the AVB you want it to come off at.
Magnus

equipment: 3" still

Postby Minpac » Sat May 20, 2017 9:17 am

:text-+1:

It'll waste less of your botanicals that way, but maybe lose some of the depth of the rum flavour?

I think you'll have to try both! :-B
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Urrazeb » Sat May 20, 2017 4:52 pm

You'll want to run as normal for a rum, whether you do single runs or strip and spirit runs, make cuts and then use the hearts for the flavoured rum run. This will ensure maximum flavour from the botanicals and you won't need to make cuts nor add the basket to a hot still as different botanicals release at different ABV's and temps.

I leave the packing in for gin, the caddy goes above the packing in my case. Depending on your preference (it's very personal) you can then run hard or slow depending on what flavour profile you're after and target take off ABV.

Shoot for about 20-30gm of botanicals per 1L of hearts at 40% ABV in the boiler.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Lowie » Sat May 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Urrazeb wrote:You'll want to run as normal for a rum, whether you do single runs or strip and spirit runs, make cuts and then use the hearts for the flavoured rum run. This will ensure maximum flavour from the botanicals and you won't need to make cuts nor add the basket to a hot still as different botanicals release at different ABV's and temps.

I leave the packing in for gin, the caddy goes above the packing in my case. Depending on your preference (it's very personal) you can then run hard or slow depending on what flavour profile you're after and target take off ABV.

Shoot for about 20-30gm of botanicals per 1L of hearts at 40% ABV in the boiler.

Cheers mate. Perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Lowie wrote:I'm thinking of experimenting with a spiced rum in the bubbler along the similar lines of making gin.

Cheers

Just wondering how you got on with this concept and if you had some good results? :think:

Wouldn't mind having a go myself if it worth it!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 am

Just out of curiosity, do the big boys make it like a gin with a basket or flavour it through maceration or similar. I cant see them using a gin type setup as its a whole new kettle of fish for them.
I would've thought they'd steep or add flavours later.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 am

warramungas wrote:Just out of curiosity, do the big boys make it like a gin with a basket or flavour it through maceration or similar. I cant see them using a gin type setup as its a whole new kettle of fish for them.
I would've thought they'd steep or add flavours later.

We make our rum first then infuse the botanicals using 50 liter vacuum chambers made out of modified kegs... these are then put into a water bath heated to 67 degrees celcius... this is the fastest and most consistent method we have developed ...to do this at home try using mason jars and a food saver type vacuum with a jar vacuum attachment.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Return to Recipe Development